PDA

View Full Version : More RAF Clothing....

Elmlea
16th Mar 2007, 19:58
Found this little gem when on the RAF site today:

The RAF Collection (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/index.cfm?storyid=559EA1D8-1143-EC82-2E0AA3EC4E903F49)

http://www.rafcollection.com/

I was particularly glad to see that the wings that we all worked so hard for and feel proud to wear are now available to buy for anyone with unfulfilled Biggles fantasies.

On the bright side, at least I can now buy a fleece with wings so everyone'll know I'm a pilot when we do Force Development. :}

ProfessionalStudent
16th Mar 2007, 20:10
we have developed stylish and top quality RAF ranges to exemplify the outstanding and enduring virtues displayed by the men and women of the RAF, past, present and future. We hope you too will feel proud to wear such iconic apparel bearing the emblems which will identify you with those outstanding virtues.

Hang on, someone get me a bucket. I think I'm going to be :yuk:

Shouldn't complain though. I think they're onto a winner with this range. it'll be so popular, the Defence Budget will triple in a matter of months and we'll all get a big fat profit related bonus...

Still. At least it will give the Air Cadet instructors something to wear in the bar during camps...

An Teallach
16th Mar 2007, 20:34
JOI Ltd has an interesting company history (http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/).

Incorporated on 21/11/00 as Nevrus (867) Ltd, its name was changed to Jeffrey Ohrenstein International Ltd on 07/03/01 and became JOI Ltd on 18/01/06.

Of the 11 other Nevrus ... Ltd companies listed, only 3 are not dissolved. I do hope whoever's promotion wheeze this is has done sufficient due diligence checks and Mr Ohrenstein's company exemplies "the outstanding and enduring virtues displayed by the men and women of the RAF, past, present and future."

I fear only the Walt market will be interested at £35 for a polo shirt!

A2QFI
16th Mar 2007, 20:36
The competition prize is a leather jacket "Worth £150"! Wow, that will be top quality for sure!

Foxtrot Oscar
16th Mar 2007, 22:28
If I'm not mistaken the models are Rory & Tony Underwood...

threeputt
17th Mar 2007, 14:50
Correct!

3P

Flying_Scotsman
17th Mar 2007, 18:58
I presume it's pointless starting a 'don't lean on the prop' argument. Everybody seems to do it these days!

nibi786
18th Mar 2007, 07:54
'Proffesional Student'

How dare you insult those holding commisions in the royal airforce. REF:

Still. At least it will give the Air Cadet instructors something to wear in the bar during camps...

These 'air cadet instructors' hold her majesties comission, and are key public figures for the air force, by implying they are wanabes you spoil the image that helps retain the Air forces purpose - i think you owe an apology to those 'air cadet instructors' that give up alot of their time to train the youth of our future. further to that, you should realise that approx 65% of pilots in the air force are all ex air cadets and were once trained by 'Air cadet instructors'. No, im not happy, and want to see an apology

tacr2man
18th Mar 2007, 08:46
I totally agree :ok:

Needless to say I am not involved in ATC, but applaud them:D

NRU74
18th Mar 2007, 08:51
nibi786
Yes - we apologise ...and hope your spelling and grammar soon gets better

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
18th Mar 2007, 14:42
So the wearing of uniform in pubs has been outlawed, well in the Andrew anyway; but anyone wearing the Walt rig is OK. How will the great unwashed and uninformed know the difference?

The phrase "bloody outrageous" springs to mind but is, perhaps, a little dated.

Melchett01
18th Mar 2007, 17:47
As you will see from our web-site once it is up and flying from 27th March 2007

I do hope that whoever was responsible for JPA and keeping the rest of the RAF's websites up to date isn't doing this one as well. After all, the 'Airspace' site for serving members which was supposed to be up and running in Feb will now be available soon. Doesn't bode too well.

ProfessionalStudent
18th Mar 2007, 18:23
nibi786 tacr2man

I hold a commission in the Royal Air Force. I'm an ex-cadet too. And I think you'll find they hold commissions in the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve (Training).

So spare me the rhetoric and stop being so precious.

It's banter. Get over it. :{

You'll get no apology from me.:=

airborne_artist
18th Mar 2007, 19:05
OI Ltd has an interesting company history.

