PDA

View Full Version : Thatcher - The Movie!!?

Dr Schlong
20th Mar 2007, 11:31
Falklands focus for Thatcher - The Movie
Duncan Campbell
Tuesday March 20, 2007
The Guardian
After the success of The Queen, it was probably inevitable. And yesterday it was announced that Thatcher - The Movie is under way.
Pathé, one of the backers of The Queen, and BBC Films have commissioned a script about the former prime minister which will focus on the 17 days immediately before the Falklands war in 1982.
Before the Falklands war, Mrs Thatcher was deeply unpopular in Britain and it was widely predicted that she would lose the next election. Her image as the Iron Lady was forged by the war and her decision to dispatch the armed forces to the South Atlantic. The film will focus on that period and the characters around her at the time.

Who could/should play the Iron Lady? :hmm:

charliegolf
20th Mar 2007, 11:33
Lily Savage?

CG

SaddamsLoveChild
20th Mar 2007, 11:37
My mum, she even has the hair do, and mannerisms ...........still!!:eek:

Jackonicko
20th Mar 2007, 12:10
Any raddled, masculine, ugly, deranged old bat will do, surely?

Judy Dench (I HATE Judy blo.ody Dench)

Pat St Clements

June Brown

Pat Phoenix

Jean Alexander

startermotor
20th Mar 2007, 12:24
Kierra Knightley, Sandra Bullock not exactly look alikes, but hey it would detract from what would undoubtly be a boring film.

An Teallach
20th Mar 2007, 12:26
I think they'd have a hard job finding someone better than Steve Nallon (http://www.nallon.com/spitting.html) of Spitting Image fame, even if he did have to do it in drag! They could go the whole hog a la Alastair Sim and make the film as a 1950s Ealing Comedy.

sikeano
20th Mar 2007, 12:30
Nice one Charlie Golf:D

althenick
20th Mar 2007, 12:52
My old Chemistry Teacher Mrs Cook...

She had all the mannerisms, poise and even the accent was similar (ok it was slightly more jockistani than Maggie's :hmm: ) Only problem with her was she had a face you could never tire of slapping :}

Archimedes
20th Mar 2007, 14:03
Any raddled, masculine, ugly, deranged old bat will do, surely?

<snip>

Pat Phoenix

She'd be ideal - mother-in-law to Cherie Booth, so access to the highest political circles; right hair colour. Being dead for 21 years might be a small objection to her taking the role, though.

incubus
20th Mar 2007, 16:27
Tony Blair.

He's been doing it for years and will be looking for a new job soon ;)

Melchett01
20th Mar 2007, 17:09
Tony Blair.
He's been doing it for years and will be looking for a new job soon

Surely you want someone that could add a bit of credibility to the roll, maybe even sound as though they know what they are doing? Someone that would be convincing and that the public wouldn't see through in the first 5 minutes?

Or are you thinking of a straight to DVD release?:E

mbga9pgf
20th Mar 2007, 17:45
Maggie the movie!!!!!

I am in Tory Heaven!

I just hope they play land of hope and glory for the end credits!

At least that T*at tony can get a good look of how it should be done. Oh, and how to look after your armed forces when they are overstreched with a whopping pay increase.

Jackonicko
20th Mar 2007, 17:46
"Surely you want someone that could add a bit of credibility to the roll, maybe even sound as though they know what they are doing? Someone that would be convincing and that the public wouldn't see through in the first 5 minutes?"

Perhaps you're too young to remember, Melchett, but anyone with half a brain could see through the blessed Margaret even more quickly than we 'sussed' Tony and his grin. And it was abundantly clear that she had no more clue of what she was doing than Jim Callaghan had done.

And it was even more tragic, since most people had come to the conclusion that anything would be an improvement over Wilson and Healey, Callaghan and Foot, et al, and that the 'one nation' vision of the old style benevolent Tory wets might actually help mend a society that was looking a bit broken. But we soon realised what was happening as she destroyed the honourable and decent wing of the Tory party only to replace it with a gang of cynical Yuppy estate agents, city wide boys and semi-respectable Essex skinheads, as she made the Tory label something to be ashamed of, and as the Party's new elite replaced any concept of service and of doing the right thing, and of real conservative "if it ain't broke don't fix it" commonsense with a grasping and cynical rapaciousness and a revolutionary adherence to radical right wing doctrine.

Archimedes,

And your point is? Surely to play the undead, having been dead for a couple of decades would only be an advantage......!

MrBernoulli
20th Mar 2007, 18:10
Get off your high horse Jacko! At least the military felt Madge could make a decison and would get behind them as they, the military, got on with it. More than that ****** Blair, and his ilk, could ever do.

How many military folk do you know who respect Blair?

Zoom
20th Mar 2007, 19:50
Well spoken, Mr B. Unlike you to be so off the mark, Jacko.

Melchett01
20th Mar 2007, 20:14
Jacko,

I may have been too young to understand what Thatcher was doing when I was growing up, but I certainly remember the majority of her time in No 10. And the one thing that everyone seems to agree on is that Maggie was a marmite character - you loved her or hated her. There was no in between, and I suspect that a significant proportion of the military loved her.

As for Blair on the other hand, he seems to have incurred the wrath of everyone in the military! I stand by what I said earlier.