PDA

View Full Version : Cabair Distance Learning, Part time

jono1978
18th Mar 2007, 19:46
Hi,

There are one or two threads about this but are a few years old.

Has anyone recently completed or in the process of taking the ATPL exams with cabair on a p/t basis, distance learning?

If so how do you find the manuals and support from cabair. Spoke to them at the Flyer exhibition yesterday just a little concerened that its all manual based with no interactive tools such as CD-rom and internet like Bristol GS had, one thing that appeals is the fact that the exams are split up into 4 modules rather than 2.

Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated. Looking for start around the beginning of June.

Thanks

John

Cirrus_Clouds
18th Mar 2007, 20:40
I did manage to have a look at one of the Aircraft Performance training manual yesterday with one of the Integrated teachers.

It didn't look as clear as Bristol/Atlantic/Oxford, lots of text with the odd formula inbetween, black and white (out of date with the times), but quite possibly informative.

I guess it's down to how you prefer to see things presented whilst reading and I guess the college thinks "if it works, why change it".

I plan to visit Cabair at Cranfield and will have a better look then.

matt_hooks
18th Mar 2007, 23:26
The integrated course manuals, I found, had all the information that you needed, but there was also a lot that wasn't particularly necessary for the exams. Cabair will claim that they try to teach you the subjects, not just to pass the exams, but the lecture notes that we had were far more concise and relevant to the actual exams. If you can get hold of the course notes as well as the manuals then you should have no problems whatsoever passing.

There are whisperings going around that an interactive DVD/internet based package is being worked on, only time will tell on that one.

Cirrus, PM me if you are coming down, might be able to show you around a bit!

Rob's Dad
19th Mar 2007, 11:45
John

I did ATPL DL with them finishing end of 2006. You are correct, the books are not great, certainly nowhere near the standard of other manuals available and often merely a duplication of notes given to integrated students with a learning 'timetable' bolted on. I recall reading in instruments "remember + My Tummy Churns -" which had no further explanation but once I clarified what it meant was one of the pieces of info I used most often in the exams (relationship between airspeeds), plus remember one laughable description of radio nav aids saying 'red' 'blue' etc but manuals were all in b&w! (Subsequently found out the originals held by Cabair were in colour: let you draw your own conclusions from that). I used the Oxford and Jepp manuals avail on ebay to augment the Cabair notes. All that said:

a, the CGI is trying to improve the manuals and intro some CBT - and the manuals were getting better, heck one of them (Air Law) even had some colour pages!

b, you 'tune' into the manuals after a while and learn to interpret them.

c, the residential instruction is excellent and you will learn more in those weeks than by any amount of reading.

d, Cabair split the exams into 4 manageable chunks and so it is easier to cope with the course on top of a fulltime job and family.

e, they will teach you the syllabus not just the current exam material and so you will be able to work out what you do not recognise from the BGS database. I got mid 90s average (infact over 90% in every exam except one which I got 89) and first time pass in every subject.

If you are having doubts maybe you could ask to see the current manuals and sit in on a lesson? If you can cope with the fact that you might have to augment some of the muddier manuals, and remember that the onus is on you to contact them if you have a problem - they are not psychic - then you will be fine.