PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii tour helicopter crash kills 4 (now incl photographs)

Aser
9th Mar 2007, 10:54
http://www.mercurynews.com/nationworld/ci_5389743
PRINCEVILLE, Hawaii- A tour helicopter crashed at an airport on the island of Kauai on Thursday, killing four people, including the pilot, and critically injuring three, officials said.
The crash occurred at Princeville Airport mid-afternoon, shortly after a Heli-USA Airways helicopter pilot radioed that he was having hydraulic problems, according to a statement from Kauai Fire Chief Robert Westerman.
Nigel Turner, CEO of Las Vegas-based Heli-USA, said the aircraft was at the end of its tour and minutes from its scheduled landing when it crashed.
"We are in the process of notifying the families of those individuals involved and our sincere condolences goes out at this time," he said. "We are working with authorities to find out exactly what happened."
Of the two men and two women who died, three were killed in the crash and one died while being taken to a hospital, Kauai County spokeswoman Mary Daubert said.
The pilot, who was not identified, had more than 10,000 hours flying an A-Star, the type of helicopter that crashed, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor said.
The crash comes one month after the Federal Aviation Administration announced new safety standards for air tour companies that operate at many vacation spots nationwide and for pilots who offer rides at air shows. The safety rule does not take effect until August.
The FAA promised to closely monitor deaths and other accidents involving air tours after looking into 107 accidents that killed 98 people from 1988 to 1995.
Five people were killed in 2004 when a helicopter operated by Bali Hai Helicopter Tours Inc. crashed into a mountain on Kauai. And three passengers drowned in 2005 after a Heli-USA helicopter plunged into the Pacific Ocean off Kauai.
Turner defended the safety of his helicopters. The company has a fleet of six in Hawaii, and also flies in Nevada.
"The company has flown over a million passengers. This is our second accident in a million people," he said, adding that he would not hesitate to put his own family in his helicopters.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site333/2007/0308/20070308__HelicopterCrash~p1_200.jpg
Astar&Hyd. :(

Fun Police
9th Mar 2007, 11:45
very sad.
what are the new safety standards being introduced by the FAA?

andTompkins
9th Mar 2007, 14:09
My condolences to the families of those lost.

Can anyone detail the nature of what happens to an A-Star with hydraulic problems. I know this isn't the first we've heard of this on the A-Star line, but was wondering what some of the causes have been in the past. I don't want to get into speculation on this accident ... maybe time for a new thread?

cptjim
9th Mar 2007, 14:41
My condolences to all the family and friends of those involed.

Rest in peace

ToTall
9th Mar 2007, 16:42
My condolences to all the family and friends of those involed and may they rest in peace.

reggie
9th Mar 2007, 18:44
I was in Princeville last week and took an island tour with them. Their operation was extremely professional, well run and very safety oriented. We had a full load of passengers from Canada. Our pilot was either German or Dutch, very capable, experienced and safe. He mentioned that Heli USA flew at higher altitudes than some of the other operators on Kauai because of safety concerns in the event of an emergency landing situation. They had at least three helicopters there in Princeville, one in mx, undergoing what appeared to be a 'D' check, one parked on the ramp, and the one we were flying. I am not sure how a hydraulic failure affects an emergency landing/auto-rotation, but noticed that the pilot had the presence of mind to deploy and inflate the skid floats to try and cushion the landing. It was obviously not enough. To all of the passengers aboard and their families, to the pilot and his family, and to all of the fine employees at Heli USA, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

007helicopter
9th Mar 2007, 19:11
very sad & tragic, rip

joes web site http://www.helicopterjoe.com/

3top
10th Mar 2007, 16:05
Where can I find any more details about this accident?
Any official statements yet?