Incorporated on 21/11/00 as Nevrus (867) Ltd, its name was changed to Jeffrey Ohrenstein International Ltd on 07/03/01 and became JOI Ltd on 18/01/06.

Of the 11 other Nevrus ... Ltd companies listed, only 3 are not dissolved.

Probably nothing sinister in this at all. Company registrations take time, so agents register loads, in names as above. It's then a very simple affair to change the name and advise Companies House. That's the way most companies come into the world.

blogger
18th Mar 2007, 19:28
Great idea!! Hey look at me I am in the military.....Bang....thump

Just what we need almost as bad as the RAF kit bag......hey everyone look at meeeeee.

What short memories we have ..... Army guys getting shot at the rail station on the way home on a Friday night.

I travel to work in civvies and get changed at work I do not wish to advertise myself as a target......... wait till someone gets bangged on the head then it will be put about not to wear this military style kit.

Almost_done
18th Mar 2007, 19:35
How dare you insult those holding commisions in the royal airforce.

Wow, nibi786 you need to get out more and see what it is really like for insults.

UnderPowered
18th Mar 2007, 20:26
Has anyone noticed how, during summer camp, you can tell who lives in a mess room because the supersonic fighter pilot has "Bob" written on his door, and the air cadet VR(T) officer has "Flight Lieutenant Joseph H Bloggs BA RAFVR(T)" written on his?

Nothing to prove there then...

Roland Pulfrew
18th Mar 2007, 21:04
What short memories we have ..... Army guys getting shot at the rail station on the way home on a Friday night.

I travel to work in civvies and get changed at work I do not wish to advertise myself as a target......... wait till someone gets bangged on the head then it will be put about not to wear this military style kit.

Yep I remember it well. I managed to go through the whole IRA era in uniform. Pray tell where the threat is now? P:mad:t I walk to work in uniform. I would have happily commuted to work in MOD in uniform. Get over your self target for who?:ugh: :ugh:

We have been cleared to travel in uniform for years now and if we want to remind the politicians and the public that we still exist you should be out there in uniform and proud of it. If you are that frightened then perhaps you are in the wrong job!!

Mind you it does annoy me that we are selling clothing with wings on so that any numpty can buy what it took me, and Rory, years to earn!!

Zoom
18th Mar 2007, 21:10
Tony is now with Virgin, I understand, and Rory has a management training company or something.

On a different but mildly related note, there is soon to be a rugby testimonial match at Leicester between the actual Leicester and Bath teams that played the Pilkington Cup final of 19xx, the one which Bath won with a contraversial penalty try in the last seconds. I was at Twickers for that and what a great day it was, being a Bath supporter. Anyway, the Underwoods will be playing, along with Deano and the other amateur greats. Mind you, they ran out briefly at the Neil Back testimonial a couple of years ago and weren't too fit.

Now but back to the important business of fake RAF gear....................

The Rocket
18th Mar 2007, 21:19
'Proffesional Student'

How dare you insult those holding commisions in the royal airforce. REF:

Quote:

These 'air cadet instructors' hold her majesties comission, and are key public figures for the air force, by implying they are wanabes you spoil the image that helps retain the Air forces purpose - i think you owe an apology to those 'air cadet instructors' that give up alot of their time to train the youth of our future. further to that, you should realise that approx 65% of pilots in the air force are all ex air cadets and were once trained by 'Air cadet instructors'. No, im not happy, and want to see an apology

Dry your eyes Princess.

You really don't do yourselves any favours, do you. I get the impression you're exactly the target audience for this range of tat. :ugh:

J.A.F.O.
19th Mar 2007, 02:33
nibi

Please tell me that you don't instruct anybody.

Your standard of spelling and grammar is to be pitied; as is your attitude to good natured banter.

I can't think of anything that I would want to wear less than the RAF range but have registered my interest so I can win and sell it on eBay to the Walts.

Pontius Navigator
19th Mar 2007, 08:10
How about a Walt competition?

Rules - winner is first to post a photgraph of Walt in the new kit.

Then second competition post a photo of a Walt in many bits of kit. Winner is the Waltsnapper with the mostest.:}

Odi
19th Mar 2007, 09:57
Nibi 786 you have just set the Air Cadet cause back at least 20 years with your ill conceived (and badly spelt) attack.

Just for the record I am a VR(T) officer with 18 years uniformed experience although I have never served in the military. I work as an air traffic controller and so am on these bulletin boards as part of my civilian job. Part of my job involves coordination with military controllers so I pop in to this particular forum to keep myself up to date on any particular relevant issues.

