PDA

View Full Version : Info about F4 Phantom XT860 Crash

shadow57
14th Mar 2007, 20:37
Hello

I am trying to find out information about the loss of Phantom FG1 XT860 from 43 Squadron on the 20th April 1988. If anybody has info about the crash situation, recovery of the aircraft, crash site or any other stuff for my research I would be really grateful.
Please be aware that I do not want to bring back any upsetting memories for anyone connected with the aircrew that perished.

Thanks for your time John

Tiger_mate
14th Mar 2007, 20:59
April 1988
RAF Phantom FG1 XT860 43 Sqn Flew into sea during Exercise Elder Forest no ejection

Flight Lieutenant Philip Donald Clarke killed
Flight Lieutenant Kevin John Poysden killed

Google reveals some photos from both RAF camo / barley grey and RNAS Yeovilton days. All of the above is from public domain and therefore not verified. A crash into the North Sea may not have involved wreckage recovery.

ORAC
14th Mar 2007, 21:40
I may be recalling the wrong accident, someone please correct me if I am, but if IIRC, I have a vague recollection this accident involved a day when there was a thin layer of sea fog as well as multiple layers of low cloud.

They had been chasing various targets climbing and descending through the layers and flew into the sea chasing down a target flying just above the fog.

The supposition being that they lost SA and thought the fog layer was just another cloud layer and descended into it.

PPRuNeUser0211
14th Mar 2007, 23:18
ORAC, that sounds very like the F3 accident that the flight safety guys show the data-recorded info from along with cockpit recordings. Don't know if the same thing happened twice but suspect you might be thinking of that one?

Take That
16th Mar 2007, 07:20
Flew into the sea on Day 3 of Ex ELDER FOREST 88. AM wave, committed onto low level tgts from CAP east of Leuchars. Poor weather, multi-layer cloud on top of a layer of sea fog, the top of which was approx 100'. No distress call, no ejection, just the sad loss of Nobby and KP. Some wreckage was recovered, which was laid out in a HAS in the Treble One Squadron site for the BOI.

shadow57
16th Mar 2007, 17:40
Thanks for the info everyone and your time

John

hannah89
31st Mar 2016, 20:45
hi, I know you wrote this a fair few years ago but can I ask why you are asking?

thanks

hannah

Hello

I am trying to find out information about the loss of Phantom FG1 XT860 from 43 Squadron on the 20th April 1988. If anybody has info about the crash situation, recovery of the aircraft, crash site or any other stuff for my research I would be really grateful.
Please be aware that I do not want to bring back any upsetting memories for anyone connected with the aircrew that perished.

Thanks for your time John

Courtney Mil
31st Mar 2016, 22:59
Hannah,

Shadow57 hasn't posted here for well over six years; I doubt he'll even see this. I have the impression that his interest was technical in nature as I think he was an engineer on ejection seats. I don't think there was anything of any relevance in his question.

MACH2NUMBER
1st Apr 2016, 14:00
Hannah,
I agree with CM and mindful of Shadow57s last comment, I suggest sleeping dogs should lie.
M2N

theonewhoknows
1st Apr 2016, 22:13
Hannah, a strange post. My best friend and a very good friend died. Just know that they are still remembered with great love and fondness.

Shaun137
26th Apr 2019, 05:26
Hannah, a strange post. My best friend and a very good friend died. Just know that they are still remembered with great love and fondness.

I know this post is old, but is this Phil Clarke that was from Stafford that used to go to Graham Balfour School?