Condolences to all the families,

3top

cl12pv2s
11th Mar 2007, 04:34
A summary of the new regulations (effective on 15 Mar 2007) which are designed to prevent this sort of thing, can be found at this location:
http://www.asa2fly.com/AB2012000Store/files/updates/FARFC_Update2007.pdf

It is Part 136 changes.
I have listed the main changes petaining to Hawaii. There are others though.

cl12pv2s

Add new Appendix A to Part 136 as follows:
Appendix A to Part 136—Special Operating Rules for
Air Tour Operators in the State of Hawaii
Section 1. Applicability.
This appendix prescribes operating
rules for airplane and helicopter visual flight rules air tour flights
conducted in the State of Hawaii under 14 CFR parts 91, 121, and
135. This appendix does not apply to:
(a) Operations conducted under 14 CFR part 121 in airplanes
with a passenger seating configuration of more than 30 seats or a
payload capacity of more than 7,500 pounds.
(b) Flights conducted in gliders or hot air balloons.
Section 2. Definitions.
For the purposes of this appendix:

Air tour
” means any sightseeing flight conducted under visual
flight rules in an airplane or helicopter for compensation or hire.

Air tour operator
” means any person who conducts an air
tour.
Section 3. Helicopter flotation equipment.
No person may
conduct an air tour in Hawaii in a single-engine helicopter beyond
the shore of any island, regardless of whether the helicopter is
within gliding distance of the shore, unless:
(a) The helicopter is amphibious or is equipped with floats adequate
to accomplish a safe emergency ditching and approved flotation
gear is easily accessible for each occupant; or
(b) Each person on board the helicopter is wearing approved
flotation gear.
Section 4. Helicopter performance plan.
Each operator must
complete a performance plan before each helicopter air tour flight.
The performance plan must be based on the information in the
Rotorcraft Flight Manual (RFM), considering the maximum density
altitude for which the operation is planned for the flight to determine
the following:
(a) Maximum gross weight and center of gravity (CG) limitations
for hovering in ground effect;
(b) Maximum gross weight and CG limitations for hovering out
of ground effect; and,
(c) Maximum combination of weight, altitude, and temperature
for which height-velocity information in the RFM is valid.
The pilot in command (PIC) must comply with the performance
plan.
Section 5. Helicopter Operating Limitations.
Except for
approach to and transition from a hover, and except for the purpose
of takeoff and landing, the PIC shall operate the helicopter at
a combination of height and forward speed (including hover) that
would permit a safe landing in event of engine power loss, in
accordance with the height-speed envelope for that helicopter
under current weight and aircraft altitude.
Section 6. Minimum flight altitudes.
Except when necessary
for takeoff and landing, or operating in compliance with an air traf-
fic control clearance, or as otherwise authorized by the Administrator,
no person may conduct an air tour in Hawaii:
(a) Below an altitude of 1,500 feet above the surface over all
areas of the State of Hawaii, and,
(b) Closer than 1,500 feet to any person or property; or,
(c) Below any altitude prescribed by federal statute or regulation.
Section 7. Passenger briefing.
Before takeoff, each PIC of an
air tour flight of Hawaii with a flight segment beyond the ocean
shore of any island shall ensure that each passenger has been
briefed on the following, in addition to requirements set forth in 14
CFR 91.107, 121.571, or 135.117:
(a) Water ditching procedures;
(b) Use of required flotation equipment; and
(c) Emergency egress from the aircraft in event of a water landing.
[Docket No. FAA–1998–4521, 72 FR 6914, Feb. 13, 2007]

spinwing
11th Mar 2007, 08:07
Mmmmm.....

And all the above stops the aircraft from suffering a hydraulics failure HOW?

:sad:

Aser
11th Mar 2007, 11:15
About the pilot:
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070309/NEWS01/703090347/1001/NEWS
R.I.P. :(

B Sousa
11th Mar 2007, 14:51
"A summary of the new regulations (effective on 15 Mar 2007) which are designed to prevent this sort of thing, can be found "

Get Real. Since when can you regulate a mechanical failure. You must be a desk Jockey.

MSP Aviation
11th Mar 2007, 14:56
Wonder if the three survivors were further injured when they were heroically dragged from their seats. Of course, if there was leaking fuel, it was probably the right thing to do.

B Sousa
11th Mar 2007, 16:34
"Wonder if the three survivors were further injured when they were heroically dragged from their seats."

Is that a question from a "Government Issued Pilot"/"Government Issued EMT"?? It has the sound of taxpayer funded jealousy......versus "Corporate Funded Medical Assistance". One with Territory/Empire in mind, the other with $$$$ in the sights.

thecontroller
16th Mar 2007, 08:33
i have two detailed pictures of this crash. no gore. just a close up of the front of the helicopter.

is it appropriate to post them here?

moderator can you advise?

spinwing
16th Mar 2007, 08:56
I don't think any pictures of this aircraft crash would be appropriate ....

