PDA

View Full Version : Can I find out whether my pc is running correctly?

Captain Lampshade
9th Mar 2007, 15:34
I have been experiencing problems with my home pc over the last few weeks, so much so that I have had to restore back to factory settings (with the help of maunfacturers helpline)

This seems to have cleared the original problem that I have although I now have a seperate one when I try to sync my MP3 player using windows media player 10 - it immediately causes an error and throws me out.

Bearing in mind the above I am still not entirely convinced that my machine is working correctly, is there any way I can check this and what should I be looking for?. I am still just in the gaurantee so if there is a problem would like resolve soon. Running XP:confused:

Cypherus
9th Mar 2007, 19:17
Bit of an oddity this one in that you say your computer may not be working correctly, yet specify that the remaining problem is with syncronizing between an MP3 Player and WMP10.

To begin with I suspect that if you ran the reload through your suppliers help line they would advise you on the best way to get your computer up and running correctly, so in essence your computer is working just fine and the current problem may not be Hardware related at all, just a simple software problem or an incompatibility between your MP3 and WMP in that the file has a quality level that the MP3 does not support, along with a host of other causes from protected content to licence issues, other than this unless you can be a little more specific on the fault and any messages it throws up little can be achieved here.

Tarq57
10th Mar 2007, 02:36
I've recently installed an MP3 player (Samsung) on my PC, with no problem at all, apart from having to upgrade to WMP10.
What sort of player? Have you installed the software (if any) for same?
As aid above error messages may assist.
Last but not least, what was the nature of the problem that necessitated a (re-install, I presume?) or factory restore?

born2fly_au
10th Mar 2007, 18:30
Can you please supply more detail. Make and model of computer. Is the problem only related to music files? It is a bit hard to help with the limit information you supplied. did you install and new software prior to the problems starting to occur? Are you getting any error or warning messages? Anything that could help us get to the heart of the problem.
Allen

Captain Lampshade
11th Mar 2007, 20:17
Probably best to start at the beginning.

I have a Packard Bell machine. The problems started when my lexmark photo printer hung. Even after restarting the photo menu appeared. As a result I uninstalled, the problem was it didnt unistall completely, I tried a system restore this didnt work and so I tried again, unfortunately now the system restore could complete and I could install or reinstall any programmes. Eventaully I established contact with Packard Bell support (the system is only 11 months old) and they advised a partial recovery which couldnt be completed and then a full recovery back to factory settings. This seems to have worked although I am still not 100% sure that the system is working correctly. The only problem I know about is that when I try to sync my MP3 using windows media 10 I now cannot, I get an eror message that says the device needs to be upgraded, (I didnt get that prior to recovery). Samsung seem to suggest that is a media player player problem and I should uninstall however, I cannot find the programme in my control panel although I am able to play video downloads and music from my library using media player.

Does this help?

born2fly_au
11th Mar 2007, 23:01
It sounds like you media player may have been upgraded at some stage via Windows Updates between when the system restore was created and the time of your problem. When you did the restore back to default factory setting you have lost your windows updates. Go into Windows updates and do a Custom upgrade and see if there are any software upgrades available. Windows Media Player 11 is now available. It is also available from Microsofts website as a seperate download. Also apply an other updates that are available as well. hopefully that may fix the problem. also if you are reinstalling your LEXMARK PRINTER go to their website and GET THE LATEST PRINTER DRIVERS This may help sort out your original problem.
Allen

Tarq57
11th Mar 2007, 23:48
I think Born2fly has got the right approach. There will probably be heaps of updates, many described as critical or security updates.
My preference would be to stick with WMP10 and see if everything works after the updates. It should. You can "upgrade" to WMP11 if you choose..but it should work with 10 and I would check that first.
I have read on some other forums about some folk being a bit unhappy with 11, from a DRM and complexity of use standpoint.

Captain Lampshade
12th Mar 2007, 09:49
Thank you for your replies. I will certainly try the updates route. It's a bit like losing my right arm.

Watch this space