PDA

View Full Version : Blood Platelet Count? Diet and Class 1 Medical

g1344304
9th Mar 2007, 12:19
I am currently a student graduating in June and I am in the midst of applying to several FTOs and I have yet to book my class one medical. Last year as I needed a bit of extra cash I put my self up for medical testing at a local medical research facility (yeh yeh I know its dodgy but ive done it before). Anyway I failed to get in because my blood platelet count was too low. It was borderline but just enough to keep me off the medical trial. Will this type of thing come up on the class one medical? If so how can I rectify the platelet count?

My diet may be a cause for concern, I rarely eat veg, have a lot of takeaways, frozen pizzas, and mainly other frozen food like potatoe waffles, fish fingers etc, typical student.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TelBoy
9th Mar 2007, 14:48
I'm not an expert, but I would say get your diet sorted out. Enjoy a varity of different foods you would not of otherwise thought about. Plenty of fresh veg and fruit, a bit less alcohol (if you do - student!!) and give up the fags (again if you do) add some excersise and after about a month go and see your GP. He will give you an mot and set you up for your class 1.

All the best and happy flying

Flyin'Dutch'
10th Mar 2007, 00:43
1. Improve diet otherwise you will not get to enjoy your pension.

2. If worried talk to your GP about your platelets but unlikely to be a problem you can check with your GP if they have been made aware of the findings of the medical you had last year.

3. AIUI the blood taken during a class 1 medical is only for a cholesterol and haemoglobin (red blood cell) estimation not platelets.

g1344304
10th Mar 2007, 08:39
Thanks for the replies guys. Its hard to keep a good diet being a student in a house with 5 other guys and the worst kitchen in imagination. Im sure my diet will improve when I start a career, have some decent cooking equipment and a beautiful wife to use it. (LOL!! ONLY JOKING ABOUT THE WIFE!!!)

Flyin'Dutch'
10th Mar 2007, 10:04
(LOL!! ONLY JOKING ABOUT THE WIFE!!!)

What!?!

You mean you are going to get an ugly one?

:}

g1344304
10th Mar 2007, 11:25
HAHA,

nope i got a beautiful girlfirend and fingers crossed she will maybe be my wife in a few years. She eats very healthy too so I guess that would mean I have to eat healthy if we end up together!

HUD Cripple
11th Mar 2007, 10:17
How low is it? Normal is 150-400. If your count is > 80 you can have open heart surgery with no problems. However AVMED is a little different.

I have a low platelet count (thrombocytopenia ~100+) but currently hold a class 1 in Australia albeit I don't exercise it as I'm still in the military and they have no issues with it.

Initially I had a condition on my class 1 stating that I needed to see an AVMED Dr if my count went below 90 or I recommenced steroid treatment.

If your count is low you may be offered a: splenectemy (remove your spleen!). Obviously avoid this if possible but there are guys around who are flying without a spleen. Having said that they were already qualified and employed when this happened.

If your low platelet count is immune related a possible treatment is a blood product called INTRAGAM, a product that I believe is plasma from 100-1000's of donors with healthy immune systems. It's available from the RED CROSS (for free in Australia). This fixed me. When I was diagnosed my count was 7...

The other method to suppress an over active immune system is to take steroids. I couldn't fly while on these and I didn't like the side effects either.

Importantly, the last two treatments I mentioned are only for Immune Thrombocytopenia Purpura (ITP). Look it up on Google if you want to know more. Yours may not be related to your immune system. Your haemotologist should tell you what sort of thrombocytopenia you have,

The other replies you have are good advice re diet. I hope this helps. Good luck. HUD Criplple.

g1344304
11th Mar 2007, 21:04
wow thats great advice HUD Cripple. I dont think it is as serios as this but if it is your information will come in very useful! I have doing one medical research test before (about 3 years ago) and had nothing wrong then. I dont know the value of the count when I got tested last summer but they did say it was borderline but just not enough for that test They didnt mention any health risks or give advice. I think I will go ahead with my JAA medical soon and hope for the best. I have been to my GP recently and he checked me out physically and I seem to be fine in all areas but I am trying to improve my diet. Thanks!