PDA

View Full Version : A Day in the life of Air Corp/RAF/NAvy Pilots

FrayCampbell608
19th Mar 2007, 11:36
So what do you guys do on a typical day? What times do you work? I cant seem to get this kind of info from the forces websites. Can you give me any info on what it is like being a pilot for oen of tehse forces?

Cheers in advance,
Fraser

Boldface
19th Mar 2007, 11:47
This'll be good...:}

FrayCampbell608
19th Mar 2007, 12:19
A mate of mine in the RAF Regiment doesnt seem to do anythign when he is back at home (he is in Iraq at moment working his boll**cks off) He is always beign let off early, doing pointless tasks.

I guess that pilots are constantly training?? Unless they are on tour somewhere. Am i right??:confused:

Wader2
19th Mar 2007, 12:43
Fray, apart from going sick with newly discovered asthma, they get sent to hot dry places where asthma isn't a problem?

Why exactly do you want to know? We have already established that you do not have the requisite fitness levels to join the RAF http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=267829&page=2

But i do have to moan somewhere dont i.

This site might be more useful to you.

http://www.rafcollection.com/

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
19th Mar 2007, 12:58
Would this be something like what you are looking for? http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=267072 or perhaps Srl 59 of, http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=266521&page=3

breakscrew
19th Mar 2007, 13:15
It is ARMY AIR CORPS. A corp is an NCO in the RAF, I believe.

FrayCampbell608
19th Mar 2007, 14:07
Brilliant read!

FrayCampbell608
19th Mar 2007, 14:11
Becuase my G.P has cleared me as suitable for application to H.M Forces.

Wessex Boy
19th Mar 2007, 14:30
Posted on another forum a while ago....
Day in the life of a loadie at Shawbury in the late '80s....
07:55 Test of station crash alarm wakes you up, rollout of bed into boots and gro-bag placed next to bed, sprint to Sqn Crew Room.

08:00 Morning Prayers, (ops & Met brief)
08:30 check roster and speak to first hop's Captain about flight.
08:45 Briefing with Instructor on flight profile
09:00 over to Station Ops to make map, check Notams, plot route and obtain detailed Met (Captain returns to Mess for light Breakfast)
10:00 Check which aircraft you will be using and go through Form 700 for Green, Amber and Red lines (defects)
11:00 Pre-flight Briefing, I outline route, Initial Points (IPs) and confined areas brief. I also outline aircraft defects
11:30 I go out to the aircraft to start External pre-flight (Captain has coffee and Gauloise)
12:00 Internal Pre-flight and Cabin Prep
12:15 Captain comes out to the aircraft, kicks the tyres and straps in.
12:30 20 mins of pre-start checks, I check that Captain carries out checks correctly, then we light the fires.

13:00 lift off! off we go for a jolly good wheeze around Shropshire, picking up Concrete blocks from one woodland clearing and dropping them in others, I have to talk the captain in and out of the confined areas whilst managing the load

14:00 Land, I stand out the front, whilst the Captain slows the Rotor head, watching that the stops go in.
14:10 Captain returns to the Crewroom for a Coffee and Gauloise, I put the covers on and tidy up the aircraft
14:30 return to Ops to discuss the defects with Ground crew
14:45 Return to Crew room for large Coffee and sandwich...

That about sums it up!

Wader2
19th Mar 2007, 14:31
Fray,

GPs do not clear you; RAF Medics clear you.

Im non-eligible for aircrew as i take a preventative asthma inhaler.
I've been attack free for 14 years and experience no problems during exercise, sport - (Only when im around Dogs!) And never use a reliever.

Not only aircrew can experience problems with asthma. Movers fly, flighter controllers fly, air trafficers fly, medics fly, the list is endless.

You use an inhaler. See what Dr Moonie said in 2002.

<<Dr. Moonie: The principle applying to health conditions is that new entrants must be fit to serve anywhere in the world, in all environments and in locations where medical care may be limited or remote and medical resupply uncertain, or impossible. Many conditions, especially those controlled by medication or other intervention, which may not limit civilian employment are, nonetheless, incompatible with military service.

