PDA

View Full Version : Second Life

22clipper
20th Mar 2007, 21:12
Watched a doco on 'second life' where like minded people get together in cyberspace & interact. Bit like pprune except that you have an 'avitar' animated character moving in a virtual 3D world.

I was thinking of maybe setting up shop in this new domain, I though Honest Clippers used helicopter sales had a nice ring to it. It was then that my youngsters pointed out that you just fly around or teleport in SecondLife, rotary wing assistance not required. I'm shattered!

NickLappos
21st Mar 2007, 07:38
".....you just fly around or teleport in SecondLife...."

22clipper, that cannot be. Imagine what the CAA would do to someone who hadn't got the right little piece of paper from the government allowing them to teleport, the cheek of some people!

topendtorque
21st Mar 2007, 11:53
I too had some wayward thoughts along the same line.

What a good sim it would be and so cheap too.

As i got old and doddery, well more than now, I could keep on teaching these young whippersnappers a few tricks as to how to muster cattle - just show em, "what - we - useter - do - when - we - were - yungfullas - like."

all sorts of things, loop the loop, double and triple half suck backs, my fantasies ran wild, then they brought on the bloody sex toys and dammit the phone rang again.

and then I thought, like minded people, like drivers, there never would be any real flying done again.

22clipper
21st Mar 2007, 21:54
What an evil thought Nick, some Gubmet red tape to gum up their brave new world. We could do such a good job of it, as only guys who have suffered under such regulatory schemes could. The devil is in the detail & our combined knowledge of what really annoys in paperwork would serve us well, like the Oz CASA forms that end by asking you to estimate how long it took you till fill 'em in ( I always reckoned it was so they could make 'em take longer).

You saw that show too Topend? Fancy having to purchase a donegr? Reminds me of the joke about the French president's wife who, when asked by a journalist what she wanted out of life, replied happiness. Unfortunately her accent made it sound like 'a penis'!

kissmysquirrel
21st Mar 2007, 23:09
So how about this? A second Life CAA to regulate all that teleporting? make a bloody fortune. Wish I hadn't mentioned it here now. I could have retired on the income.
:E :E

22clipper
21st Mar 2007, 23:41
I'm sure it's been posted before, but seems appropriate......

High Flight, (with CASA Supplement)
Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth(1),
And danced(2) the skies on laughter silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed(3) and joined the tumbling mirth(4)
Of sun-split clouds(5) and done a hundred things(6)
You have not dreamed of — Wheeled and soared and swung(7)
High in the sunlit silence(8). Hov'ring there(9)
I've chased the shouting wind(10) along and flung(11)
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious(12), burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights(13) with easy grace,
Where never lark, or even eagle(14) flew;
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space(15),
Put out my hand(16), and touched the face of God.
NOTE:
1. Pilots must insure that all surly bonds have been slipped entirely before aircraft taxi or flight is attempted.
2. During periods of severe sky dancing, crew and passengers must keep seatbelts fastened. Crew should wear shoulderbelts as provided.
3. Sunward climbs must not exceed the maximum permitted aircraft ceiling.
4. Passenger aircraft are prohibited from joining the tumbling mirth.
5. Pilots flying through sun-split clouds under VFR conditions must comply with all applicable minimum clearances.
6. Do not perform these hundred things in front of CASA inspectors.
7. Wheeling, soaring, and swinging will not be attempted except in aircraft rated for such activities and within utility class weight limits.
8. Be advised that sunlit silence will occur only when a major engine malfunction has occurred.
9. "Hov'ring there" will constitute a highly reliable signal that a flight emergency is imminent.
10. Forecasts of shouting winds are available from the local FSS. Encounters with unexpected shouting winds should be reported by pilots.
11. Pilots flinging eager craft through footless halls of air are reminded that they alone are responsible for maintaining separation from other eager craft.
12. Should any crewmember or passenger experience delirium while in the burning blue, submit an irregularity report upon flight termination.
13. Windswept heights will be topped by a minimum of 1,000 feet to maintain VFR minimum separations.
14. Aircraft engine ingestion of, or impact with, larks or eagles should be reported to CASA and the appropriate aircraft maintenance facility.
15. Aircraft operating in the high untresspassed sanctity of space must remain in IFR flight regardless of meteorological conditions and visibility.
16. Pilots and passengers are reminded that opening doors or windows in order to touch the face of God may result in loss of cabin pressure.

Cpt_Pugwash
21st Mar 2007, 23:53
I'm fairly sure that these have never received DA approval on any airframe. :-)