PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express 6 resetting pop3 address.

Copterfan
16th Mar 2007, 09:33
Hi,

This is for all you XP Pro whizzes, I have a problem that is annoying more than drastic, but I wondered if anybody else had come across it?

Each time I start Outlook Express 6 for the first time after a shutdown I cannot access my e-mail. After loads of searching I found that OE6 is resetting the correct 'Incoming mail POP3' address to '127.0.0.1' But it doesn't change the outgoing mail address :hmm: :ugh:

OK I can change it back, but it's beginning to bug me:(

So, does anybody know what to do and how to stop this? I'd appreciate any help? :)

Copterfan.

rickity
16th Mar 2007, 22:07
I smell a virus at work, or a legit e-mail spam washer at work. if you dont use a spam washer, time to look for a virus scan.

Rickity

Copterfan
17th Mar 2007, 08:09
HI Rickity,

You put me on the right track! I didn't think of that!

It was McAfee spam stopper, and when I (eventually) got rid of it all, including Av and Privacy service, all the other niggling little problems went away too. Pc is now up to speed and running happily with AVG (free)!

Thanks again, t'was driving me even (more) mental than normal!:D

Interestingly; original AV prog didn't find any problems on 'C' drive, but the new one found 73!:eek:

Cheers,

Copterfan.:cool:

Tarq57
17th Mar 2007, 11:08
What was the old AV you were using? (Just curious.)
As you may know, '127.0.0.1' is the internal loopback address (or something like that) in windows, that cause known blacklisted sites not to display, used by hosts file applications.

Copterfan
17th Mar 2007, 11:56
Hi Markjoy,

No I didn't know that, till now. Trouble was I was having to re-type the pop3 addresses of all accounts each time I wanted to access the e-mail, what a bloody wind-up! :ugh:

The programme which found no problems on the 'C' drive (BTW which was paid for and updated daily) was the A-V part of the McAfee Internet Suite. Thought Norton was Sh*te, but this one ended up worse.

Downloaded AVG (free) in minutes, now it is sorted, for now.:ok:

Copterfan.:)