PDA

View Full Version : Air France Crew Meals

Jetlife707
24th Jun 2001, 10:40
I've heard a rumour that Air France pilots have a glass of wine with their crew meals. Does anyone know if this is fact or fallacy?

DeltaTango
24th Jun 2001, 11:15
heard the same thing.....

Sledge
24th Jun 2001, 11:41
Standards old boy,Standards.

Biscuit Chucker
24th Jun 2001, 12:09
Do the crew get a 'non-standard' size wine glass to go with that meal? :)

lostinBRU
24th Jun 2001, 12:49
Was indeed true.......

Though I only speak of experience 10+ years ago.

As an Ascot driver staging through France we picked up Air France catering which included a small bottle of plonk (about 15ml)with the crew meals.

PAM (Prince Andrews Mum) wouldn't let us indulge though.......Vive La France!

Basil
24th Jun 2001, 13:07
As lostinBRU, refuelling in Istres le Tube, always had a glass of vin rouge avec dejuener, notably, on one occasion, on a route check. :)

willoman
24th Jun 2001, 13:53
Flew with a French airline in the early nineties - supplied with Air France crew food. The wine concession was withdrawn many years ago but the myth persists.

Speedbird48
24th Jun 2001, 14:41
Not only France. I flew in Belgium in the late '60's and there was wine with the meal.

gravity victim
24th Jun 2001, 14:59
Once, flying home from a small rocky island adjoining the Artic Circle, I watched 3 G&T's being expertly mixed at the trolley and taken into the flight deck, in full view of the pax..evoked mixed feelings of disapproval and reluctant admiration at the sheer chutzpah.....

flyblue
24th Jun 2001, 16:05
This is the silliest lie I have ever heard.
I work as a PNC (Cabin Crew) for AF, and I have never witnessed or heard anything like that.
Drinking alcohol is prohibited 8 hours before a flight.

Try to send us a Channel 4 troupe, maybe they will prove I'm saying the truth! :)

Mooney
24th Jun 2001, 16:09
Looks like flyblue has the answer!

Pity! I thought it sounded rather civilised...... even though we dont get crew meals :)

Yak Hunt
24th Jun 2001, 17:17
Journo Alert!!!!!!!!

Maybe a bit of Chevaux perhaps!!

Boss Raptor
24th Jun 2001, 18:45
Alitalia also used to issue wine with crew meals - just out of interest a glass of wine a day is still served to each prisoner in a french prison...

critcaact
24th Jun 2001, 21:51
Boss Raptor,
But it's wine from California!

BEagle
24th Jun 2001, 22:04
A stewardess I once knew told me that it was quite common on a certain charter airline for a miniature Drambuie or two to find its way into each of the pilot's fruit cocktails! But not, she said, if there were any checkers on board.

Well that'll be all right then....

Clarence Oveur
25th Jun 2001, 01:57
I flew in France 6-7 years ago and got AF crew meals, but no wine. Damn good stuff by the way, much better than what I have to put up with now.

I also understand that the French Army gets a sip once a day.

KaptainKangaroo
25th Jun 2001, 07:59
I'd be happy just to get a crew meal !

greybeard
25th Jun 2001, 09:59
I was also greatly privilaged to fly for AF in 1990/1 and the small bottles were nearly allways on the trays, sometimes they came into the cockpit. The best use for the little bottles of Lanson was to put a few in your overcoat pocket to keep it from flapping on cold walk-a-rounds.
The joys of lazy Sunday mornings when you checked your pockets!!!!!
It is never what people think you do, or what you actually do, it's what you get caught doing is the problem???

Hussar 54
26th Jun 2001, 19:35
Flew around France ( freight, nights ) for almost 7 years and never even heard this rumour...

On the other hand, we regularly joked amongst ourselves about how many the ATC'ers had had with their dinner whenever we were issued with corrected instructions...

And there was one guy in the Tower at a fairly large airfield on the Atlantic Coast who was notorious for his consumption of the odd 'petit blanc' at 30 minute intervals throughout the night....seems that he was the only guy who would work the night shift, so got away with it for years.

On the other hand, this IS France we are discussing...

Prost !

flyblue
26th Jun 2001, 21:26
I have a feeling that this thread is getting slightly xenophobic...
You got the answer firsthand. Enough with the "I've heard..."

I have worked with airlines and crews of different nationalities. Do you REALLY want to know who are the real fishes in the industry?

flapsforty
26th Jun 2001, 21:48
Bluey,

I reckon most us know already............. ;)

And it ain't Air France ! :)

zfw
26th Jun 2001, 21:53
I dont know about AF,but i can confirm that Ib**** do/did.Whilst Despatching in the early 90s i used to see the crew on turnaround having the standard bottle of wine or beer with their meals.
Anyone from our Spanish friends wish to comment??.

OCC
29th Jun 2001, 04:37
Hi Guys,

The company I worked for did A.C.M.I. flights for Air France Cagro in 1992/3 all AF flight numbers and the crew meals always had a small bottle of plonk with them.
Straight into the nav bag and kept for the night stop.

Brgds

OCC