PDA

View Full Version : first plane??

TANGO TANGO
11th Mar 2007, 23:38
I was just wondering what would the best plane to buy for a first a/c i have been looking closly at the cap-10 as aerobatics is the direction i want to go, but in saying that i still want to be able to take the odd pleasure flight (some range in the tanks). Has anyone any information on this girl they would like to share? or indeed any suggestions on a first a/c would be greatfully taken on board also? oh all my flying has been done in a pa-28 so far.

Rod1
12th Mar 2007, 08:33
I am not the world leading expert on the cap 10 but it is refreshing to read that somebody is interested in something other than a PA28/172. If all your flying has been on PA28 the a Tail dragger will be quite a shock. You will need to do differences training – about 5 hours. I would get this done, then find a club which will hire out a cap 10 and have a go. It is only after this that you will know if it is the aircraft for you.

Rod1

stiknruda
12th Mar 2007, 08:46
First plane - A Stanley No4!

CAP10's are fine - the C model with the carbon fibre wing has some new G limits imposed, I understand.

Humaround
12th Mar 2007, 09:04
Don't fear the taildragger - most people will convert in less than 5 hours (I did it in 1hr 30) and it really ain't that hard to do, although some types are harder than others so always approach a new type with a proper briefing.

TANGO TANGO
12th Mar 2007, 18:29
Ah yes the no4... already have one and a beautiful one she is!
has anyone had much experience with one (i have read about the spars) good or bad, loved it or hated it running costs etc??

javelin
12th Mar 2007, 22:25
I would also look at a Bellanca Citabria or Decathlon.

They have had spar inspections but not as bad as the CAP.

Citabria is a really good alround aeroplane, +5/-2g, great handling, excellent visibility and on the flapped model, good short field ability.

It would be a better balance of tourer and aerobatic machine than a CAP.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
13th Mar 2007, 13:55
I think you should consider the Rabbet plane, which in my opinion is one of the best you can buy. Others you might wish to consider are the Jack plane, the Stanley No. 32 transitional jointer plane (which is 26 inches long!), and the finger plane etc etc.

Not sure you'd ever get one to fly, but great bits of woodworking kit anyway! :ok:

B2N2
13th Mar 2007, 14:24
SF 260, fast tourer and good aero's:

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/j/SIAI-Marchetti%20SF260.jpg

DubTrub
13th Mar 2007, 14:37
If you're based at a one runway airport then a taildragger is less attractive. Why is that, pray?

Monocock
13th Mar 2007, 14:41
Fabric/wood aircraft are prone to hangar rash in busy environments

Do metal ones repel each other in busy environments then?

Genghis the Engineer
13th Mar 2007, 15:30
How long is a piece of string?

For example - what sort of touring do you want to do, what's your purchase and running budget, how many seats do you want, how much aerobatics do you really want to do, how many hours per year do you hope to fly?.....

G

Them thar hills
13th Mar 2007, 17:31
TT
Assuming you don't have to rob post offices to fund your flying, a Tipsy Nipper is very affordable, simple, strong, ugly as sin, and FUN. And single seat, so you can indulge all day without any excuse at all !
If you can do tidy aeros in a Nipper, you'll be doing OK.:)

BackPacker
13th Mar 2007, 21:03
Taildraggers are more difficult to handle on hard surface runways as compared to nosewheel equipped aircraft, particularly with a serious crosswind. If your airport only has one (hard) runway you can be severely limited in moderate winds whereas you would not have a problem at all if your field has multiple soft surface runways, each aligned in a different direction.

kingtoad
15th Mar 2007, 06:07
I'd suggest you look at the Citabria / Decathlon Family. Easy to maintain, cheap to run (similar running costs to the PA28), fun to fly!