PDA

View Full Version : Navy ATC (warning - wannabe question)

Wannabe Flyboy
13th Mar 2007, 14:15
I have a very similar problem to the guy who posted the "Non eligible - But i can get a civilian class 1 medical" topic. I applied to the FAA (I even passed all three aptitude tests and got a place on the Special Flying Award) but got rejected due to my childhood asthma for aircrew.

However, I apparently can still serve in ground branches. Which gives me three avenues of thought:

1) Join the RN as an Air Traffic Controller.
2) Join the RN as warfare officer.
3) Forget the military and go and fly Boeings.

I'm quite drawn to a Naval job, especially in the FAA, largely due to the lifestyle surrounding it (despite everything that is posted on this forum!). Civvy ATC may be better paid but living around Swanwick/West Drayton doesn't really appeal to me.
The two things I've always wanted to do is join the RN and fly. I'm not going to be able to do both now so I've got a choice of one or the other. I don't have a burning desire to fly Boeings but if I go into the RN now I can always potentially look at a airline career in the future.

So essentially, my question is what is it like doing RN ATC? I've done a search which has brought up a little information but it's quite old and written slightly tongue-in-cheek. What will a typical day involve? How much time do you spend at sea? Are ALL controllers pilot/observer drop-outs or are there actually some people who had it as their first choice? :}

TIA for any help.

Widger
13th Mar 2007, 14:48
Check your PMs.

:ok:

Wader2
13th Mar 2007, 14:49
Wanabee, can't speak for the RN although they do have RAF ATC on exchange, but RAF ATC and Fighter Control (Naval D) usually need most of the aptitude or skill sets for pilot or nav but, as in your case, might have a medical problem which precludes them from being aircraft.

In other words these are all skill/aptitude jobs.

Go warfare. These are the guys that fight the ship.

D O Guerrero
13th Mar 2007, 16:00
Wannabe, if you really, really want to join the Navy and earn half of what you could at NATS and do 3 times the work, then please, please don't join up as Warfare!
I made that mistake some years back. I went to the AIB and got in as an ATCO. They tricked me into joining the bloody warfare branch and I fell for it! D'oh! A mate of mine who was already in said 'it's your funeral'. I wouldn't listen!

Feel free to pvt me if you want to know more...
D O G

bad livin'
13th Mar 2007, 20:57
Concur with D O G. Don't do it. Just don't.

Trust me. There's a good reason every other warfairy I went through with is either now doing something else or desperately wants to.

A very good reason.

Seldomfitforpurpose
13th Mar 2007, 21:07
Avenue of thought 3, I mean Air Traffic or Pilot...........it's a no brainer :rolleyes:

Wader2
14th Mar 2007, 10:46
Why not warfare then? Mind you, my daughter turned down warfare and became an RAF Supplier instead.

Seldomfitforpurpose
14th Mar 2007, 11:22
And you let her.............bad daddy :eek:

Wader2
14th Mar 2007, 11:47
SFFP, you probably know her. She served at a secret base in Oxon.

Seldomfitforpurpose
14th Mar 2007, 12:49
When you say I probably know her..........what exactly do you mean as I do know the odd supplier who never say NO to a reasonable request :E

Wader2
14th Mar 2007, 13:02
SFFP, fuel one one tour and black boxes on another, no blankets yet.