You, on the other hand are, I assume, are on here because it makes you feel good. I see from your profile that you are a student. Well knock me down and call me surprised. You are looking like the very same wannabee that you accuse Professional Student of insulting.

Would I also be correct in assuming that you are a newly promoted Pilot Officer? Only a newly promoted (and usually ex cadet) Plt Off would come forth with such drivel as you did.

Again, for the record, I am incredibly proud of the uniform I wear and the job I do with the cadets. However, I would never compare what I do with those who do it for real. Take a look at your Commissioning Scroll and compare it to those who have a real commission - it may come as a shock to you to discover that the wording is totally different. The day you get called up for a posting to somewhere hot and sandy is the day you can say your (and my) Commissions are the same as those who do it for real.

Take a note of that last phrase, Nibi 786; they do it for real, we only play at it. It's a hobby, get used to that idea and stop being so precious. Banter is another word you should get used to now - if you think what was said is insulting then you really have led a sheltered life.

To conclude this rant, go out and get a life, be proud of what you do, but don't ever try and compare it with what the regulars do.

Oh yes, if you are going to insult someone and argue with them, then at least do them the courtesy of spelling their name correctly.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Rant over!

Odi

Wessex Boy
19th Mar 2007, 10:09
My son got an official Red Arrow Flying Suit for his 4th Birthday, and the wings are the Civilian ones, not the RAF.
It will be perfect for flights with me in the Piper Warrior!

teeteringhead
19th Mar 2007, 13:02
Take a look at your Commissioning Scroll and compare it to those who have a real commission - it may come as a shock to you to discover that the wording is totally different. .... Odi, one hates to spoil a good argument with facts but the wording of all RAF Commissions are identical, except for the phrase "Royal Air Force", "Royal Air Force Reserve", "Royal Air Force Voluteer Reserve" or "Royal Auxilliary Air Force".

They are all the Queen's Commission, and she don't do it differently for the different bits of her Air Force.

The word "Training" does not appear on a VR (T) Commission - but one would hardly expect it to as that is the branch concerned, and you will see that your Commission doesn't mention your Branch either.....

.... you may be confused by other Services' cadet forces. ACF officers hold a Lord Lieutenant's Commission, while SCC officers are commissioned by their own Commandant.

Many of your arguments are valid, and nibi is a bit OTT, but don't spoil an argument by spouting tosh.

Of course VR don't have a war role ...... but then they only get paid up to 28 days a year ......and their Ts & Cs are totally different ..... but that is absolutely nothing to do with the wording on their Queen's Commission, which - apart from the words "Volunteer Reserve" - is the same as yours...... assuming you hold one.;)

ProfessionalStudent
19th Mar 2007, 20:36
Having said that, Odi, a nice response from the more representative side of the RAFVR(T) (at least amongst those who dare to poke their heads from behind the parapets on this forum). Absolutely right, and you caught my drift perfectly. We all know precisely the kind of people I'm talking about and nibi is, as has been surmised already, exactly that kind of person.

I've been involved with the Cadet movement for 22 years and would be the first to champion the good work it does. Nibi, I'm absolutely sure that you caused a great deal more offence with your cartload of poorly spelt and woefully conceived comments than my opening comment ever did. A little too hard a sniff of the old Shandy Bass was it?

That's banter, by the way. Well, the last sentence was, anyway.

UnderPowered
19th Mar 2007, 21:07
Come on, nibi; we KNOW you're watching....gizza reply...pleeeeeease!!!

ProfessionalStudent
21st Mar 2007, 20:36
Maybe he's camping outside the factory to bag his polo shirt. He's probably got an Easter Camp coming up and wants to have the latest threads for the bar.

I bet his mummy tucks him up in bed in these each night...

Nibi's Pyjamas (http://www.derek-rose.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=REGIMENTAL/1PRAF)

scottyhs
21st Mar 2007, 20:59
Im more concerned as to why these pyjama's cost £109??? :eek:

Ewan Whosearmy
21st Mar 2007, 22:36
Let's talk about what matters here... the shape of Rory's head.

Was it always that shape, or has he landed on it since I saw him (on TV) last?

UnderPowered
22nd Mar 2007, 10:49
I want to talk about nibi. Any offers on what shape HIS head is??!!

