PDA

View Full Version : Catering gone mad!

Al Fakhem
9th Mar 2007, 03:54
The other day, Mrs. Al Fakhem flew from Bangkok to Madras on TG. Being Thai and flying on the Thai flag carrier, she requested a Thai dish when lunch came around. To her dismay, the only choices were Indian dishes. Whilst the FAs were reasonably apologetic, they explained that since the flight was headed for India, the food choice was limited to Indian cuisine. What sort of logic is this? Does it mean that Indians are incapable of eating Thai food?

This is actually not the only airline to go completely c**p over food. Some time ago, I flew LH from Bangalore to Frankfurt and there was no German food available - only Indian food. The explanation then was that the majority of passengers were Indian. Again the presumption that Indians are incapable of eating anything else than Indian food - and that all other pax better fall in line. (I have to add that LH's version of Indian food was horrible compared to that served by Indian domestic carrier Jet Airways).

It used to be that at least one choice of dishes on airlines used to be a local option (as in home base of carrier). What on earth has happened?:ugh:

Bangkokeasy
9th Mar 2007, 04:08
TG usually serves something that at least looks like Thai food on all legs and I don't know why they didn't in this case - maybe they had run out of that by the time they came round to Mrs Al-F?. This is specially surprising, since most Thais I know avoid Indian food like the plague and even though most of the SLF may have been Indian, there would still be a substantial number of Thais on board. That said, I have never been impressed with TG catering generally. The only exception is first class, which is rather good. Y and C are both universally bad.

I just wish TG would get their act together over catering. They have not made substantial changes to their menu in around 10 years and the quality by comparison to other carriers has been further eroded over that time. For a country that produces arguably the finest food in the world, that the flag carrier so clearly disappoints in this respect is lamentable and inexcusable.

ZFT
9th Mar 2007, 06:00
Flown to Mumbai and Bangalore on TG recently without experiencing the same issue. As stated, most Thais do not like Indian cuisine so not to even offer Thai food would be quite surprising.

However I tend to agree with Bangkokeasy that the quality of food on TG has slipped. I’m not sure whether it has anything to do with the CC being unhappy over some of their new arrangements at VTBS but it now also seems virtually impossible to get hot food on board in any class. At best it’s served lukewarm.

Very surprising for a carrier that was so well thought of only 12 months ago

Tolsti
9th Mar 2007, 08:15
I don't suppose you've ever tried asking El Al why it is that if you can get Kosher food on most airlines now; you can't get Non Kosher food on El AL.... I only asked once.......