The following conditions make a person unsuitable for enlistment:

Chest disorders

Asthma, wheeze or asthma symptoms (and treatment) during the previous four years. Chronic lung disease (e.g. emphysema, bronchiectasis and cystic fibrosis). Active tuberculosis (TB).>>and this:<<Richard Smith, Scunthorpe
I am 16 and have wanted to be a pilot for many years. I was placed on inhaler by the doctors for asthma because of a bad chest infection and I was just wondering if I still could be a pilot?
I am afraid that the answer is not what you are hoping for. The RAF requires all recruits to be medically fit to serve worldwide. New entrants undergo intensive training that is both physically and mentally demanding and accordingly must be fit and free from disease or pre-existing injury to meet this challenge.
Certain medical conditions rule out RAF service. Applications will be rejected if you suffer or have suffered from asthma in the last four years. However, if you have been diagnosed previously as suffering from asthma but have remained symptom-free for a continuous four-year period, you may be considered for RAF ground service but not aircrew.>>

But remember many ground branches must be fit to fly.

So sorry, but your chances are slim to non-existent.

FrayCampbell608
19th Mar 2007, 14:59
The G.P simply cleared me as eligible to apply with a recommendation. I realise its up to the RAF doctors to make the ultimate decision, and thats just what i plan on allowing them to do, however i cant say im confident, but i have nothing to lose. It will be nearly a year until i apply but unless i have a go, i will never know any different.

Regards,

Fraser

ProfessionalStudent
19th Mar 2007, 20:41
Get up.

Go to work.

Work my tits off.

Come home.

Look on PPrune.

Laugh at nobs like you.

Go to bed.

BRASSEMUP
19th Mar 2007, 21:08
Sum it up in one word C**P!

wotsit
19th Mar 2007, 21:16
Professional Student,

Well you seem to think a lot of yourself!

Good to see you are conforming to the 'welcoming' Pprune aspect - the poor chap was only asking a question.... Were you perchance bullied at school? :)

Zoom
19th Mar 2007, 21:26
My working life is similar to PS's less a couple of items:

Work my tits off.

Look on PPrune.

Laugh at nobs like you.

Work my tits off.

Look on PPrune.

Laugh at nobs like you.

Work my tits off.

Look on PPrune.

Laugh at nobs like you..........etc, etc.

Just no time for sleep, unfortunately. Oh, for the good old RAF job of a 5 day week and weekends off! Bliss!

ProfessionalStudent
19th Mar 2007, 21:31
Hey, come on wotsit. Give me a break. It's hard being this good! ;)

Two's in
20th Mar 2007, 00:27
Option 1. Pilot.

Get up, go to work, fly, go home;

Option 2. Military Pilot.

Get up, go to work, fly, go home; all the while reflecting on the contribution you have made to the Defence and Security of British Isles, consider how diligently you have upheld your Oath of Allegiance to Her Majesty, ponder whether you have set a suitable example of professionalism to your mentors and subordinates, contemplate whether or not you have portrayed your particular Branch or Service in a positive manner to the Public, in whatever country you happen to be, and finally ensuring you have checked on the well being and morale of those fellow sevicemen or servicewomen who support you daily in all your flying endeavours.

PlasticCabDriver
20th Mar 2007, 09:16
Option 2. Military Pilot.

Get up, go to work, fly, go home; all the while reflecting on the contribution you have made to the Defence and Security of British Isles, consider how diligently you have upheld your Oath of Allegiance to Her Majesty, ponder whether you have set a suitable example of professionalism to your mentors and subordinates, contemplate whether or not you have portrayed your particular Branch or Service in a positive manner to the Public, in whatever country you happen to be, and finally ensuring you have checked on the well being and morale of those fellow sevicemen or servicewomen who support you daily in all your flying endeavours.

and then write up the minutes of the Squadron fund AGM, sort out the accounts as OIC Families Club, salute the flag, write a point brief for the Stn Cdr on the VIP visit that you are Proj O for, inspect the defaulters, go to bed, get up at 0200 to read the Priority signal about a lack of blankets at Stafford/WRAF tights at Halton etc etc, go back to bed, get up ,go to work, find you have been stitched with an OOA in 2 weeks time etc etc etc.

Zoom
20th Mar 2007, 09:38
I have realised that there is an easy way to simplify my day. If I trash my computer I get this:

Work my tits off.

Work my tits off.

Work my tits off.

