PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter EFIS videos

HeliComparator
12th Mar 2007, 23:28
You can tell I am bored, stuck at home with a bad cold. I thought I would try to post a video onto YouTube of an EC225 EFIS - the FND (FlightNav Display) in action during an ILS, then link to it here. If that works and is of interest, all we now need is the same for EC155, S92, C++, 101, 139 etc

Its at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSfwlnGNiio

The quality was not too bad when I started (honest!) but uploading and processing has made it rather grainy. Sorry.

I was in the jump seat before anyone asks...

HC

212man
13th Mar 2007, 00:02
Interesting: I'll see if I can film something next month in WPB (less vibration!)

Out of interest:

Was the LHS pilot PF? I note the ILS-1 was being coupled.

Does your FMS have a command heading function, thereby allowing seamless transition from en-route to vectors to ILS, without resorting to HDG mode?

Do you normally arm the LOC that late, or were the crew waiting to be cleared "to intercept the localiser"? (not a criticism, just curious)

Could you fly a bit slower next time to avoid giving S-92 pilots a complex!!!;)

HeliComparator
13th Mar 2007, 09:03

Yes, this was the RHS pilot's FND but it was coupled to the LHS pilot's FND - you can tell its not coupled to the screen shown because if it was, the localiser and gs deviation indicators would be green, not magenta, and the nav source for the screen (where is says ILS2, on the left 1/3 of the way up) would be in inverse video and green.

No, there is no command heading mode on the FMS - we just use heading mode and you then "steer" the aircraft using lateral cyclic beep trim (or the rotary knob on the flight control panel). If its a procedural approach you can be coupled to the FMS on your other screen (NAV D) and arm the ILS so it will automatically couple to ILS on approaching localiser, but for radar vectors we use heading mode.

The crew are just waiting to be cleared to intercept the localiser. From a technical point of view you can arm the ILS any time you have a steady signal. You can have both ALT.A and GS armed at the same time. Typically it would be ALT.A selected first, then GS so in that case the system will wait to capture on ALT and then look for GS coming in, so if ATC has instructed you to descend you will reach that alt before the GS couples even if it has taken you through the GS.

HC