A2QFI
22nd Mar 2007, 10:58
I think it will be shaped like some sort of knob!

UnderPowered
22nd Mar 2007, 11:02
No, no, I've got it! Doug Niedermeyer from 'National Lampoons Animal House'!!!

Hot Charlie
23rd Mar 2007, 14:24
On a different but mildly related note, there is soon to be a rugby testimonial match at Leicester between the actual Leicester and Bath teams that played the Pilkington Cup final of 19xx, the one which Bath won with a contraversial penalty try in the last seconds. I was at Twickers for that and what a great day it was, being a Bath supporter. Anyway, the Underwoods will be playing, along with Deano and the other amateur greats. Mind you, they ran out briefly at the Neil Back testimonial a couple of years ago and weren't too fit.

I think you'd just missed it - it was last sunday (18th - about 5 hours before your post) and the Tigers won 45-15...:)

allan907
23rd Mar 2007, 14:46
Can one get a pair of them pyjamas with wings and rank tabs on them??

TMJ
27th Mar 2007, 15:39
I presume it's pointless starting a 'don't lean on the prop' argument. Everybody seems to do it these days!

Wingers leaning on props isn't much of a problem, as the prop will barely notice such an insignificant presence. It's when the props start leaning on the wingers you'll start getting problems...

toddbabe
27th Mar 2007, 18:25
Roland you survived the whole IRA threat period? wow thats a really long time, from the early 70's to present day? hmmmm!
You probably wouldn't have survived had you have been based in Germany during the early eigties through to the nineties and "Proudly worn your uniform outside of work.
If you can cast your memory back that far you will remember servicemen and their families being regularly killed whilst on and off duty, nobody would dare wear their uniform outside the camp gates rules or not and just going to the shops meant a thorough inspection of your vehicle for IED's before you drove it away.
Yes the IRA have gone away and the threat is lessened but don't kid yourself their is no threat! try telling that their is no threat to the Muslim serviceman and his family in hiding after the security services dicovered the plot to kidnap and behead him:mad:
And if you think it will only happen to a Muslim think again, if it's too difficult they will try anyone, anyone that they follow home from the shops after seeing them swan around Tesco's in their uniform!
Roland you can keep your head in the sand and I will keep my uniform in a locker at work, calling someone a coward or saying "they are in the wrong job" for using simple safety precautions is utterly stupid, would like to see how brave you are when the knife is being held to your throat!!!

mystic_meg
27th Mar 2007, 18:51
Im more concerned as to why these pyjama's cost £109???

Save your money - just go to bed 'au naturelle' (with the option of wearing a rank slide over your tackle, so the missus can 'pull rank' on you...:E )

Lima Juliet
27th Mar 2007, 22:59
Toddbabe - do you have to sit down to urinate?
I'm with Roland on this one; it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out who we are and follow us home in our Ron Hills does it?
At least if I have a go at any would be attacker dressed in uniform then the Police will know who to shoot - unless I'm dressed as a Brazilian whilst running for the train! Let's hope it's a service dinghy knife they hold to my throat eh?
Anyway, terrorists would never find me in Tescos - real officers use Waitrose...
LJ:E :E

toddbabe
28th Mar 2007, 08:02
Leon I am no coward and maybe I do piss sitting down, but for something as simple as keping your uniform in your locker why bother? who is it impressing? I don't wear Ronhills don't have a short back and sides and don't wear Gulf war two t' shirts to the pub, I mix with none service people in my spare time and am a member of the local community.
Nothing makes me stand out from the crowd as a service person and I do it without even trying, I am not trying to hide but just don't see any point in advertising yourself to all and sundry:ugh:
Do you honestly believe the locals who see you in Waitrose really think better of the services cos they see you filling up your 4x4 in your nicely pressed uniform? dilluded springs to mind.

Lima Juliet
29th Mar 2007, 00:28
Crikey me old - you are sensitive about cowardice; I don't remember calling you one at all...

I don't own a Chelsea tractor, I don't press my flying suit and surely you know that Waitrose doesn't sell Petrol (only supermarkets for pikeys like Tescos).