Wessex Boy
20th Mar 2007, 10:26
Forgot to add:
Measure all White and yellow Lines groundside to calculate how much White, Yellow and green paint would be needed for the Queen Mother's visit (green for the worn patches of grass)

Build new Pillbox at Main gate on instructions from SWO

Tear down Pillbox and re-build it in different place on instructions from Station Admin Officer

Tear down Pillbox and re-build it in original place on instructions from SWO

Tear down pillbox and rebuild it it new place on instructions from visiting Rock-Ape SNCO

Appear in Cartoon in Station Magazine.....:rolleyes:

Serves me right for being one of the few SNCO Aircrew with Landrover and Trailor endorsement on F600, also had to go and collect Bad-Weather Barrels from the mess:}

FrayCampbell608
20th Mar 2007, 11:49
if your a professional student (like me), there isnt any work involved. i go to work, surf the net all day, wish i was flying, wonder what one earth i am doing and why i chose to my final year a year later, go home and do the same again and wonder how on earth someone like you got a flying job in the forces. words fail me, but if your a professional student, you wont be in teh forces which means you shouldnt have answered the question at all.:D

Wader2
20th Mar 2007, 12:03
Fray, steady on old chap. I am a student too. Have you heard of lief-long learning?

One of the things I was taught was how to write. One of the things I taught myself was how to type.

One of the things I learnt in the Forces was how to take banter.

sikeano
20th Mar 2007, 12:05
Fray Campbell
Rule No.1 Do not Assume, Just because some one is aptly named as Professional Student That He/She is a student .
Rule No.2 If you Don't have a sense of Humour please do not join HM Forces

:ok:

FrayCampbell608
20th Mar 2007, 13:10
I knew that would happen! It seems that no matter how hard i try i always type 'teh' instead of the! That'll teach me to proof read and save myself looking stupid.
I was sent one of those RAF careers CD's detailing all the different roles but it doesnt actually show what the pilot does when he isnt in the aircraft. Unless he never gets out of the cockpit?- i cant think of anything better, what a life. Unless your being shot at of course.

FrayCampbell608
20th Mar 2007, 13:12
"Have you heard of lief-long learning?"

i cant say i have, no.

TonkaEngO
20th Mar 2007, 14:00
This is a spoof right? Oh I so hope so....

teeteringhead
20th Mar 2007, 15:55
"Have you heard of lief-long learning?" ... surely he was a Viking explorer??

The name is properly spelt Lief Lonnggerlernig I believe, a contemporary of Lief Erikson (inventor of the mobile 'phone) his name is commemorated in Lonnggerlernig Fjord in Greenland .....

.....now do you understand banter fraythingy....;) ;)

FrayCampbell608
20th Mar 2007, 16:06
Nealry, i was close to laughing after reading that post ;)

OMG A mover scorned
20th Mar 2007, 17:21
Fray bentos,

Are you still continuing with your application to civilian FTO's?

FrayCampbell608
21st Mar 2007, 09:49
:confused: OMG a mover etc,

Hi there, yes i am still continuing with my plans to apply to civilian FTO's, but as i mentioned i some other threads, i am yet to graduate (2008)

Why do you ask?

Roland Pulfrew
21st Mar 2007, 09:58
It's I, that is I. NOT b:mad:y i :ugh: :ugh:
:E

Bad day at work!

Zoom
21st Mar 2007, 10:37
Don't worry, Roland; he's got until 2008 (when he hopes to graduate) to get it right, I suppose.

FrayCampbell608
21st Mar 2007, 12:55
i can write 'i' as much as i like because the posting is informal so i cannot be arsed correcting it.

3portdrift
21st Mar 2007, 13:59
Bold move Fray - you be yourself when online and don't be shy about who and what you are.

You do know what the internet convention wrt using "i" rather than "I" means don't you?

J.A.F.O.
21st Mar 2007, 14:22
Portdrift - No, but I always type I.

Fraybentos - Don't bother, get a job with an airline.

Roland - :D

Teeteringhead - I was thinking the same but would never have managed to put it so eloquently.

TonkEngO - I hope so, too but I'm enjoying it.

Two's in - That should be Two Are In and I hope that you are winding us up.

Wessex - I'm surprised that you got caught out, I take it that you're Finningley vintage, surely you learned never to admit to being qualified to do anything.

Carry on.

