PDA

View Full Version : interline of baggage

RODGERSBHOY
15th Mar 2007, 17:43
i am booked to travel to jfk from gla via lhr, gla - lhr is with ba and lhr - jfk is with vs its booked with with expedia on an e-ticket checked pnr on ba.com and whole booking is showing does this mean that ba will through check my bags and vice versa on return

lexxity
15th Mar 2007, 20:26
On your PNR can you see your ticket number? It will start either 932 (Virgins IATA no.) or 125 (BA's). Each ticket number will have to start with the same three digits to be a through ticket. If not then I'm afraid you are on seperate tickets and will have to collect and recheck you luggage both ways. Feel free to om with a copy of your PNR and I can answer your question definitely.

RODGERSBHOY
15th Mar 2007, 20:32
hi on the expedia itin. it shows that all 4 tkts start with 932:)

RODGERSBHOY
16th Mar 2007, 14:54
tried to email itin. but couldn,t drag it to this forum

lexxity
16th Mar 2007, 17:42
It sounds as though you are on a through ticket.:ok:

RODGERSBHOY
16th Mar 2007, 17:51
so we can be on a through ticket even though our 1st and 4th flights are ba and b are able to give us boarding card for virgin sector

Middle Seat
16th Mar 2007, 19:59
Yes, you can be on a through ticket even with different and competing airlines. The advantage is the ability for BA to check your bags through to JFK at GLA, and at JFK, you can check your bags through to GLA. The two carriers likely do have an agreement to do this, but I wouldn't suspect that you'll be able to get a boarding pass for VS from BA or vice versa. If you cannot, the transfer desk area at LHR should be able to provide one. You shouldn't have to leave the secure area.

should he??

The_Banking_Scot
18th Mar 2007, 21:28
Hi,

after arriving at LHR form GLA follow signs to flight connections ( with a copy of your eticket receipt and take thebus to T3 where you will find the VS transit desks to get your VS bp ( assuming bags checked through).

On your return, the BA transit desks are after security in the Flight Connectinos centre of T1.

Regards

TBS

RODGERSBHOY
28th Mar 2007, 16:03
have just got reply back from virgin who have said to check with expedia about bags being checked through as they own booking expedia have said we will have to collect bags at lhr both times as travelling with 2 diff airlines is this right as e-ticket shows only vs iata number for both airlines which led me to believe that vs owned booking therefore we would be checked through :ugh:

Bluejay
30th Mar 2007, 09:00
Hi,
Yes you can check your bags all the way through, as long as it is a through ticket which in this case it is! You won't get a boarding card for the VS sector from BA and vice versa. You will almost definatley find that you will have to produce your bag tag receipts (don't leave check-in withouot them) as VS (and BA on the return) will ask for them as neither airline will have access to the others check-in system.
Hope this helps
Regards Bluejay

Regarding the ownership of the ticket, VS are just fobbing you off as it will be the airlines rules that count on the day as expedia will have nothing to do with your travel apart from the physical taking the money and issuing the ticket.

Tip for next time - fly BA all the way and your highest baggage allowance, ticket status etc will carry all the way through, your bags will be checked all the way and your boarding cards issued for both sectors.

Sorry another bit i have just remembered - you may need to pick your bag up in JFK and put it on the transfer belt (in the same baggage hall I beleive) this will only be required to satisfy US Customs. :)

boeingbus2002
30th Mar 2007, 11:50
Despite the extra hassles of collecting yr bags, I would do it.
With BA arriving in Term 1 and the VS flight in Term 3, there is a lot of scope yr bags might miss the flight. (If with BA all the way its different). It all depends on how long yr transit time is at LHR. You can always ask the VS gate staff to confirm your bags have made it.

MyData
6th Apr 2007, 08:54
Its a funny old world. I'm sitting in the BA lounge at LHR T1 as I type. Awaiting my flight to MAN on BA having just flown in from BOS on Virgin.

I have two PNRs as stated earlier in this thread, one for Virgin, one for BA.

At Manchester BA check-in earlier this week I was told that they could see my final destination on my itinerary was Boston. However they couldn't check the luggage through and I'd have to collect it at LHR.

Checking in with Virgin in Boston yesterday I was asked if I'd want my luggage checked all the way to Manchester. Yes please, and it was all done and dusted. How can this be?

I really wish that the luggage had been checked through on the outbound leg. I had 2.5hrs at LHR to pick up my luggage @ T1, get to T3, do the bag drop, then security etc. etc. Nightmare, spent the whole time queueing and was one of the last to board the flight. I was still in the security queue 15 mins *after* the flight had closed :-(

Something else that puzzles me each time I transfer through LHR from abroad... I never go through customs. I pick up my luggage at MAN and exit through domestic departures. Is this a glaring omission that has been around for years? If I did have something to declare who / where would I go to?

Boston TSA were *excellent*. My best US airport experience in a very long time - both the immigration entry checks and the departure checks were courteous, efficient, orderly and relatively rapid.

And finally, LHR security lost some points... I have my small laptop in a small laptop bag which fits into an approved sized cabin bag along with other stuff such as books, earphones etc. Being the efficient traveller I am I took my laptop bag out of the cabin bag ready for the security scan. I was pulled over by over zealous security and told that I could only take one bag on board and would have to check one in. I explained that I'd just taken the laptop bag *out* ready for scanning. Nope, not good enough. I even showed the empty space in the cabin bag. Still not good enough. So I had to put laptop bag back in cabin bag. Walk past the security chap only then to open the cabin bag to extract laptop bag to extract laptop for his colleague at the scanner. Doh! Use some sense guys - it only adds to the delays and frustration!

RODGERSBHOY
11th Apr 2007, 18:51
SENT YOUR COMMENTS TO EXPEDIA THEY GOT BACK TO ME AND SAID THAT I HAVE THE AIRLINES ACCEPTED 2 HRS TRANSFER WHICH IS ENOUGH TO PICK UP AND RE CHECK MY BAGS MMMMM?? ALSO TOLD THEM THAT COULDN'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY KEEP SAYING THAT AS I'M ON 2 SEPARATE AIRLINES I'M ON SEPARATE TKTS EVEN THOUGH ONLY VS IATA NO. GIVEN AND AFTER CHECKING BA SYSTEM THEY HAVE SAME TKT NO. FOR WHOLE JOURNEY. HOW HARD IS IT TO GET SOMEBODY ANYBODY JUST TO SAY WHAT I KNOW I'M ON A THROUGH TKT:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

TightSlot
11th Apr 2007, 22:26
Please don't SHOUT!!!

Punctuation is your friend (and in this case, it would also be ours)