PDA

View Full Version : Synchronize email Laptop/Desktop in OE6

BOAC
18th Mar 2007, 10:19
I am struggling (with my 'new' laptop) to find a way to sync mail sent and received on the laptop while down route with the desktop on return. At the moment I have a cumbersome method of sharing/copying my 'transfer' folders to the DT, and then I have to rename them to get them into the DT OE system. I must be missing something simple:ugh: or is this another Windows delight? I cannot 'import' specific folder email as far as I can see via my network. I do not want to have to shove the whole store folder back and forth each time.

Is there any FREE software that will allow this sync or do we know tricks:ok: ?

fmgc
18th Mar 2007, 11:46
Who provides you with your email (ISP) as if they offer IMAP4 this might solve your problems.

http://www.imap.org/

BOAC
18th Mar 2007, 11:52
fmgc - thanks - I'm already 'into' IMAP and that does not really sort the problem. Just want a simple way to sync a couple of 'transfer' dbx's without copying the whole lot over. Some clever spark will have written a prog, I know it:ok:

Bushfiva
18th Mar 2007, 12:00
If you use both machines regularly, but one is the roaming machine and the other is the home machine: only let the home machine actually delete the email after download. So when you're out and about, your laptop will download everything and maintain its own pointers, but not delete stuff from your ISP. When you get home, your main computer will download everything again when you first download it, then delete it from the server. It may work for you, it does for me (phone + laptop + desktop).

This way, your home machine always has everything, and your laptop will have most things.

It's a tickbox somewhere, it's not hard to do.

BOAC
18th Mar 2007, 12:04
Bush - that is done already - it is primarily the 'sent' emails I need to transfer.

Cypherus
18th Mar 2007, 12:28
Rules might be the way to go here, Look over this article that explains how they work:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,4282

Bushfiva
18th Mar 2007, 14:11
cc yourself, and have a rule that chucks the ccs that are received by the laptop??

If you have the sort of email account/ISP account that allows you more than one mailbox, than you can simply make sure all outgoing emails from the notebook are cc'd to a desktop account.

BOAC
18th Mar 2007, 17:15
Yes, bf - I think that is the answer unless someone else has any ideas. I've had a look at a couple of 'offered' commercial progs but they seem to sync ALL mail.

Thanks

BOAC
19th Mar 2007, 17:27
Cracked it! (With a leeetel Google help:\ )

Create a blank new message in OE. Name it 'Transfer' or whatever, drag and drop any (sent or whatever) emails onto this email template, whereupon they affix as attachments, and then File:Save As and place it where you wish. You can then copy/network this email to the other machine, and drag/drop the attached emails into the chosen folder on that machine.

Delightfully simple - and free!