Wader2
21st Mar 2007, 14:34
Two's in - That should be Two Are In and I hope that you are winding us up

Two is a number and not a free man. A number is singular therefore Two is in.:}

Wessex Boy
21st Mar 2007, 16:07
JAFO, Guilty as charged! 146 AAITC course at Finningley, fully trained in pine-pole carrying over varied terrain whilst navigating, leading men and singing:cool:

Roland Pulfrew
21st Mar 2007, 17:11
Fray
It is not about formality, it's about readability. Strangely, correct punctuation, grammar and spelling makes things more understandable. If you want to be aircrew you need to make yourself understood - Accuracy, Brevity, Clarity. It works just as well for written work as it does for the spoken word.
Anyone who uses informality as an excuse should accept that it's actually about laziness, and we don't need lazy people in the Forces.
And no, I am not any English Professor, just someone who was obviously born in an era where English was correctly taught and the correct use of the language was important in all exams. Failure to use it resulted in lower marks and poorer results!
And no the day hasn't got any better!

samuraimatt
21st Mar 2007, 17:15
so i cannot be arsed correcting it

What was that you said about laziness?

airborne_artist
21st Mar 2007, 17:16
Strangely correct puntuation

Not only have you failed to spell correctly, but your punctuation is in fact shocking - it should be:

"Strangely, correct punctuation....

Roland Pulfrew
21st Mar 2007, 17:28
Aaaaaargh!! I knew I would do that to myself! Fair cop, I'll get my coat!

ProfessionalStudent
21st Mar 2007, 20:26
Fray Bentos
You're absolutely right. How could I possibly have the audacity to post? I apologise unreservedly for any offence caused.
Nob.

Try looking at people's Profiles and maybe their previous posts before assuming they're not qualified to comment

Maple 01
21st Mar 2007, 20:57
Is it a helicopter or an helicopter PS? ;)

Still not taking the anti-grouchy pills?

ProfessionalStudent
21st Mar 2007, 21:07
I started to take so many, I built up a resistance.:}

As far as my day is concerned, I have to be rude as the reality makes paint drying look like the Swedish U21s Girls Nude Mud Wrestling Championships.

J.A.F.O.
21st Mar 2007, 22:16
Wessex, I was on 144 AAITC.
It is possible that Roland meant strangely correct punctuation; ie punctuation which, strangely, is correct.

Wessex Boy
22nd Mar 2007, 09:10
Jafo,
so you were probably about 15-16 weeks into Groundschool, and living in the strange village of ex-married quarters when I started AAITC then?

So it was you pointing and laughing whenever we ran past with a sand-filled 5 gallon oil can above our heads?:\

wotsit
22nd Mar 2007, 09:19
Blimey,

What a thread. Shame about some of the pretentious types though, who manage to be both offensive and patronising at the same time. My advice to any with a genuine question is not to ask it, as this PPRUNE forum, will apparently, cynically rip you to tiny pieces....

Wonder if AARSE will take me back.....

J.A.F.O.
22nd Mar 2007, 23:12
Wessex Boy
See the newly rejuvenated Gatehouse (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=243560)

TorqueOfTheDevil
23rd Mar 2007, 12:45
Is it too late to save this thread by attempting to answer the original question, ignoring the linguistic talents (or otherwise) of its author?

I think, Fray, there is no short answer to your question - each service, and each fleet of aircraft makes different demands upon its people (aircrew and otherwise), and you'd need to hear from all sorts of people to get a full answer.

I can only speak for SAR, as that's what I do: we're in work for 24 hours at a time (if we're not called out at night, we do get to sleep, as we drop our response time from 15 mins to 45). We (ie the duty crew) get 4 hours training flying a day, which we use as we see fit, to practise our various skills by day and night, and then just when you're not expecting it you get tasked to a job and your best-laid plans for night wets or whatever go out the window (shame!). In between flying, there is plenty of time to tackle other duties you're given (running the tea-bar and all the other standard chores), not to mention keeping up your knowledge of the job by reading/revising manuals etc, or if you're on top of all your triv - or just feeling idle - you can watch TV, mess around on PPrune etc. There are also other things which take up your time - ground running aircraft to help the engineers, showing visitors around (air cadets, film crews, old boys, Mrs Miggins' Pogo-ing Pensioners etc etc), and so time passes rather too quickly most days.

Like I said, you'd have to ask other people what life is like on other fleets. The beauty of SAR (one of the many beauties of SAR, I should say!) is that we are the only fleet (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone?) where the crew alone decide exactly what flying we do and when, with no external influence - it gives us an amazing degree of freedom to do what we want, unconstrained by someone else's programme or tasking sheet. Long may it continue...

sarmonkey
23rd Mar 2007, 12:53
Fantastic!!! The SH v SAR thread rides again!!

I can almost hear Talking Radalt's bile rising.....

