PDA

View Full Version : Red face !

FullyFlapped
15th Mar 2007, 10:27
I have a strange "problem" ... whenever I fly light, unpressurised aircraft above about 6,000, my face flushes quite noticeably. I get no other symptoms, feel absolutely fine, just look like I've been sunbathing when I land!

Any ideas what may be going on ?

FF :ok:

PS : Yep, I know this is an complete gift to the more satirically equipped ... :ugh:

gingernut
15th Mar 2007, 11:12
How quickly does it start, and how quickly does it go, and are you doing/taking anything different before your "usual" flying?

And does anywhere else flush?

FullyFlapped
15th Mar 2007, 14:01
How quickly does it start, and how quickly does it go, and are you doing/taking anything different before your "usual" flying?
And does anywhere else flush?
(a) Within an hour, (b) last night it was still there 5 hours later, (c) and (d) not that I'm aware of !

gingernut
15th Mar 2007, 16:20
It sounds like vasodilation, the small vessels close to the skin opening up, usually as a result some sort of stimulus, drugs, heat, alcohol, and emotion are the usual culprits, but I'm wondering if the reduced pressure of altitude could be affecting things.

Sounds of no consequence, medically, but the usual disclaimer, "Any information gleaned from this forum MUST be backed up by consulting your state-registered health professional or AME."

Interesting fact- ever noticed how your loved one looks quite attractive when angry?- usually because the same physiological mechanisms which increase the breathing, cause perspiration, flush the face, flare the nostrils, dilate the pupils, etc occur both when angry, and when falling in love.

Mac the Knife
15th Mar 2007, 17:38
Urrrr.......sunlight?

There's still a fair bit of UV around even if its overcast and more so the higher you go.

Could be embarassment I s'pose, how are your landings? ;)

gingernut
16th Mar 2007, 09:29
Be nice to hear an opinion from a "proper" doctor.

the dean
16th Mar 2007, 10:00
not a doctor...ok...but an instructor / examiner over many years and having seen many different reactions...

i was just wondering if you have the heater on too high...and then it struck me...i wonder it could have anything to to with hypoxia..( which i doubt at such a low altitude ...and i presume there are no other symptoms like those normally associated with that )...

and then i wondered if there could be any traces of carbon monoxide getting into the cabin...and once again this would not normally be a symptom i would associate with that either...:confused:

on the thought advanced by gingernut...is it possible that this is just something as simple as excitement...if you were to do a few flights maintaining not above 1000/2000...what would you experience..?? i assume you have tried this and so i have to consider that it has something to so with altitude or the length of time you are spending in the aircraft since if you are talking about over 6000 feet i have to assume these are long trips...( taking me back to the earlier two thoughts )..

what would happen if :-

1) either you do as lon a trip down lower...or

2) you try a short trip above 6000..??:confused: ..in other words..how long does it take to manifest..??

:confused: :confused: :confused:

the dean

FullyFlapped
16th Mar 2007, 11:06
Could be embarassment I s'pose, how are your landings?
So far, matched numerically by my take-offs ! ;)

Ginergnut, thanks for the suggestion. I'll reseach vasodilation and altitude, see what I can find.

The Dean : Don't think it's excitement, it's certainly not a too-high heater, and the thought of CO is worrying but there again, I've flown many times at these levels with passengers, and no-one else seems to have the problem.

Hypoxia is interesting : the next time I do a trip at these levels, I'll go on oxygen throughout and see if it makes a difference. As to length of flight/heights involved - I'll try a few combinations and see what happens.

Blues&twos
16th Mar 2007, 21:05
I'd get that carbon monoxide theory checked out pretty smartish. Although it's less likely to be caused by CO entering the cockpit if no-one else seems to be affected, it's also potentially the most dangerous and insidious possibility. It's also probably the easiest possibile cause to confirm/eliminate as cheap CO detectors are widely available.

Mind you, 5 hours for the effects to wear off seems a bit long for low level CO poisoning.

Another thought....you're not flying inverted are you??? Have a look next time. Runway lights 2000ft above you are a dead giveaway.

gingernut
17th Mar 2007, 22:02
Yes, the most healthiest corpses are those poisoned with CO, very pink faces, with very little breath and heart sounds, but I think were on a bit of a red herring here:}

dirkdj
18th Mar 2007, 06:07
Probably allergic to sunlight.

I have this too and now take sunblock on my face unless I fly at night. It works.

It only developed in the last 6 years or so, may have something to do with age.

Mac the Knife
18th Mar 2007, 06:14
Couple of questions from an improper doctor :}

How long have you had these symptoms?

Do you get an associated rapid heartbeat?

Do they ever occur not associated with flying?

Do you take any medicines for anything?

How old are you?

Are you of Black or Mediterranean descent?

Do you get an associated feeling of heat?

How long does the flushing last?

Are they associated with facial or armpit or hand sweating?

Have you ever experienced diarrhea or tight chest/wheezing with the flushing?

FullyFlapped
19th Mar 2007, 09:46
Couple of questions from an improper doctor

How long have you had these symptoms? - last few years

Do you get an associated rapid heartbeat? - No

Do they ever occur not associated with flying? - No

Do you take any medicines for anything? - No

How old are you? - mid 40's

Are you of Black or Mediterranean descent? - No

Do you get an associated feeling of heat? - Yes

How long does the flushing last? - see above, can be hours

Are they associated with facial or armpit or hand sweating? - No

Have you ever experienced diarrhea or tight chest/wheezing with the flushing? - No

What's the word, Doc ? Will I make it ? ;)

Mac the Knife
22nd Mar 2007, 09:24
Yes FF, I think you'll make it......

No interesting clues, so probably just UV sensitivity as dirkdj describes.

Use a good sunblock & see how it goes.

:ok: