PDA

View Full Version : CiD Pop-Ups in IE7 Problem.

BRL
8th Mar 2007, 18:19
Hi all. I am getting pop-ups when I use IE7.

They range from anything to everything and at the top of the page in the blue bar it says "CiD *********" with the stars there being replaced for whatever they are advertising.

I just had one for a well known UK bank and some other well known brands that you wouldn't normally associate with this kind of thing.

I have the pop-up blocker on IE7 running and have scanned the hard drive using the Adaware and Spybot programmes.

Simple questions are how did it get there with all the security I have in place here and how do I get rid of it?

Thanks. :)

spannersatcx
8th Mar 2007, 23:32
try going back to IE6

Bushfiva
9th Mar 2007, 01:16
You say you scanned with Ad Aware, etc. but that does look like a "CiD Help" (adserverplus) infection. It's a pain to remove since Spybot & Ad Aware may not be able to remove it yet. Check in Add/Remove Programs for "CiD Help" and remove it. Then there's some stuff in your Hosts file you need to edit out. A quick google shows http://www.my-whiteboard.com/windows-admin/2007/02/23/remove-malwareadware-cid-help-from-your-windows-computer.html.

It usually arrives bundled with software.

You could see if nolop.exe finds/fixes anything. Google will show you where to get it and you need to read about what it does.

Tarq57
9th Mar 2007, 01:58
What do you mean by "all the security I have in place"?
Surely you're not referring to Spybot and AdAware?
Try this: http://www.superantispyware.com/
S&D and AdAware have they're uses, but as primary malware scanners...well, they've been overtaken, would be a nice way to put it.
Other goodies: AVG Antispyware (30 day trial of resident) Asquared, and SpywareTerminator (Free resident antispyware with HIPS. Brilliant.)

Cypherus
9th Mar 2007, 11:33
Did not take many minutes for the Flea farmers to get in on IE 7 did it, so much for Bills all singing and dancing new explorer.
Sadly the writters of this problem malware have ramped up their efforts before the public can protect there systems against issues that have yet to become common knowledge in the hope of getting there particular software onto your computer, remembering it takes only one idiot to respond to it to make it all worth the effort as far as there tiny minds go and a lot, in fact a very large amount of money is involved here.

The question of Pop ups or Pester ware with IE 7 is an ongoing issue that had been all but overcome with IE 6 and with this newer edition it will all have to be done again, and if you want to know exactly how deep it goes read through this little lot.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=9951

The owner eventually established a clean system after a lot of messing around but for an infected system it has to be done or they win and you loose.
Spybot and adaware will in the course of time catch up and put a stop to this problem I am certain but in the mean time the advice given on the posts in that link will allow you to clean your system, and take a hint, once done, either go back to IE 6 if you must or go with Firefox which while not totally immune to this sort of thing is far better suited to cope with it, is fast a generally safer to use.