PDA

View Full Version : Boot problems after a new HDD install

Deano777
16th Mar 2007, 11:26
Hi all

I have bought a PC for my father in law (not new) that came without a HDD, basically it was the ATX case, the motherboard, the processor, the GFX card and the memory, the Processor is an Althlon 3000xp etc.
Anyway, I bought a new HDD for it, and we upgraded his old PC with a new sound card, DVD rewriter, Windows XP home (new copy) in the intent of moving all this to the newer PC once we had it running, anyway, we have had alot of issues getting it to boot on the new HDD let alone being able to install windows, but finally I have managed to get it to boot and install windows but the issue is when it has got to the point of setup copying files to the install folders it asks for a reboot which is normal, but then when it does reboot you see the bios figures flashing up on screen as normal but it then says
"searching for boot record from IDE-0 - not found"
"searching for boot record from CD-ROM"

Then it boots but goes through the initial windows install again, now this is what you would expect because it hasn't found any boot records on the HDD so it goes to the CD but the reason it is starting the process over again is because it hasn't found any on the HDD, but why has it not found any on the HDD? I have been through the Bios settings and made sure everything looks ok but is there anything I am missing? it has to be something simple, I have the system setup so that it boots from the IDE first, then the CD, but this still makes no difference.
If we can get it booting from the HDD then I am sure the windows installation will continue normally as it should.

Any ideas please? :ugh:

Thanks in advance

Dean

Deano777
16th Mar 2007, 11:51
Hi Chaps & Chappettes

Looks like I may have it working, I'll post back if I get any more issues

Thanks anyway

Dean :}

rickity
16th Mar 2007, 21:58
Not too sure which machine your hard drive is currently in. but if your intention is still to put in the new machine with xp installed, from my recent experiance, dont expect too much to be simple.

When i transfered a disk to a new machine it wouldnt boot at all, in fact i had to run xp repair from the cd which effectively re installed, calling for the key once again. once installed it also asked to be reactiviated. all the programs seemed to be ok and settings remained ok such as e-mail and internet. ms office also had to be reactiviated.

And then the hunt started to track down and install the motherboard bits and vga drivers.

so what seemed a simple idea actually took some time and some frustration to accomplish.

With hindsight a clean install on a new hard drive in the new machine would have been sweeter, and then install programs as required, and then use the transfer wizard to transfer settings for internet and e-mail etc.

So good luck with swapping the disk

Rickity