It would serve no purpose at all ..... perhaps we should let this incident rest untill the NTSB has made their detailed investigation public.

:= :*

outofwhack
17th Mar 2007, 02:21
I think pictures (minus the gore) are quite appropriate. At very least it might make more of us go out and buy a helmet and this response to the pictures can save lives.
Why keep our heads in the sands over the dangers of what we do. Hell! - this helicopter looks like all it had was a very heavy landing.

Please post the photos, the sooner the better. OOW

B Sousa
17th Mar 2007, 03:01
By the time the FAA or NTSB comes out with an answer we will all be retired. Posting in good taste may give others some clue what happened and some ideas how not to do it again.
For the freeks who want gore, go to some other site.

TheMonk
18th Mar 2007, 00:18
BSousa wrote:By the time the FAA or NTSB comes out with an answer we will all be retired. Posting in good taste may give others some clue what happened and some ideas how not to do it again.
For the freeks who want gore, go to some other site.
I agree.

MSP Aviation
18th Mar 2007, 15:49
Nope Sousa, not jealousy. It's just that had EMTs/Fire been there they would've spent ages stabilising the passengers before moving them. I wasn't trying to prove a point, simply thinking out loud. "I wonder" meant exactly that, not "hey everybody, read the following!"

Devil 49
18th Mar 2007, 15:54
Any way we can learn something from an accident is a good thing.
Speculation that promotes a discussion and the sharing of knowledge is a good thing.
I fly an Astar, thousands of hours in the airframe, and I'm a VietNam vet- the accident pilot and I have too much in common for me to take this one lightly.
Post the photos, but no gore.
Anybody heard the rumor of a video showing a sudden roll and pitchdown to impact?

thecontroller
18th Mar 2007, 16:10
ok, here they are.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u299/the_controller/astarcrashhawaii2.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u299/the_controller/astarcrashhawaii1.jpg

B Sousa
18th Mar 2007, 16:34
WOW, thats some photo and it explains a lot regarding the fatalities.

"It's just that had EMTs/Fire been there they would've spent ages stabilising the passengers before moving them"
OK MSP, makes more sense. Unfortunately based on the "Urgency of the Emergency" some people do end up with further injuries during an extraction. Its either that or die in some cases.
The photo above leads me to think that those in front received some severe injuries and if alive they may fall into that category. Im not a doctor nor an EMT . From experience I do know that most EMTs have certain procedures or protocols they are trained to provide which in many cases does require time. One would have to weigh the difference in time to "if they didnt do it" would they make it to the hospital.

No doubt the buzzards are climbing the fence with mountains of Law Books. Just about everyone within a mile of that place will be in court eventually.

Hughesy
18th Mar 2007, 21:35
Wow, From the other photos the machine didnt look to bad. But those photos bring new light to the accident.
Allthough its interesting to see them, also sad also to see the impact damage.
Thanks for posting them.
Condolences to the pilots and all familys.

Hughesy

slowrotor
18th Mar 2007, 22:15
Wow indeed. Very sad.
Is that blade strike damage to the cockpit?
Are there methods to prevent blade strike if a crash is unavoidable?

Assuming the pilot has some control left, this pilot may not have had much control.

Gomer Pylot
18th Mar 2007, 23:53
The hydraulics on and AStar are run by a rubber band, which breaks every now and then. It's a known weak point. There have been several fatal accidents caused by hydraulic failure in this model. Back when I flew the D model, in the 80s, we used to do practice hydraulics off approaches to a hover, and then landing. It can be done if you pay attention and do everything slowly. Whether the newer models fly the same I can't say, but given the number of hydraulics failures that still occur, practicing hydraulics off maneuvers would seem to be prudent.

