PDA

View Full Version : for new SOs and cadet-turned-SOs...care to share?

energie
15th Mar 2007, 15:35
first of all, i'm no where near, but it's been a question at the back of my mind for a while (actually a few years) now.
You bring your significant other all the way to the east and relocate to HK (for at least a few years). How do you cope with the fact that a good half of each month, you'll be away and leaving her/him in HK alone, away from family and friends?
i guess is a pretty typical situation for pilots. I am sincerely looking for some good answers, so please, please refrain from cracking jokes at this :)
thanks!
E.

CAN-NOT!!
15th Mar 2007, 18:13
you'll be away and leaving her/him in HK alone, away from family and friends?

this leads to a lot of "inter-family relationships" among Cathay wives and pilots. Especially down over in Fantasy Island. Very strange things go on there.:} :}

On the beach
15th Mar 2007, 19:34
Energie

It all depends on your outlook on your short life on this planet. Do you want to look back on your life in 40 years time and say "I wish I'd .....".

I spent 9 years in HK and of all the places that I have lived in my short life it is certainly no worse than anywhere else and boy does it have some new life experiences - food, culture etc. If it's your first time away from your home country, then after the initial "culture shock" it is certainly an experience not to be missed. I'm sure your "significant other" will find plenty of expat friends who will help him/her to adjust to the new environment.

In the end only you can decide. But don't ever look back and think "If only".

On the beach

WaldoPepper
16th Mar 2007, 11:09
energie,

Almost everyone has done the same as you have so you have a very supportive group of friends when you arrive.

After spending a month in Adelaide with other new recruits, you'll know about 10-15 pilots. Once arriving in the Kong, you'll meet all the better looking halves and so will your wife/GF. It would be pretty unusual to know this many people and not get along with any of them.

When we arrived, we were unsure about a lot of things, but it's at the point now where we don't want to leave as we have made a lot of good friends here.

WP