PDA

View Full Version : MSN Messenger not working

Big_Johnno
10th Mar 2007, 19:19
:ugh: MSN Messenger not working on my wireless network on one computer. i have it running ok on one but it will not work on the other. the internet is all working fine it is just messenger. i have setup all the browser proxies with the wireless settings identical on both running DHCP. I have even turned off the xp firewall in case it was causing the problem but still no good. any ideas please? :ugh:
John

Cypherus
10th Mar 2007, 22:33
Without an indication of the error code given on the connection failure flag or obtained from the logging page you might like to try a few of the following, or try here directly: http://messenger.msn.com/Help/

Open the 'Tools' option from the top line of the Messenger page and select 'Connection' from the list, three options on teh connections page will present themsleves,, if Messenger is actually connected it will tell you how and infrom you of what connection method is being used, Probably through a UPnP port restricted access NAT followed by your account header, if not then press the refresh button once to try and make a direct connection.

If the system has already detected a connection failure the Troubleshooter button will be illuminated, click Start to begin the process which will pull you through to a solution if possible, if not it will give either a direct answer as to why it cannot connect or indicate were you should go for the next step.

One further item is the advanced settings option, Here you need only check your TCP/IP protocol health, if it fails you will need to re-install it on that computer.

The option for logging should be checked by default, and it's output is stored in My Documents\My Recieved files directory and can be read with notepad for information to help track the problem.

Few other items might possibly help.

Open the XP firewall and click the 'Exceptions' Tab, if Messenger is not listed click 'Add Program' and select it from the list presented, click OK and try once again to connect, not aware of why it does this, but on occasions the firewall continues to block programs and utilities 'NOT' on the excempt list even though it has been turned off. You can also use this page to open a port through the firewall, (Port Forwarding)

Next option, Click the 'Advanced' Tab and then highlight your connection and click settings, make sure ALL the boxes under Services and ICMP are checked and try and connect messenger once again.

Other than that the only thing that comes to mind is the .NET enviroment

Big_Johnno
11th Mar 2007, 03:47
Thank You Cypherus,
There is some valuable information there i will see if i can get an error code and go from there.
All The Best John