PDA

View Full Version : Qualifications for a freelance IT/Network Techician?

Oxeagle
10th Mar 2007, 17:27
Afternoon chaps,

I would like to know what, if anything, are the minimum required qualifications to work as a freelance IT/Network technician. I have worked in such a role for a year before moving to my current job in Flight Ops doing everything from basic system repairs and upgrades to administering a 300-computer network, and prior to that I have had 5 years experience of working on computer systems and basic networks. I am now looking at doing freelance work in the evenings and weekends to help fund my flying habit :rolleyes: So, do I need a qualification such as the CompTIA A+ and N+, MCSE etc or is my experience enough on its own?

Cheers,

Ox

rotorcraig
10th Mar 2007, 18:21
If you are looking to work as a contractor, into major IT suppliers or clients then I'd say yes - professional accreditations are increasingly necessary to open the door for an interview.

From your "freelance work in the evenings and weekends" I wonder whether you are actually looking to work for private individuals (fixing PCs, setting up home wireless etc). If so, just get yourself a horse and some spurs and you'll fit in with 99% of the competition :D:ok:

RC

Cypherus
10th Mar 2007, 18:28
If your going to go freelance IT one entry level cert you will find of use is the MCDST, requires two exams and can be done as a home course, this site will steer you too what ever else you feel you might need.

http://www.mit.com.au/microsoft_tech_education/courses/courses_microsoft_certification_mcdst.htm

amanoffewwords
10th Mar 2007, 18:38
I'd go down the CCNA route.

I'll rephrase that: I am going down the CCNA route - starting this May with a course from the Open University.

Can't go wrong with Cisco, imho.

Oxeagle
10th Mar 2007, 19:13
RC - I'm just looking to work part-time in addition to my current job, and although I would prefer some kind of contract beggars can't be choosers, so I would settle for private work such as you describe.
Cypherus - Firstly, many thanks for your help with my WLAN issues :ok: I'm not sure if the MCDST is really what i'm looking for. I would like to take qualifications that are geared more towards advanced systems and network support. If you could recommend which courses you think fit those criteria it would be of great assistance

Cheers,

Ox

Gertrude the Wombat
10th Mar 2007, 20:19
No qualifications are required (which is the question you asked) - this is not a regulated industry.

Some qualifications might be useful, to answer a question you didn't ask, in competing with the other suppliers out there.

I once ever got a job because I had a qualification that the other guy on the shortlist didn't have, and it was otherwise a toss-up between us (or so the TD told me after I'd started in the job). But for the freelance work I do now I rely mostly on reputation, with the CV on the web site for anyone who doesn't know me. Mostly people care about whether you have the practical experience and prefer someone who knows what they're doing to someone who has passed a few exams.

planecrazy.eu
12th Mar 2007, 16:08
I second that. I have done some work, web-design, programming and some server installations and never needed any 'paper'

I used an Agency, they quized me and ripped me to shreds to find out what i knew, and more importantly, what i thought i know but dont really.

When i was doing my Uni course, i was offered to do the MS Certifications, but you are talking big money usually to take a class for these things. Home learning is good, but doesnt come close to the classroom in my opinion.

It all depends on what you want to do, there are plenty of Agencies out there, go to them and ask them and then the'll tell you if you need any extra bits of paper to do what you want.

As for CompTIA. I dont do slander, but friends of mine have had there fingers burnt there, so go with caution...

At the end of the day, experience speeks louder than some paper you have.