PDA

View Full Version : OE 7, Should I?

seacue
17th Mar 2007, 11:40
I have carefully avoided installing IE 7. Has the time come when I should let Microsoft install it with their automatic updates?

I'm particulalry concerned about how a non-computer-literate employee will handle the changes from IE 6.

Thanks,
seacue

Edited to add:
I had it as IE until a last-minute brain-scramble and "corrected" it to OE. Duh! I'd switch the employee to Firefox except that Murphy's Law says that some important Web site would be incompatible.

Cypherus
17th Mar 2007, 14:09
Two things come to mind here, first off, IE 6 has been around for sometime now and for the whole of it’s life has been under heavy attack by miscreants determined to gain access too it’s operations and by way influence the users of this browser, Inversely Microsoft and the protection industry has although it be after the fact, managed to keep apace with these threats and in the end produce a product that while it has faults, some of then glaring, actual for the most part works well, and is simple and effective at what does, is well read about and users have a vast database of historical information available if it does not so find it relatively easy too manage the utility.

Second IE 7 is an unproven product, has no historical database, is not easy to use once you get past the flash interface it offers and is already coming under heavy attack as those with ill intent, bolstered by their experience with IE 6 are transferring there interest to it.

As a general user I found IE 7 to be over engineered, already the victim of numerous ‘Hot Fixes’, not at all intuitive in it’s operation, Caused many once closed avenues of attack to be either re-opened once more or difficult too protect against, Add to this the constant uploading of information back to Redmond and it did not take me many hours to realise that a return to IE 6 was in order.

Microsoft has yet again released another very bad product, falling back on the blame game once more in an attempt to cover this fact while creating yet another industry wide boom in protection and further problems for users.

Is it or more to the point will it be worth the effort, eventually yes as time passes IE 7 will become like 6 a reasonable product but for the present while support is still offered I for one will be staying with IE 6 or using Firefox as an alternative.

Man-on-the-fence
17th Mar 2007, 15:40
I use it

I like it

BEagle
17th Mar 2007, 20:17
IE 7

I tried it

It sucks

I $hitcanned it.

parabellum
17th Mar 2007, 22:56
My experience is that it is OK if you have plenty of resources but don't load it if you are low on RAM and your processor is old and slow.
It is a tabbed browser which makes it more useful than IE6 in some respects.

ZFT
18th Mar 2007, 02:05
Used it for a month and reverted back to IE6 due in the main to issues with login/password retention.

FormerFlake
18th Mar 2007, 13:21
I only use it for a couple of websites that Firefox does not like. I have to have some form of IE to download items from Microsfot anyway.

pogmothoin
18th Mar 2007, 16:14
upgraded to 7 on the ole laptop before i ditched the pc world... It was relatively easy to use, and the tabbed browsing was damn useful as i'd not used it before. only gripe woulda been it seemed system resource hungry, and the laptop wasn't a slug in the spec's dept... :8

Man-on-the-fence
18th Mar 2007, 16:20
As an experiment I have opened both IE7 and Firefox at the same time on the PPRuNe Forum Index.
Both used 0 CPU but Firefox used roughly twice the memory of IE7.

At the end of the day, one uses what one is happy with. I use both but prefer IE7. (however I have written this using Firefox)

Synthetic
18th Mar 2007, 23:10
IE7 is a little different in it's use from IE6, and will take a little getting used to, but having done so, I like it.

Tarq57
19th Mar 2007, 20:39
A suggestion; if you install it do so from the ms download site for it.Some users have reported installation an run problems/errors when letting it update automatically.
It's cookie handling is different, I had lots of problems staying logged on at some sites.
Overall I prefer it over IE6, but mainly use Firefox.