B Sousa
19th Mar 2007, 02:23
Gomer Im sure your right but as I understand it from this another one from the same barn, both were hydraulic failures with extremely good and experienced pilots. Towards the landing phase both for some reason tucked nose first. The other was injuries only and landed flat so hard the starflex was shattered along with the skids. but landed upright thus survivabilty was not as much of a factor as this one. There are other stories out there which lead ME to believe that proficiency may be good during hydraulics off, but every so often theres a Hiccup with sad results.

outofwhack
19th Mar 2007, 11:56
Is an "A-star" an early Squirrel? If so, are the mechanics the same on the B3? I am unfamiliar with both types being just a relatively inexperienced piston guy at present. Also, with regard to hyd. failure practise is it always safer to plan a 'run on landing' after hydraulic failure rather than come to a hover in all types?

hostile
19th Mar 2007, 13:29
As it says in As350 FM (40 to 60 kt with every model) it is saver and following the right procedures. It is also important to cut off the whole HYD system from the HYD cut off pushputton located in collective pitch.

Hostile.

Gomer Pylot
19th Mar 2007, 13:41
Outofwhack, the AS350D Astar was an early model, with a Lycoming LTS101 engine which had a tendency to come apart every now and then. AFAIK the hydraulics are the same in all models, but there are other differences which might make some of the handling characteristics different. It is certainly safer to make a running landing with hydraulics failure, but sometimes you may be operating where that won't be an option, if there isn't enough fuel to reach an airport or even the beach, so you may be forced to land offshore, where a running landing isn't possible. There aren't that many AS350s still operating in the GOM, certainly no D models that I'm aware of. I know of at least one fatal accident following a hydraulics failure offshore, where the aircraft hit the side of the platform while apparently attempting a landing. That rubber band certainly needs a redesign.

Devil 49
19th Mar 2007, 14:22
The crash aircraft appears to be an AS350BA or B1. The difference between these models and a B3 is engine power, and some strategic structural reinforcement. This aircraft model's hydraulics-off performance becomes more difficult as weight increases in an aircraft, and especially as each model's lift power increased, thus the load compensating hydraulic assembly in the TR mechanism of the B2 and later.
The original AS350 had symmetrical airfoil blades, the "blue" blades. The "gray" blades visible in the photo are asymmetric airfoil, a further issue with the hydraulics. I've never had a jackstall with blue blades.

Heli-kiwi
20th Mar 2007, 20:37
The AStar is a great machine but over the years there have been numerous Hyd failures and jackstalls which put those onboard in grave danger.
I saw the chilling video of the ENG Astar that appeared to have a major loss of control and ended up crashing into a building.
As an up and coming Pilot/Engineer it makes me a little bit nervous to know that loss of hyds could be the end. How many other light/medium helis are completely uncontrollable at low speeds/hovering when this sort of thing occurs? :sad:

Aser
20th Mar 2007, 21:10
Airworthiness Directives; Eurocopter France Model AS350B, AS350B1, AS350B2, AS350B3, AS350BA, AS350C, AS350D, and AS350D1 Helicopters
Monday, March 19, 2007 / FAA
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/0/508e2639afc62463862572a300484def/$FILE/2007-06-15.pdf
SUMMARY: This amendment adopts a new airworthiness directive (AD) for the specified Eurocopter France (Eurocopter) model helicopters that requires replacing a certain hydraulic drive belt (drive belt). Also required is reducing the lubrication time interval for a certain hydraulic pump drive shaft (drive shaft). This amendment is prompted by in-flight failures of the drive belt and the drive shaft. The actions specified by this AD are intended to prevent in-flight failure of the drive belt or drive shaft, loss of hydraulic power to the flight control system, and subsequent loss of control of the helicopter.
:rolleyes:

widgeon
20th Mar 2007, 21:38
the bo105 is not controllable without hydraulics which is why it has full duplex system. Is the 500 ?.

movin' up
20th Mar 2007, 21:59
Widgeon

The 500 is able to retain full control authority without hydraulics.

Why?

It doesn't have any!;)

spinwing
21st Mar 2007, 08:47
Mmmm....

Well it does actually ...... there is a "unilock" device which is really just a Hydraulic damper in the cyclic fore & aft control run!

Cheers :E

rotorspin
21st Mar 2007, 15:52
do the 355's have the same design issue?

Fun Police
21st Mar 2007, 16:28
355's have dual hydraulic systems powered through a gear driven pump(s).

thecontroller
23rd Mar 2007, 19:11
latest news is here (http://kgmb9.com/kgmb/display.cfm?storyID=10903&sid=1183)

mickjoebill
23rd Mar 2007, 20:07
This sad accident prompts the question, what would you do if 1st on scene and passengers are still strapped in and unable to help themselves?

What percentage of aircraft accidents that are survivable, involve fuel spillage that does not ignite?

Smell no fuel + see no fuel = leave victims be?

Mickjoebill

Gordy
23rd Mar 2007, 21:14
Read the paragraphs near the end I put in red..........
The FAA released an Airworthiness Bulletin Today:
here (http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/safety/alerts/saib/media/SW-07-22.pdf)
NTSB Identification: NYC07MA073
Nonscheduled 14 CFR Part 135: Air Taxi & Commuter
Accident occurred Thursday, March 08, 2007 in Princeville, HI
Aircraft: Aerospatiale AS350BA, registration: N354NT
Injuries: 4 Fatal, 3 Serious.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.
On March 8, 2007, at 1502 Hawaii standard time, an Aerospatiale AS350BA helicopter, N354NT, operated by Heli-USA Airways, Inc., was substantially damaged when it collided with terrain following a loss of control while landing at the Princeville Airport (HI01), Princeville, Hawaii. The certificated airline transport pilot and three passengers were fatally injured, and three passengers were seriously injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the local air tour flight that departed the Princeville Airport about 1415, and was conducted under 14 CFR Part 135.
According to the company dispatcher, the helicopter departed for a 45-minute sightseeing flight. When the pilot contacted the company base by radio about 1455, the dispatcher anticipated a routine radio call announcing his return. Instead, the pilot announced, "I'm having hydraulic problems, and I'm probably going to have to do a run-on landing." The dispatcher took her hand-held radio, ran to the hangar area, and notified the base operator and the maintenance supervisor of the pilot's intentions. She stated that as the conversation with the pilot continued, the language he used to describe his situation changed from "hydraulic problem" to "hydraulic failure." She continued to monitor the frequency as the helicopter neared the airport. As the helicopter approached the ground, she heard the pilot state, "Okay we're done." Then, the sound of the rotor changed pitch and the helicopter impacted the ground.
In interviews, several employees of the company explained how they prepared for the helicopter's arrival and heardit approaching. Some of the employees saw the helicopter "low" over the approach end of the runway, as they stood at base operations near the departure end. The helicopter then disappeared from their view, and shortly thereafter, they heard the sounds of impact.
Another witness, who worked at the terminal building at the center of the airport and had an unobstructed view of the helicopter through her office window, watched the helicopter approach. She noticed that the helicopter was not approaching the runway faster than usual, but it was flying lower than usual. The helicopter slowed over the runway at less than 10 feet above the ground, then turned slowly towards the grassy area on the left side of the runway. The witness wondered what the helicopter was doing, because the helicopter was moving slowly in a level attitude seeming as though it would land in the grass. Then, "...all of a sudden, the nose went down and [the helicopter] hit the ground." She described the entire series of events as happening "slowly." When asked about the landing gear floats, the witness stated that they were not deployed prior to the accident.
The accident occurred during the hours of daylight approximately 22 degrees, 12 minutes north latitude, and 159 degrees, 26 minutes west longitude.
The pilot held an airline transport pilot certificate with a rating for rotorcraft-helicopter, and a flight instructor certificate with a rating for rotorcraft-helicopter. The pilot had accrued 10,471 total hours of flight experience, with 3,500 hours in make and model. His most recent Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) second-class medical certificate was issued in January, 2007.
The pilot's most recent Airman Competency/Proficiency Check was successfully completed on February 25, 2007. The pilot was also a company check airman per Special Federal Aviation Regulation 71, "Special Operating Rules for Air Tour Operations in the State of Hawaii."
The helicopter was manufactured in 1979, and had accrued 21,700 total hours of operation. The most recent 100-hour inspection was completed on February 22, 2007, at 21,642 hours. An engine change was performed on February 28, 2007, at 21,665 aircraft hours.
At 1453, the weather reported at the Lihue International Airport, Lihue, Hawaii, 16 miles southeast, included scattered clouds at 5,500 feet, and winds from 050 degrees at 13 knots. The temperature was 75 degrees Fahrenheit, and the dew point was 54 degrees Fahrenheit.
