PDA

View Full Version : Westland's record on civil programmes?

Jackonicko
17th Mar 2007, 01:43
Why did the original civil Lynx (the Model 606) go nowhere?

What went wrong with the WG30, and why?

wg13_dummy
17th Mar 2007, 02:41
Operating cost and what it could actually offer the civvy market (Lynx). The Lynx was primarily designed for the military (Brit and French, Army and Navy initially).

One of the requirements was that the aircraft should be able to carry nine equipped troops and the aircraft should be able to fit into the back of a Herc without taking the gearbox off. This meant a quick deployment in various theatres. Because of the restrictions of the C130 fuselage, no current heli could meet the spec but Westland had been working on the very compact and flat gearbox previously. Allied with a semi rigid rotor head, it was very expensive as the main rotor head was milled from a solid block of titanium.
I have a copy of Flight International from about 1969 and the initial requirement was for three derivatives. A dedicated maritime ASW heli, an Army light lift/troop carrier and, interestingly, a tandem seat attack version (lessons learned from Bell with the Iroquois/Cobra).

I will endeavour to scan the three view drawings from it. Never seen a picture of it since.

Stepping back a little bit, I'm sure you are well aware that the Anglo-French collaboration set in motion the development and production of not only the Lynx but the Gazelle and the Puma. At the time, the three types covered most requirements for both counties. Attack, lift and Recce as well as BOS (back of ship) Anti sub.

As usual, the budget got slashed and the requirement was trimmed (mainly on the Lynx side of life). The original three versions of the Lynx were reduced to two versions. Naval and Army. The Army versions became a 'multi role' helicopter. Troop/Anti Tank/Utility; the AH1.

The development cost was, at the time astronomical due in no small part to the main gearbox and the engine R&D. I don't think Westland spent much time or effort trying to push it to the civil market to be honest as it was, by then a very expensive option. The only civil operator was Qatar who purchased a couple (might have been three) for their Police Force. They ended up back at Middle Wallop as instructional airframes for SAE (School of Aeronautical Engineering). They might have gone up to Arbofield when they moved, not sure.

The majority of Lynx were export naval versions and only the British Army bought the skidded Anti Tank version (the Qatar version was also skidded).

Moving on to the WG30. This was an attempt by Westland to push the technology of the Lynx into a viable civilian market and also a military transport heli. The original version of the WG30 utilised the gearbox, transmission and engines from the Lynx. I believe it was a private venture initially but was in no small parts a contributing factor in the 'Westland Affair' of '86. It was basically a large fuselage version of the Lynx.

The popular rumour is it was under developed for the market it was aiming for but it did have a few customers. Notably a New York heli company and the Indians. The later versions of the WG30 used more powerful engines and an upgraded transmission. I believe there were a couple of catastrophic accidents with both the New York company and the Indians which led to the demise of the aircraft. The Indian aircraft were grounded following several incidents and accidents and were eventually left to rot when spares and technical expertise dried up. Some of those airframes now reside at the IHM, Weston Super Mare.

Unfortunately, the whole saga is a classic example of lack of investment and pressure from across the pond. Westland Affair anyone?

Edited to add;
Apologies for the bonk spelling and grammar, its St Paddies day here and I've found a picture of the 'Attack' Lynx;

http://www.vectorsite.net/avlynx_12.png

widgeon
17th Mar 2007, 13:56
I left westlands in 1981 before most of the scandal. The problem with major miltary programs in Europe is they are few and far between and they were looking for something to fill in the lean times between the major programs. Of all the Western Helicopter manufacturers they were the only one that had no civil work ( except for garage doors of course ). It was a good strategy to try to get into civil market but I feel their heart really was not in it

check
17th Mar 2007, 18:37
British Airways Helicopters operated them out of Beccles in the Southern North Sea, and a whole bunch were sold/donated (government aid) to Powan Hans in India and used offshore to the Bombay High. I never flew one but my friends who did liked them as did the passengers, but Rolls Royce did little or no work on the civil Gem 30 engines ( I think that was the engine) and so the helicopter in its civil role was underpowered.

Jackonicko
17th Mar 2007, 19:39
Hmmm, a sad story, then?

And is the civil EH101 (Heleliner/Heliliner?) similarly doomed?

Snarlie
17th Mar 2007, 20:33
I remember Bristow put options on 10 606`s and even had a liaison engineer based at Yeovil, I think common sense prevailed when Sikorsky started talking S76 and the options were cancelled as was the project.
I flew in one of the Airspur Westland 30`s which had an interior like a cheap night club, a Vno of 105 knots and serious vibration problems. A presentation to North Sea operators revealed that it was seriously short of range and really only viable in the Southern sector where transit distances were of the region of 70 nautical miles. British Airways only operated them because they were free!