PDA

View Full Version : Bulfers FMC book, is it worth it?

Jimmy The Big Greek
10th Mar 2007, 19:49
I bought bulfers FMC book about 8 years ago and I found it to be really bad and horrible layout making it not so pedagogic. A real waste of money.

I am wondering if he has done any improvements with newer revisions.
There is not much material regarding FMC out there.
I am thinking about buying The "combination 737 cockpit companion" and the "Combination 737 FMC guide" Is it worth buying his books? Couldn't find any samples of his books.

Kit d'Rection KG
12th Mar 2007, 11:14
Jimmy,

I find all his books very worthwhile. The FMC guide was never going to be a rip-roaring read, was it?! All the information that you'll need is in there, though. It just takes some time. The cockpit companions are excellent.

Kit

Permafrost_ATPL
12th Mar 2007, 15:58
If it covers how to stop VNAV picking a geometrical approach path after any altitude restriction, in version 10.6, I'll buy it :}

Totally useless for most approaches. Hopefully 10.7 will have this sorted out.

P

Ashling
12th Mar 2007, 16:03
I found his cockpit companions great but was a little disapointed in the FMC guide, some good gen in there but you had to dig to find it.

IRRenewal
12th Mar 2007, 20:15
If it covers how to stop VNAV picking a geometrical approach path after any altitude restriction, in version 10.6, I'll buy it
Wishful thinking. Geometric descent used to be a customer option before 10.6, but not anymore. We're all stuck with it. I do agree though, pain in the proverbial. Information here (http://www.smartcockpit.com/pdf/plane/boeing/B737/instructor/0010/).

Let's hope this gets 'fixed' in the next version.

Jimmy The Big Greek
15th Mar 2007, 00:42
I just bought Mike Ray's B737 simulator survival guide. I hope it will be good.
I will give you a review when I receive it.

Telstar
16th Mar 2007, 11:41
I don't fully understand why the 10.6 update does it even after reading your link IRRenewal

Would I be correct in saying that previously the FMC would allow a level segment in the descent path, but now it will only allow a continuous idle thrust descent, which is why it gives me speeds of 210 kts with 95 track miles from touchdown? It is trying to extend the glide range by using a low speed? I notice that whenever you select direct say the FAF it reduces to the flaps up speed even if you are 100 miles away.

Its really put me off VNAV. You spend so much time programming it, its just not worth it especially on short flights, I just can't be bothered now.

Jinkster
17th Mar 2007, 20:58
Cockpit companion is fantastic!

I'm trying to get hold of the FMC guide, one went on ebay for about £20 last week but I missed it!!!!!!

Marvo
18th Mar 2007, 10:32
Jinkster, send me £20 and you can have mine ! Immaculate condition.. Just left Ryanair for the delights of an easy 319 so I don't need it. PM me.

Marvo

Centaurus
18th Mar 2007, 13:46
I just bought Mike Ray's B737 simulator survival guide

I haven't heard of it before. Where do you buy it from and have there been any revues of it?

Jimmy The Big Greek
18th Mar 2007, 16:44
You can buy it here http://www.utem.com/
I have not received mine yet. I will give you a review as soon as I get it.