The helicopter was examined at the site on March 10, 2007, and all major components were accounted for at the scene. The helicopter came to rest on its landing gear with the landing gear floats deployed, and fully inflated. The helicopter came to rest on the sod on the left side of runway 05, 1,657 feet beyond the approach end of the runway, and 105 feet left of centerline. A ground scar marked the start of the wreckage path 1,433 feet beyond the departure end of the runway, and 72 feet left of centerline. The wreckage path was 33 feet long, oriented about 348 degrees magnetic, and ended at the final resting site of the helicopter wreckage.
The helicopter came to rest facing 168 degrees magnetic, nearly opposite the direction of travel of its approach to the airport. The nose, instrument panel, cockpit, and the cabin area forward of the rear seats were destroyed by impact, and fragments of composite materials were scattered in a wide arc around the wreckage. The center section of the fuselage was largely intact, with the main transmission and engine were in their respective locations.
The tailboom was partially attached to the fuselage via sheet metal, wires, and control cables. The remainder of the tailboom, the horizontal stabilizers, and the upper section of the vertical fin were intact. The lower section of the vertical fin and the tailskid were bent and wrinkled. Tail rotor control and drive train continuity were confirmed from where the tailboom partially separated from the fuselage back to the tail rotor. The tail rotor, tail rotor controls, tail rotor driveshaft, and tail rotor gearbox were all intact. The skin on the tail rotor paddles displayed rotational scoring near their tips.
Examination of the engine and transmission areas revealed no evidence of a preimpact fire, structural failure, fuel leak or oil leak. The engine mounts were slightly twisted, but the engine and main transmission remained in their mounts and connected by the main driveshaft. The main rotor drive shaft was ruptured approximately 3 inches from the power off-take of the transmission shaft. Both ends of the rupture exhibited torsion load deformation.
Examination of the engine revealed that the axial compressor wheel rotated freely, the wheel and blades were intact, and there were no signs of blade rub or rotational scarring. The power turbine wheel rotated freely, the power turbine wheel and blades were intact, and there were no signs of blade rub or rotational scarring. The short shaft was found separated from the reduction gearbox and exhibited signs of rotational scarring. The flexible coupling and triangular flange exhibited torsion load deformation.
The red, yellow and blue main rotor blades remained attached to the hub. The main rotor blade spars were bent and twisted, but complete to the tips. The core and skin material outboard of the first one-third of each blade was fractured and scattered around. The blue sleeve and star arm were fractured. The red star arm was fractured, but the sleeve remained attached. The yellow sleeve and star arm were intact. All three main rotor pitch change links remained attached, with the red link slightly bent.
Control continuity could not be established from the cockpit aft to the mixing unit due to impact damage and crush deformation of the airframe. Control continuity was established from the mixing unit to the flight control servos. The swashplate, scissors, and sleeve assemblies were all intact.
The hydraulic reservoir was full, but the sight glass was fractured and seeping. The hydraulic pump was intact, with the drivebelt attached. The lateral and fore and aft servos, and their respective accumulators and electro-valves were intact. The flight control servos were all attached at the non-rotating swashplate. The fore-and-aft servo, and the right lateral servo were attached to the transmission.
Further examination revealed that the lower clevis of the left lateral servo was still attached to the transmission case, but was no longer attached to the servo. Closer examination revealed that the threads on the clevis, as well as the threads on the inner diameter of the servo, appeared undamaged. The jam nut, the lock nut, and the safety wire were still attached to the clevis threads, and free to rotate. The clevis was then removed from the transmission case, and forwarded, along with its associated servo, for further examination.
The hydraulic pump and drive assembly were removed as a unit. The pump, the lateral and fore and aft servos, their respective accumulators and electro-valves, the hydraulic distribution manifold, the tail rotor servo, as well as the hydraulic pump drive belt were all removed and forwarded to the Safety Board Materials Laboratory in Washington, D.C. for further examination.

JimEli
26th Mar 2007, 16:59
This was a very tragic and unfortunate situation all around. Assuming the preliminary findings are accurate, indications are that this crash wasn’t hydraulic related, however, my guess is, it probably appeared to the pilot as a hydraulic problem or servo jam type situation (pick one). Any thoughts? How much controllability would be lost in the affected axis?