I mix with none service people in my spare time
You must be a popular soul on your Sqn then?:E

Finally, a fortnight ago, 2 old boys came up and shook my hand (1 ex-RAF an 1 ex-RN) saying how wonderful it was to see someone in Service uniform with a hat on - apparently they see lots of beret-less pongos but never the Senior and Junior Service at all. Furthermore, this is not an uncommon event and I have had many delightful encounters with the public in my uniform - some of them non-native and non-christian as well (they must of been terrorists though as some had beards :ok: ). How many Police personnel, like WPC Fletcher (shot by Libyans outside the Embassy in 1984), have there been? - and I wouldn't want see the Police discarding their uniform as they "don't want to draw attention to themselves"!:eek:

Anyway, old fruit, I hope you never have anything to do with uniform policy or rise to a rank able to change things. Just a difference of opinions that's all...

Going back to deluded planet LJ...

PS dilluded is not spelt that way - you really must be a pikey!

Maple 01
29th Mar 2007, 01:13
You probably wouldn't have survived had you have been based in Germany during the early eighties through to the nineties and "Proudly worn your uniform outside of work.

I must have been in some alternate Germany 'cos I don't remember millions of PIRA teams running around 24 hours a day. We even invited the Box-Heads onto camp on a regular basis - where the hell were you? Biggest load of bolox was making ourselves invisible IMO> Pack up the tents because of a handful of incidents - are we the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps?

Pontius Navigator
29th Mar 2007, 07:25
Maple, you have a poor memory for TacInt.

There was an Army SSgt or WO, followed to Zeebrugge and shot at the ferry terminal, just like that.

k3k3
29th Mar 2007, 07:45
And the RAF Cpl who was shot dead at the petrol station in Wildenrath village (along with his baby).
And the Australian tourists who were killed in Roermond because the PIRA thought they were RAF.
And the bomb at the mess in Rheindahlen.
And the bomb at the Army movements unit at Dusseldorf airport.
And the 3 PIRA members who were arrested by German border guards with weapons and explosives about 10 miles south of Wildenrath.
Need I list anymore?

Pontius Navigator
29th Mar 2007, 08:36
Or the fuss and palaver to drop BFG plates and get civilian plates. Mind you swapping to UK plates was hardly camouflage when parked outside a block of flats in a residential area.

I also remember looking into a Brit registered car in a BX car park.

First giveaway was the crossed rifles badge on the rear window. Inside something from the THRIFT Shop or some such. There may even have been some clothing too. In all there were about 6 clues, some subtle, some less so.

Yes we were conscious of the threat.

Maple 01
29th Mar 2007, 09:09
Not forgotten, the point being we stood out for many other reasons, because of BFG plates, or the same reasons that you could identify a Brit from 2000 yards on holiday or because of prescribed routes or obviously military vehicles trying to pass as civil (I'm thinking shift busses). A half-trained ASU would do a long reci and pick out who was who regardless of whether you popped to the Imbuss in your uniform - a one-off against a target of opportunity was quite rare.

My question being is the almost total lack of visibility in the community something that's exacerbated the divide between civilian and service? And by seeming to be scared/ashamed of being connected to the military we've given the terrorists a large psychological victory for relatively little effort

ProfessionalStudent
29th Mar 2007, 10:08
I have strong views on this issue. I take every appropriate opportunity to wear my uniform in public as I feel it's important to fly the flag and remind the public that we live amongst them. The whole goal of the terrorist is to disrupt normal day-to-day life, and I refuse to allow them to change my ways. If they are determined and organised enough (and they are) uniform alone will not be the giveaway.

I expect most of us operate lax or non-existent personal security otherwise, so why worry about wearing uniform? It may be the most obvious way that we identify ourselves, but not the only way.

Wear your uniform in public. Be proud. Stick 2 fingers up at the terrorists. If they want to get you, they will, uniform or not.

Wear the new clothing range in public. Look like a Walt. Give the terrorists a laugh. They will leave you alone as they know that no-one wearing it will be serving in the reguler RAF.:E

Smudger552
29th Mar 2007, 11:51
Things aren't so different today. Only last year we were warned not to wear uniform in High Wycombe as it had become known to 'the authorities' that the local Muslim youth were looking for a serviceman to beat up (following news reports of abuse in Iraq by our own lads).

Rgds

Smudge

doubledolphins
29th Mar 2007, 13:12
On a lighter note. You have to have a little chuckle when one of tjhe items listed in the RAF collection is a "Navy Rugby Shirt". Get a grip chaps!:ok: