PDA

View Full Version : RAF Official Photographs

Maxibon
12th Mar 2007, 11:28
Good morning

Whilst going through Tac Weapons at Brawdy in 1991, I flew in a photo shoot of the Hawk which ended up in the 1992 RAF Calendar. As I now have nothing to do with the light blue, I am keen to try and get hold of some prints so that my sons can believe that their father is not the bull sh*tting old has been that everyone else knows him to be.

Any suggestions welcome.

Maxibon

tonkabloke
12th Mar 2007, 20:50
Hi would be interested in seeing that also, was a young impresionable airframe mechanic back then, best days of my life!!!

Tonkabloke:)

Jackonicko
13th Mar 2007, 00:17
What airframes, in what colour scheme, and what squadron markings.

I may be able to help.

PPRuNeUser0211
13th Mar 2007, 00:29
Jacko's past the 2500 mark and not a word of celebration! Well done Jacko. Would be interested in seeing these pics as well, was around at the time and remember some photos being taken, but not which ones made the final cut!

Violet Club
13th Mar 2007, 01:38
2,505 massages...I'm guesstimating 15 minutes a post (average) 'cos it often takes that long just to read them...so that's 37,575 minutes or 626 (and a bit) hours or almost a month's non-stop solid Ppruning.
When's that Vulcan book due?
VC

Maxibon
13th Mar 2007, 09:02
The hawk was in red white & blue - the only one that wasn't grey in the Brawdy fleet. I was with Pots in the subject aircraft whilst the photographer was with OC Ops in the photographing aircraft - what a terrible pilot (OC Ops rather than Potts)- held his altitude like an Alton Towers ride and despite our best efforts nearly smashed into us on more than one occasion.

There must be an RAF PR or archive Dept in Main Building that deals such matter, or maybe not?

airborne_artist
13th Mar 2007, 09:47
I wouldn't trust any branch of the Services to know where to find such things. My father was Captain of HMS Hardy and the first UK vessel on scene when the Aer Lingus Viscount crashed in the St George's Channel in the 1960s.

For years afterwards the conspiracy theorists were saying it was brought down by a missile from Aberporth. The MoD went to look for the ship's log for a much later enquiry, and could not find it. My father had a visit over thirty years later asking what he had. :ugh:

Jackonicko
13th Mar 2007, 10:49
Many of the in service RAF Hawk photos over the years were taken by Geoff Lee, once BAE Kingston's photographer, and if he was the phot on your sortie then it will be easy to obtain copies.

Geoff is famously and deservedly regarded as being one of the nicest men in aviation, and is someone who seems to have managed the difficult feat of achieving professional success while remaining approachable and eager to help people.

He is an absolutely Top bloke!

If it was a service phot, things may be more difficult.

1) It could have been taken at 'Station Level'. If so what happened to the negs will be a complete lottery. They may have been routinely binned even before the station closed, or when the station closed. They may have gone into storage somewhere, they may have been passed on to the RAF Museun (unlikely) or may have been lost.

2) It may have been taken by a Strike Command photographer. If so, Strike might still have the negatives. An approach to their PR people (Mr Dale Donovan is far and away the most helpful bloke in the department, and the most 'aviation'-minded) might bear fruit.

3) It may have been taken by a DPR photographer (probably Sergeant Rick Brewell at that time). His negatives will be in King Charles St, and may be accessed via the Air Historical Branch, though they're not set up to help private individuals.

Given a bit more detail, or a sight of the picture, I could probably guess which of the above options is most likely.

Wader2
13th Mar 2007, 10:54
It is also possible that the photographs were routinely forwarded to AHB along with the Form 540. That route really depends on how keen the 540 officer was and what cooperation existed between the phot section and the 540 officer.

Maxibon
13th Mar 2007, 12:35
Thanks but I have no other details except the calendar. What's the best route to getting to speak to the AHB - I'm still serving albeit in a greener shade these days.

Wader2
13th Mar 2007, 12:41
Try 95271 7144, the incumbent, SC, clears articles for publication. I am sure he will assist.

Exrigger
13th Mar 2007, 19:44
Maxibon do not know if these are of help or was your name on the calender to prove your point:

http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/airshow01/boscombe/boscombe.htm

http://www.amv83.net/asm/Sig/europe/UK/Hawk/Hawk4fts70year.jpg

GeoAC
21st May 2007, 01:22
Strange that you mention the kids not believing!! I was a Fireman at Brawdy 1975-79 and although all of my stories are as true as the day that they were born , my son cannot believe some of the stories that I tell him re. that camp!!
From Plumbers devising their own modes of transport made from starter shells to making mortars for fun!!
Airmans Mess cooks ( Rollo Black?) pissing in the stew to see the reaction from all who ate!!
The SWO`s wife wandering around camp telling people to "Have a haircut"
Those were fantastic days! And these were only on the Domestic Site!!!
And Brawdy was classed as a punishment posting!! T`was the place to be, morelike!

