PDA

View Full Version : pyscometric test tips

boogie-nicey
13th Mar 2007, 10:15
I realise that numerous airlines now make frequent use of pyscometric testing for candidates. However what's it all about really ....? Is there is a 'pass' mark or does your profile have to fall into a certain template for you to be deemed a success.

When it comes to the type of tests which are the most popular and how best can I prepare for them (arggggh!) so that on the day I am more fluid than anchored?

Your help is as always greatly appreciated :O

FrayCampbell608
13th Mar 2007, 10:27
I dont have any experience of the tests but you can get hold of 'how to pass psychometric' test books.
I think practically you need to go in and be yourself, but this may not get you in as tehy may not like you!
Im asking the same questions, what part is it that you are wondering about? Just the aptitude side or the PILAPT tests and personality stuff?

Elixir
13th Mar 2007, 11:46
You just have to be yourself and answer truthfully! The same questions come up but worded differently and if you are not answering truthfully you can be caught out....The interview generally follows the personality test and they will check that your test profile result ties in with your persona at interview.

They can be tricky especially when you come across a question such as "I get frustrated when stuck in traffic jams" - just think about how you would USUALLY feel not necessarily ALWAYS feel and answer accordingly.

There are a few tests on the web you can practice on but I'm not sure how useful preparation is for these tests! Good luck :ok:

MajorYaw
13th Mar 2007, 13:46
Recruiters tend to use these tests as indicators only, rather than a deciding factor. Psych tests can be affected by how you feel right at that time, and they are not 100% reliable. There are increasing levels of sophistication that cross check a respondents answers to help identify whether he/she is being truthful.

As mentioned, books on psych tests and assessment centres will explain the thinking behind such tests and give some general advice on how to conduct yourself.

Having done some and also having administered some, I would say there's little point in trying to answer in an unnatural way. It's probably worse for the test to indicate that you're lying or being inconsistent, rather than it indicate aspects of your personality which are close to the truth.

Recruiters are fully aware and accepting that everyone has character flaws, and that these can be overcome or outweighed by character strengths, or a good level of self-awareness and determined action.

A smart candidate will have tried some of these tests, looked at the answers and thought about themselves in order to better present themselves in an interview e.g. "I know that one of my failings is that I do too many hours at work, and have sometimes become stressed out. Knowing this, I set cut off points and stick to them, and do a lot of exercise to manage any stress. I ringfence family time and nothing gets in the way.".

tom775257
14th Mar 2007, 08:28
An interesting question. Personally I just listened to some advice I read on PPrune and just answered quickly without thinking too much. Too be honest it was the easiest and most relaxing of all the tests... I'd me more concerned about your flying skills, interview technique etc.

Oh yeah, and speaking to a few of my friends who just had interviews in the U.K. as well as the usual tech and personality stuff they are asking questions about political view/ world politics and throwing in some random metal maths questions e.g. you are 5 miles out on a 3 deg ILS into an airport at 1500ft AMSL, what altitude are you at. Not difficult but might catch you out under the stress of the situation.

boogie-nicey
14th Mar 2007, 09:34
Political views are understandable in this day and age of silly, overly liberal and employee rules culture. I guess you don't want any misinformed greenies in the cockpit or anywhere near it. Nor do they want some repeat of self elected part time pilot that just wishes to spend more time with their family.

Sorry about that rant over.