PDA

View Full Version : Jamaica

FullyFlapped
8th Mar 2007, 21:34
Anyone tried to hire here (for typical private use) ? If so, details please ?

Thanks,

FF :ok:

Justiciar
10th Mar 2007, 07:13
I looked into this a couple of years ago and was set up to hire from a company in Kingston. They told me that to get a Jamaican licence I simply had to pass the air law exam, but when I spoke directly to the Jamaican CAA I was told I also needed a Jamaican medical. This made it not worth while. I don't see why you cannot hire dual, but I guess you cannot then be P1. I was going the meet the aircraft at Boscobel, a small airfield near Ocho Rios.

stickandrudderman
10th Mar 2007, 07:42
Hire an aeroplane in the most violent and crime ridden place in the Caribbean? No thank you!

Justiciar
10th Mar 2007, 07:52
I spent two weeks there and travelled over alot of the island and found the people delightful. Sure, parts of Kingston are no go areas for visitors, but so are parts of Moscow, London, New York and dozens of other countries and places around the world. You just have to be sensible and take precautions as you would where ever you travel.

FullyFlapped
11th Mar 2007, 10:56
Thanks, Justicar : excellent information, just what I wanted to know.

FF :ok:

jayemm
11th Mar 2007, 12:25
I rented in Jamaica and had one of the best flying experiences ever. I rented a C172 and flew around the island and the Blue Mountains. I strongly recommend that you give it a go as it's one of those things you don't get to do very often and will stick with you! If you want more info pm me. Ignore Stickandrudderman's comments; although I don't know him, with that attitude I'm delighted he won't be going.

MJMASON
19th Apr 2007, 23:43
DETAILED INVESTIGATION REPORT - AIR JAMAICA

The true recording of events on the 28th and 29th June 2005 at Heathrow Airport and flight JMO2 by Air Jamaica will now be issued and published to Air Jamaica.

The Report will explain the EU 261/2004 Regulations and how it affect passengers who fly from UK within the European Union.