GeoAC
21st May 2007, 01:34
Myself (SAC Fireman ) and SAC Gary Hatchell were sent with a D.P.M. to the bomb range at RAF Pembrey for the first official firing of a full weapons test of the Hawk ex. Hunter! All I can remember was the Range Seargent commenting that the underslung gun looked like "An Elephants Prick"!!!
And he wasn`t far wrong! If I`m correct , and PLEASE correct me if I`m wrong, it was the first RAF aircraft to have a gun barrel outside of the fusellage!

Dockers
21st May 2007, 05:38
I understand that the MoD agreed, some time ago, that negatives and original digital media would be sent to the Imperial War Museum. This, of course, means that you will have to pay for any prints (as would the MoD). This I know as I had to source some Naval photographs from the IWM.

Release-Authorised
21st May 2007, 06:40
GeoAC,

I remember from photographs that the observer's gun on the Bristol Fighter of 1918 was also outside the fuselage. I think that this may pre-date the Hawk.:E

Wingswinger
21st May 2007, 06:50
PLEASE correct me if I`m wrong, it was the first RAF aircraft to have a gun barrel outside of the fusellage!

Yep, you're wrong. Not even the first jet. The Harrier GR1/1A/3/T4 had two 30mm ADENs externally mounted. F4 Phantom had the M61 Vulcan cannon.

Jackonicko
21st May 2007, 06:55
Canberra B(I)8: Four 20 mm Hispanos with external barrels.....

oxoneil
21st May 2007, 07:07
Phantom, underslung SUU gun. Sorry, teach me to read all the posts first. But we did call it a SUU gun, on the techie side anyway.

PPRuNeUser0211
21st May 2007, 16:14
Believe the SE5a made it into RAF service... vickers gun mounted on the upper wing surface, not sure if that counts being on the wing and all though?

Red Snow
21st May 2007, 16:22
... and the original can-opener. Hurricane IId/IV.

RAFPHOT
14th Jun 2007, 09:58
Maxibon,

It is possible I took the photograph you are looking for. I was stationed at RAF Brawdy from 1975-1979. However, more inportantly I was the RAF PR photographer from 1989 - 1998. I did visit Brawdy and I did fly with OC Ops taking photographs of the "Raspberry Ripple" coloured Hawk. We also used a rear facing pod and took some "Head on" shots over the Welsh coast somewhere near Manorbier. If you can remember what the background was at the time, I might still have the odd print lying around!

Wader2
14th Jun 2007, 13:49
The BE2c also had a gun outside the fuselage in 1915.

Maxibon
16th Jun 2007, 08:44
RAFPHOT please check your PMs

Maxibon

Gainesy
16th Jun 2007, 09:21
RAFPHOT, that you Rick?

RAFPHOT
20th Jun 2007, 08:19
Gainesy,

It just could be !!!

morrisman68
26th Aug 2020, 07:39
Old thread, I know, but did you succeed? If not I can almost certainly get a date for you from Potts's log book - he's my brother.

Maxibon
26th Aug 2020, 08:44
I did thanks! Just looking back on this threat, RAFPHOT was the very photographer and I now have a large copy on the snug wall, much to my wife's chagrin, along with all the other self-adoration pics that can only come from an aircrew-fuelled ego.

Hope Martin's well; I bought a windsurf off him and used to potter (pardon the pun) about at Dale back in the days....

Max

Maxibon
26th Aug 2020, 08:48
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1504/acf6d98f_97b8_4373_864e_0ef03cb6801a_5fb4a2a73ca4c6f98ea580a 328e1dc46ff1b0eae.jpeg
In fact, here it is!

AndoniP
26th Aug 2020, 14:59
you should both be proud, lovely shot, and it's not every day people get to hang photos like that in their homes.

salad-dodger
26th Aug 2020, 16:14
Could be anyone flying that. I’ve got a pic of a Nimrod. Doesn’t mean I was flying it.

just another jocky
26th Aug 2020, 16:38
Could be anyone flying that. I’ve got a pic of a Nimrod. Doesn’t mean I was flying it.

Covid-blues or are you just naturally mean spirited?

Maxibon
26th Aug 2020, 16:57

AndoniP, thank you very much; it was a very enjoyable sortie; two SAPs after the pic up to N Wales, home and then off to Bristol for the weekend.

S-D, perhaps covid's getting to you or you just post ill-thought-out crap. The sooner they remove the corn cob from your arse, the happier you'll be.

salad-dodger
26th Aug 2020, 17:06
S-D, perhaps covid's getting to you or you just post ill-thought-out crap. The sooner they remove the corn cob from your arse, the happier you'll be.
Well covid has certainly done for your sense of humour. ex-Harrier pilot per-chance?

You certainly have a very sensitive ego.
corn cob though, never really thought of that as a sex toy, will certainly give it some thought.