PDA

View Full Version : Net Nannies?

XXTSGR
9th Mar 2007, 08:43
I have a contact who is looking for a "Net Nanny" type of application. His problems thus far have been that the ones he has tried seem to block everything (INCLUDING Google!!!), are difficult for him and his wife to disable so THEY can go browsing uninterrupted, and, when installed in one user's partition, pop up in all the other users' profiles. One that last one, I suspect that they were logged in as an Administrator rather than their 11-year old's profile.

Can anyone suggest suitable software to address these problems?

PS - regarding ease of disabling the software, it needs to be fairly intuitive - we're dealing with computing noncoms!

Cypherus
9th Mar 2007, 10:55
net nannies are Ok as far as it goes but as you pointed out have there little foibles in that they Nanny everyone and you always have the problem in that it is someone elses idea of security that may not be as relaxed or severe as your own, but if all else fails there really is only one soultion to protecting children for the internets nafarious content, that of actually being there when they surf.

One site that may be of help in offering advice is:
http://education.guardian.co.uk/netclass/parents/links/0,,70512,00.html

There are also the inbuilt security feature in internet options which will allow you to raise the security level of the browser restrict what can and cannot be viewed in terms of visual content, restricted words and sites and has password protection to prevent the little darlings who will I assure you be far more computer literate and capable than most parents give them credit for.

Then there is the Account's feature which will let you set up seperate accounts for yourself and your children and has facilities too restrict the activites of the account holders, something well worth studying.