PDA

View Full Version : Age of Posts in this Forum are times changing?

Chems
10th Mar 2007, 15:37
Ive been reading through the forums a lot recently, just started my PPL and have a application started with the RAF. Ive noticed that a lot, well all of the threads in the Wanna be a Pilot sticky, the replies are 3-4 years old.

For example the Is it Worth it Thread, the replies for the most part bar the last few are from 2003 and 9/11 is a big factor. But I heard on the news that the airline buisness is in boom still, and my next door neighbour is a Virgin Pilot and he hasnt said anything about it been really hard to get jobs, and a friend of the family flys for BA and he says that BA are opening up there applications for training again this year. This might all be hearsay but it begs the question, is the mine of information in this forum still current?

Mohit_C
10th Mar 2007, 17:12
I really hope your words come true for the situation in Spain. I'm thinking of doing my ATPL integrated course out of Málaga as it seems to be "apparently" doing bad.

Chems
10th Mar 2007, 22:06
Well lets hope so. I did happen to see a fairly recent response from only last month that said "even in this fairly healthy airline industry" which I think was reffering to how much better it has become in the last few years. But it went on to say "competition is still stiff" which isnt so bad competition at least leaves everyone on a level playing field.

Deano777
10th Mar 2007, 22:38
It's only a level playing field if you do nothing to make yourself stand out above the rest of the 1300 or so fATPLers looking for work, what's the old saying? A Peacock sitting on his feathers still makes him a Turkey :ok:

Chems
11th Mar 2007, 12:48
Good point, nice to see some postive encouragment for a change!

BitMoreRightRudder
11th Mar 2007, 20:56
I think most if not all the information in the sticky at the top of the page is still relevant Chems. The threads within it offer advice, guidance and some informed opinion on areas of commercial flying that are always relevant to anyone considering a career in aviation. The 'Do you really want to do this' thread that you refer to is a few years old now but it has more to do with the disaffection of those who, for whatever reason, have grown tired of the reality of modern airline flying. The sentiments within it are still worthy of consideration.

I get the feeling you are reading the sticky thread (which I applaud by the way, most people just ignore it) and are a bit concerned by the focus on some of the more negative sides of the industry. The point of the sticky is to remove the rose-tinted specs that many people are wearing when they commit to spending money they don't have on their training, believing the industry to be something it isn't.

As far as job opportunities go, at the moment things are as good as they have been for a long time. But the industry is cyclical and history suggests bad times will return at some point in the future. And therein lies the reason for the cautionary note of much of what you will read on here.

Good luck though!;)

Chems
11th Mar 2007, 23:06
Yes the stickys are hugely informative, I think I’ve read through at least 70% of them which is good going considering some of them are 60+ pages.

I think its wise to be realistic about things, nothing in life is as rosy as it seems, but a lot of the negativity seems to be almost crushing. Its nice to see the odd I love my job post. Most things in life are what you make of it, and these people who are so disaffected, I can only imagine they went in with these Rosy Specs you speak of and are disappointed.

But I think just a note of what you’ve said there would be appropriate on the stickys, "As far as job opportunities go, at the moment things are as good as they have been for a long time," just to give them a bit of a real time update.

Wee Weasley Welshman
11th Mar 2007, 23:41
Some of the stickys are getting old. Things were quite negative just a few years ago. They will be again.

I'd rather emphasise the downsides and hassle than give the impression there are jobs aplenty and things are rosy. Even though that is currently the case.

Cheers

scroggs
12th Mar 2007, 08:54
Most of the threads linked to in the sticky post are still open, and people are free to add to them. If people have chosen not to do so, it's because they feel they have nothing to add - simple, really!

I asume you're referring to, in particular, threads such as 'Do you really want to do this? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120500)', which was begun quite a while back. You should understand this: the frustrations and disappointments described in that thread are as real now as they were then. In some airlines, they may be even worse than they were then. Anything that alerts you to the fact that there is almost no sweetness and light in the process of obtaining and maintaining a job in the aviation industry is worth hanging on to. The few who go through their training and career without experiencing these frustrations are either extremely lucky or blind - or both!

Your friend who is a Virgin pilot hasn't had the experience of trying to get into this industry any time in the recent past, nor, I suspect, does he frequently fraternise with those who are. the fact that BA may once again be recruiting does nopt mean that there are jobs for all. Even now, about 50% of those who enter ATPL training will never get a job in the aviation industry - but many of those will drop out along the way, and will never complete the licence. Something like 10% to 15% (maybe more) of those who go all the way to a SSTR won't get a job either.

Scroggs

q168
12th Mar 2007, 12:01
yse,some is getting old,change is needed.to be good.

Chems
12th Mar 2007, 12:59
I dont think the stickies need to be changed, as I agree its right to give people a realstic view. But just a note, this thread itself really is all thats needed to make people aware that things have got a little bit better but it certaintly isnt "'Hey I have my ATPL'...'Ok heres a job!'"

"Your friend who is a Virgin pilot hasn't had the experience of trying to get into this industry any time in the recent past, nor, I suspect, does he frequently fraternise with those who are."

Since reading PPRune Ive realised he must be lucky, hes 40+ and went into the industry post 9/11 he was a Squadron Leader of Lynx's in the army and I guess hes one of these peoples whos personality did the best for him. He started with BMI, then just as he made captain he got word that something was happening in BIM and managed to jump ship to Virgin. I think hes been pretty lucky all round.

I think the idea that you will join this industry and everything will be fantastic is very niéve, but people have said "Go be a lawyer were the real money is" my sister is a lawyer, and whilst training she got paid next to nothing, the work is hard, she works long hours, and the worst part for me, shes stuck behind a desk all day long, its an industry full of crusty old men. My dads an MD for the NHS, and Im pretty sure he hates his job even though it pays well.

At the end of the day anything worth having never came easy. And I bet even the worse days in aviation career can be made to look fantastic compared to the working days of some of the people "down in the rat race."

@Scroggs, Hope Im not giving out the wrong idea, this forum is a gold mine of information and a big thanks to you for getting it all organized!