The FAA issued an SAIB which refers to another related accident, does anyone have information on this?

Ian Corrigible
26th Mar 2007, 17:28
The FAA issued an SAIB which refers to another related accident, does anyone have information on this?
I understand that the reference to two incidents was erroneous, so expect to see an amended SAIB appear.

I/C

Brian Abraham
26th Mar 2007, 23:26
Read somewhere yesterday the accident was caused by a pitch change rod to the head came adrift. Looked for the reference just now but unable to remember exactly where.

Edited as found the reference from Avweb

The NTSB says one end of a rotor servo control rod was found disconnected on an A350 helicopter that crashed on the Hawaiian island of Kauai earlier this month, killing four of seven people aboard. On Thursday, the FAA issued a special airworthiness information bulletin (SAIB) and Eurocopter e-mailed customers warning A350 operators that a serrated washer on the servo rod-end could fail, resulting in disconnection of the rod from the rotor assembly, and recommended immediate inspection of those parts. The A350 has three such assemblies to control rotor tilt. The SAIB issued by the FAA says two crashes have been caused by the washer failure, but spokesman Ian Gregor said those crashes occurred before the Hawaii accident and the bulletin was already in the works when the Heli-USA helicopter crashed on landing at Princeville Airport on March 8. Pilot Joe Sulak and three passengers died in the crash. Before the accident Sulak radioed that he was having “hydraulic problems.” Investigators later found the detached servo rod and sent those parts for more detailed inspection. The washer identified in the FAA and Eurocopter bulletins has a tang that is supposed to lock in the threads of the rod end to prevent the bolt from unscrewing. In the previous crashes, the tang was missing or worn and allowed the nut securing the rod to the rotor assembly to come off.

serf
27th Mar 2007, 07:35
7 casualties, is this not a six seat aircraft?

widgeon
27th Mar 2007, 11:39
there are several approved mods that add a two place "love seat" for the fwd passengers

Devil 49
30th Mar 2007, 21:56
Just a pilot, but read the SB- basically requires inspection of the jam nut and lock-washer at the bottom of the servo rod. Should be safety-wired and have slippage paint mark.
Looking that servo during the preflight this morning was chilling. *IF* that lock-washer/jam nut weren't secure, the servo extension rod could twist, back off, and finally disconnect. It seems that this very event has occurred previous to this crash. If that happened, you'd lose the load-damping effect of the servo, the controls would have an extra hinge between the push/pull tube bell crank (or Richard cable end?) and the point where the servo housing attaches to the stationary star. The lower servo mount aligns the servo and all control input are thus restrained and aligned in the vertical. I'd guess (I'm only a pilot) that the effect of the mount freeing would be a lot of feedback in one axis and a sloppy controls in the same direction, until the new hinge in the control run failed/jammed? Joe Sulack did a heck of job getting it back as far as he did.
That servo rod is very smooth, designed to move freely in housing. The jam nut/lock-washer combination are the only rotational restraint on the servo rod to the banjo(?) fitting.

Brian Abraham
31st Mar 2007, 01:59
Devil 49, Just a pilot? Sound like a PRO to me. :ok:

JimEli
31st Mar 2007, 14:46
found the previous crash:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=FTW94FA231&rpt=fi

Devil 49:
"The jam nut/lock-washer combination are the only rotational restraint on the servo rod to the banjo(?) fitting."

It seems to defy fail-proof and fail-safe principles ?

Aser
13th Apr 2007, 10:34
Another one...
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Apr/12/br/br9381524076.html

Report on helicopter hard landing cites tail rotor

Advertiser Staff
The National Transportation Safety Board is inspecting the tail rotor gearbox of a Maui tour helicopter that made a hard landing March 28 at Kahului Airport.

None of the seven people aboard the Eurocopter AS 350 BA owned by MauiScape Helicopters Inc. was hurt in the incident, which occurred in the same month that two tour helicopters crash-landed on Kaua'i, killing a total of five people.

On March 8, a Heli-USA Eurocopter AS 350 BA experienced a loss of control while landing at Princeville, killing four. On March 11, an Inter-island Helicopters McDonnell Douglas 369FF aircraft crash-landed in Ha'ena after losing its tail rotor. One passenger was killed.

