PDA

View Full Version : When should captain take over control after F/O landing?

Tee Emm
21st Mar 2007, 11:24
In the B737 the captain has the nose wheel tiller. Often captains prematurely take control of the landing run from the first officer's landing at speeds varying from 80 knots down to 50 knots but very rarely allow the F/O to retain control until the aircraft has reached a safe taxi speed. Seems that captains have individual "twitch" factors. The more twitchier, the quicker they grab control from the F/O. There is adequate nosewheel steering via the rudder pedals so why the blinding hurry to take control especially if reverse thrust is still being applied by the F/O.

I Just Drive
21st Mar 2007, 11:48
It depends where the turnoff is. If it is at the end, no hurry but if it is coming up fast then its easier to judge the braking requirement.

LRdriver II
21st Mar 2007, 13:03
I try to let them get to taxi speeds as I have found that taking over too early does not give F/O's the chance to get used to the brakes and directional control at low speeds beyond where you would stow the reversers. The Challanger 604 only has one tiller but can be twitchy under brakes so taking over too quick denies them the practice. Also we have no auto brakes so landing on wet runways means that you could compromise landing distance by transitioning braking control, so I just lets them stay on them, antiskid clicking away getting the practice in.

click
21st Mar 2007, 14:19
Twitch factor is directly proportional to the number of sphincter contractions one's had to endure as a result of space cadet landings. :E
Everyone goofs up but trying to grease on a landing at max landing weight with a tailwind on a short runway results in an early onset of the twitchies.

flyboyike
21st Mar 2007, 14:32
At our airline the Captain makes the 70kt call, which is my cue to stow the TRs, then at about 50 he'll say something like "I'm on the brakes with you", followed shortly by "I have the controls". So, it's kind of a gradual process.

divinehover
21st Mar 2007, 19:27
Fly an Airbus. Then the Capt will never need to take over:)