PDA

View Full Version : Flying with Children/upgrades - GB Airways

k3lvc
16th Mar 2007, 08:49
I'm a regular SLF (mainly Europe) but not a particularly good flyer and therefore tend to pre-book and sit close to the front or overwing. Just about to book with GB Airways to SSH for June with wife, 4yo & 18mth old (neither of whom have flown before).

Any advice on best place to sit (other than me inside and them on the wing !!) - am assuming flight will be an A320 or similar, will be relatively full and that exit seats are out of the question.

Anyone flown this route recently and can give feedback on IFE (hopefully more than BA Euro Traveller but does it run to seat back screens) and food (website suggests All Day Deli - great for 5.5hrs !!)

Alternative is to splash the cash (an extra £500) on flying economy with Thomas Cook which doesn't really float my boat although may be better for the kids.

Final question is I read on here some time ago re cheap upgrades on GB from end March but there was no further info or confirmation. Can anyone advise whether these will apply to SSH routes in June and if so what I can do to improve my chances of getting one ?

Thanks for responses & mods - feel free to move if better in AAR.

MancRy
17th Mar 2007, 00:25
The LGW-SSH will be standard mid haul BA service.
Complimentary drinks and a full meal service....i.e not the all day deli.
Entertainment is via screens which are situated on the overhead panels with about 12 screens on the whole aircraft. There will be 1 film and comedy programmes on each sector.
The aircraft should be a A321 (although not certain as i am MAN based) and therefore does not have overwing exits.

As for going charter.......the level of comfort with GB will be a world apart.

flybywire
17th Mar 2007, 11:03
I agree with MancRy GB will definitely be mofre comfortable for you and your family. The seat pitch is bigger and the service will be different.

As for the best place to sit, to be honest with two small kids I would opt to sit towards the back, as toilets on the (very long) A321 are near the rear galley and on a 5 hour flight you might find yourself having to go back and forth to the loo many times to change nappies/take the elder to the loo etc and the last thing you want is to get stuck behind a trolley! Besides cabin crew will be closer to you if you need them and you'll see they will try their best to make you and the kids comfortable.

This is just my personal opinion, other people might think differently but I always see parents having more difficulties when they sit towards the front.

I do not know anything about upgrades for GB unfortunately, sorry I cannot help with this!

FBW

Turroncin
18th Mar 2007, 18:49
You might end up on a 320 it depends on how busy the flight is. I'd go for a row near the back for the access to the toilets and you can lift up the armrests incase your kids want to lie across e.g. your lap! When you get on ask for a blanket and pillow as there are very few loaded on board and go very quickly. Wait until your kids feel a bit chilly and you will probably find they've all gone. Possibly the only problem with flying GB with kids i.e. lack of blankets.