PDA

View Full Version : Disability regulations

Phil_R
19th Mar 2007, 22:53
Hi,

I've been trying to get an answer out of travel agents forever on this one; been reading the military forum on another matter and suddenly noticed this one down here, so please excuse my sticking my oar in.

Situation: I occasionally fly with a friend of mine who's blind, usually from LHR to LAX as we live near London but she has family in LA. She's entirely fit and healthy - in better shape than me, frankly - otherwise, being in her late twenties, as opposed to the vast majority of blind people who are octogenarians. Regularly flies alone, having had perfect sight previously and knowing the ropes. All very easy. Not a big deal.

However, recently we've had a few truly toe-curling experiences mainly with name-withheld airline flying internally in the US but also with one major transatlantic carrier. To be honest the "assistance" that's usually offered is at best pointless assuming she's with a friend (usually me), and at worst a hideously embarrassing fuss is made.

Now, within reason we have been willing to put up with this so long as her status as my walking, talking upgrade pass remains unchallenged. We've often been do-not-pass-go'd to the front of the plane faster than you can say "sorry but my cane doesn't fold and no you can't take it away."

The thing is, what happens if we (I) just don't tell the travel agent, who will then not tell the airline? I presume that most carriers would be fairly adverse to a banner headline screaming that they refused to board someone because she was blind, but on the other hand, phrases like "health and safety" and "insurance" seem to overrule all and obviously we don't want to cause a huge amount of grief over this.

I wouldn't even mention it other than that most airlines seem incapable of comprehending and following a "take no action" instruction. It would of course be wrong of me to tell you that it's Continental who have a particularly dismal record in this regard.

Any ideas or information gladly received. Where do we stand?

Thanks,

Phil

TightSlot
20th Mar 2007, 07:37
With respect - what is it exactly that you want? From reading your post, it appears that you want the airline to take no action and offer no assistance in light of the fact that you are accompanying her?

Have I understood correctly? (Apologies if not - first coffee of the day is still going down)

Phil_R
20th Mar 2007, 14:50
Yes, I'd like them to do exactly nothing.

What I fear is that if we don't warn them, they'll come up with some reason not to board us.

Phil

Octopussy2
21st Mar 2007, 11:14
With all possible respect to you and your friend, it seems to me that you can't have it both ways: on the one hand, you're happy to take the free upgrade, but on the other, unwilling to put up with the, no doubt well-meaning if inept, attempts to assist.

If I was getting the upgrade, I would like to think I could take someone dealing with the situation clumsily with good grace. Perhaps your friend could take a moment to quietly let the cabin crew know what WOULD actually be an appropriate way of handling it, so that other people in her position could benefit in the future?

I'm not qualified to answer your question, but I suspect there may be a risk in not telling the airline in advance. And anyway, why would that prevent the fuss once you arrived and your friend's condition became apparent?

Phil_R
21st Mar 2007, 17:26
Oh, I'm just being facaetious really - we'd much rather sit down the back than put up with the fuss (even though I'm 6'4"). The fuss is usually something that's clearly preplanned and would be lessened or even eradicated if they simply didn't know about it; often, people actually can't tell if she's just holding onto my arm and wearing sunglasses.

So the question stands, really, for anyone else with experience or an opinion: what happens if we just don't tell them?

Phil

Phil_R
22nd Mar 2007, 12:11
That's a big part of The Fuss, as we're calling it, yes. Other parts of The Fuss include lots of arm-waving striding through the checkin queue shouting instructions (cringe as 500 people give you the Stare), ditto at security, ditto at boarding. We'd far, far rather just get in line.

I guess if we tell them at checkin there won't be a problem with the safety briefing and they'll then know, which should cut out 75% of the cringeworthiness. Not telling them on booking shouldn't be a problem. No?

All I have to do now is to figure out a way of taking her up to the desk at US immigration (she has dual nationality; I don't) without having to queue twice...

Phil

PAXboy
22nd Mar 2007, 13:56
Phil_R Not telling them on booking shouldn't be a problem. No?No. In one of the most helpful and clear responses that I have seen in these forums, A_B_P explained why that would be a problem!

Phil_R
22nd Mar 2007, 19:48
Yes, but this is an internet forum, so I'm going to keep asking the same question until I get an answer I like.

Oh no, hang on. Yes, you've been very helpful - thanks.

This does however leave me grinding my teeth and thinking "bloody airlines."

Phil

TightSlot
22nd Mar 2007, 20:16
Phil

From your posts, it appears that actually you have met quite a few airline people that have tried to be helpful - your issue is not so much that people are mean-spirited or unhelpful, rather that they have offered the wrong kind of help (although the help offered appears to extend to upgrades - a form of assistance that is actually inappropriate but apparently welcome?).

I understand what you're saying about the 'fuss' - I would hope that most CC at least would know better than to behave in that way: It's just a matter of training. That said, it seems reasonable to remind you that your problems appear to be being caused by people with the best intentions - a situation that has some inherent merit?

Phil_R
22nd Mar 2007, 22:02
Hi,

> people that have tried to be helpful

Yes, that's exactly it. The problem is that the right kind of help is almost always "take no action", a fact that isn't well understood by most people.

> although the help offered appears to extend to upgrades - a form of
> assistance that is actually inappropriate but apparently welcome?

Heh, heh - I'm 6'4", what d'you think?

But no; there's no practical reason why we shouldn't sit back in cattle class with everyone else.

> I understand what you're saying about the 'fuss' - I would hope that most
> CC at least would know better than to behave in that way

Well at least I now know why we get the personalised, super-patronising safety briefing. It's bad enough when you poor sods have to do the pointing-to-the-doors thing in front of everyone; having it done to you individually is pretty toe-curling!

It's certainly not that people don't mean well, but it's much more common for the fault to be too much attention than too little.

To be honest as a perfectly able bodied passenger I often wish there was the usual orange call light, and an additional "bog off and let me sleep" light in a different colour...

Phil