In the Maui incident, the helicopter entered 'Iao Valley near the end of an hourlong sightseeing flight when the pilot noticed a problem with the aircraft's yaw, or side-to-side movement, according to an NTSB preliminary report released this week. The pilot manipulated the tail rotor control pedals to no effect and declared an emergency before landing at the airport's Runway 2, the report said. The helicopter sustained minor damage.

The NTSB said Kahului air-traffic tower personnel told investigators the pilot contacted the tower and reported: "He may have 'lost his tail rotor.' "

A Federal Aviation Administration airworthiness inspector from the Honolulu Flight Standards District Office inspected the helicopter and found that a mounting tang in the tail rotor gearbox pitch-change bellcrank was fractured, the NTSB report said. The gearbox assembly was removed and shipped to the NTSB for further metallurgical examination.

It is expected to take months before the NTSB releases a report on the probable cause of the Maui incident.

NTSB records show there have been four aircraft accidents reported in Hawai'i so far this year, including the three involving tour helicopters last month.

The first incident of the year occurred Jan. 31 when an Island Air Bombardier DHC-8-103 encountered severe turbulence while descending near Kaunakakai, Moloka'i. A pilot who was a hitching a ride on the flight was thrown about the cabin and suffered a fractured vertebrae in his back.

Aser
25th Apr 2007, 09:19
Maui helicopter has hard landing
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070421/NEWS0103/704210336/1005/NEWS
Posted on: Saturday, April 21, 2007
Maui helicopter has hard landing
By Christie Wilson
Advertiser Neighbor Island Editor
A tour helicopter on Maui appeared to have hit a jacaranda tree at a height of 10 to 20 feet, then made a hard landing, a witness said.
CHRISTIE WILSON | The Honolulu Advertiser
spacer spacer
MAKAWAO, Maui — A tour helicopter chartered for a New Jersey corporate group made a hard landing yesterday on celebrity chef Bev Gannon's lawn, moments after taking off from her estate.
None of the four men and two women aboard the Sunshine Helicopters EC130 Whisperstar B4 was seriously hurt, but all were taken to Maui Memorial Medical Center as a precaution, police Lt. Jimmy Bell said.
Neighbor Al Schwartz, a noted ceramics artist who lives next to Gannon's property on the 3000 block of Baldwin Avenue, said he had come out of his studio after hearing a loud helicopter noise about 3:45 p.m. Two helicopters landed on Gannon's lawn and sat for about 10 minutes with their rotors spinning while taking on passengers, he said.
"The first one took off and went over the pineapple fields. About three minutes later, the second one started to take off in the same direction and hit the corner of the yard," Schwartz said. "I never saw it get above the trees."
Schwartz said the helicopter appeared to have contacted a jacaranda tree at a height of 10 to 20 feet, then crashed back to the ground. He said winds were gusty at the time.
"The noise was incredible," he said.
There was a crowd of people on Gannon's lawn to watch the aircraft leave, and some were screaming, according to Schwartz. "There were some scared people," he said. "One lady was hysterical. I think her husband was on the helicopter."
A female passenger was taken away from the aircraft on a stretcher but was later seen walking around, he said. No one else seemed hurt.
Gannon could not be contacted for comment, and Sunshine Helicopters officials who were at the scene of the hard landing declined to comment.
Bell said the helicopters were shuttling people from the property to the Kapalua resort. They belonged to a corporate group of approximately 50 people from Princeton, N.J., he said.
Bell did not know why they were at Gannon's property. Schwartz said helicopters have landed there only a few times over the nine years he's lived next door.
Gannon and husband Joe own the Hali'imaile General Store and Joe's Bar & Grill restaurants on Maui. She is one of the founders of the Pacific Regional Cuisine movement and has appeared on "The Today Show" and other national television programs.
A National Transportation Safety Board investigator from Honolulu was expected to arrive on Maui last night to look into the incident, Bell said

tokmik
11th Jul 2009, 22:20
I know this isn't the first we've heard of this on the A-Star line, but was wondering what some of the causes have been in the past.

My condolence to family and friends!

Gordy
12th Jul 2009, 00:47
but was wondering what some of the causes have been in the past.

Causes of what?