TorqueOfTheDevil
23rd Mar 2007, 13:07
Fantastic!!! The SH v SAR thread rides again!!

I know - good, isn't it?!

Another victory brewing for the SAR heroes, no doubt.

P.S. SARMonkey - will you have my babies?

22/7 Master
23rd Mar 2007, 14:16
Can this thread now be linked to both Military Aircrew and Rotorhead threads? We don't want the SARboys getting scared by the word military.

Union Jack
23rd Mar 2007, 17:05
Is it a helicopter or an helicopter PS? ;)

Never mind the use of the indefinite article (although "an" before an "h" is somewhat old-fashioned English usage), according to PS's profile (which he encouraged others to read) the word is actually "helicopeter"!

Jack

PS (as in postscript, not Professional Student) I can't help noticing that there seems to be no input from either the FAA nor the AAC in response to the OP -too busy or too idle?

ProfessionalStudent
23rd Mar 2007, 17:36
I believe the word "Helicopeter" was first seen in AP3456 (or some such tome) during the 60s and as such was quite often used when I first joined up (at least by the old farts - of which I am now one I suppose).

As far as the indefinite article is concerned, I suppose as "helicopeter" is an old word, I should change my profile to "an" in order make it a little more contemporary.

Or I could just not bother...:ok:

Pontius Navigator
23rd Mar 2007, 18:06
PS, sorry, AP129 Flying and it was HECOPLETER.

Data-Lynx
11th Apr 2007, 15:53
FC608. May I offer something sent from an AAC colleague. I know I am in the Army Air Corps but Sandhurst may have done something:
I wouldn't dream of buying a shirt with either a breast pocket or button cuffs....

All of my food has to be prepared by a chef because I'm incapable of cooking anything that can't either be boiled in a bag or eaten cold....

I don't trust any woman to iron my kit because, deep down, my ironing is better....

I wouldn't dream of polishing a pair of shoes or boots with just one brush. There has to be a separate 'on' and 'off' brushes....

I think that a check shirt (tucked in), chinos and brown shoes (and may be a v-neck sweater) looks 'casual' on anyone under the age of 40....

I own a 'Sports jacket' made of the hi-tech wicking, breathable, waterproof fabric known as tweed....

I point using my whole hand in a karate chop motion....

My civvy acquaintances understand little of the terminology I use such as 'no dramas', 'squared away' etc; I don't have any civvy mates....

I think that anyone who isn't in the Army has 'Stinking chat'....

People in prison have more contact with women than I do....

I feel guilty about wearing jeans in front of senior officers....

I never use anyone's first name, only their surname or surname based nickname such as 'Smithy', 'Jonesy' or 'Strangely Browny'....

I am under the impression that I can get away with showing 'moral courage' in everyday life, without getting the sh*t kicked out of me by some neanderthal for interfering in his domestic....

I secretly quite like 'cutting about' in uniform in places I really shouldn't....

I use the phrase 'cutting about'....

I can't watch programmes such as 'Ultimate Force' without giving a running commentary along the lines of "He didn't forward assist" or "Look at the state of Ross Kemp's webbing"....

I wouldn't dream of using Kiwi liquid polish....

I have to stop work at 10am for tea and cakes or else I might not make it to lunch....

I think not shaving is a treat....

I get really irritated when people I don't know call me 'mate'....

At least half of my DVD collection are war movies....

Even though my disposable income is twice that of a civvy I still manage to spend it all, every month, with nothing to show for it, about a week after I've told all my men that I can't believe how much money they waste on the p1ss'....

I now hate corned beef hash, in any form....

Whenever I spell something out I use the phonetic alphabet....

The sight of rolling countryside makes me scan for 'enemy depth'....

I dismiss anyone who might be better than me at something by stating that they're 'Sh*t with weight on'....

I see no problem with eating every meal for a week with the same spoon that I licked clean and kept in the pocket of the shirt I have worn all week....

I have flashbacks of being wet, cold and miserable whenever I see a Yorkie....

Nothing soldiers do shocks me any more, but I think nothing of risking perjury by stating in court that 'Soldier X is a great bloke with a promising career' despite the fact that he's as guilty as a puppy sitting next to a pile of poo....

I may be vague when people ask me what I do for a living....

However I do recognise some aircrew traits: I always use the 24 hour clock, I come out in a cold sweat if I am still working after lunch on a Friday and I find that the conversation somehow always comes back round to me.