PDA

View Full Version : New: CX new CEO?

geh065
8th Mar 2007, 08:26
Someone is telling me that Chen is off as new Head of Swire China, and Tony Tyler is the new CEO.....anyone heard anything about this? I am being told a press release is imminent.

geh065
8th Mar 2007, 09:43
Confirmed now:
Who is John Slosar?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Message to staff from Tony Tyler

Dear colleagues,

Today the Swire group announced some significant management changes that will see our Chief Executive, Philip Chen, become Deputy Chairman of Cathay Pacific Airways and Chairman of John Swire & Sons (China) Ltd. The other changes within the Cathay Pacific Group are my own appointment as Chief Executive and the appointment of John Slosar as Chief Operating Officer.

It is a tremendous privilege and great honour for me to move to the Chief Executive position. I have worked for Cathay Pacific since 1978 and have seen the airline grow from a relatively small regional carrier into a strong, successful company with a worldwide reputation. I am proud to have been part of that growth and, in my new position, will continue to work together with the team to drive the Group forward.

And it gives me great pleasure to welcome John Slosar back into the Cathay Pacific fold. Many of you will remember John from his previous time at CX, where he displayed first-class managerial skills and made a significant contribution to the airline's development.

When Philip moves over to his new position he will pass on the airline in very good shape. Philip has an enviable record of success and the Cathay Pacific Group has benefited greatly from his knowledge and business acumen. He has overseen some significant recent developments at the airline including the landmark deal that brought Dragonair into the family. Of course, Philip will still be around as Deputy Chairman and I am delighted I can continue to rely on his advice and support.

The management changes won't take place for a couple of months or so but, when they do, I can assure you that the company's strategy and focus will remain unchanged. These are exciting times for the Cathay Pacific Group and we have a great team in place. I look forward to working with you all.

Best regards,

Tony Tyler, Chief Operating Officer

---------------------------------------------------

A message to staff from Philip Chen

Dear colleagues,

Our Chairman, Christopher Pratt, today announced my appointment as Deputy Chairman of Cathay Pacific Airways and Chairman of John Swire & Sons (China) Ltd. I am delighted and honoured that the Swire Group has given me this recognition. At the same time I am pleased that I can continue to work with the CX team - albeit in a different capacity and not on a daily basis as before.

The management changes will take place in a couple of months or so. I will of course be sad to leave behind my day-to-day involvement in the running of this great airline, and I will also miss the pleasure of being able to work with the strong, committed team that has achieved so much in recent years. Earlier this week we announced our annual results which revealed the company to be in its strongest position ever.

We have built a solid foundation for our future growth and I look forward to seeing the airline make the most of the opportunities that will come our way through the integration with Dragonair and enhanced partnership with Air China.

The CX/KA/CA deal was vital to the future success of the Cathay Pacific Group and I am proud to have played a part in turning this into a reality. But this is just one of a number of significant achievements for the airline. We have played a big part in building Hong Kong's role as an international aviation hub. Our reputation for service excellence has brought us worldwide renown - and a number of top awards. And we are now moving into the future by expanding our fleet and introducing a new inflight product that will keep us at the top of the game.

My new position will bring new challenges and help to further broaden my horizons. As always, I relish new challenges. As I move on I am pleased to say that - with the appointment of Tony Tyler as Chief Executive and John Slosar as Chief Operating Officer - the airline will be in very good hands. I look forward to supporting them and their excellent team as the Cathay Pacific Group moves forward into a new era of expansion and growth.

Thank you all for your support.

Philip Chen, Chief Executive

tx_dfw
8th Mar 2007, 11:55
http://www.forbes.com/business/feeds/afx/2007/03/08/afx3497950.html

Hong Kong's Cathay Pacific chief executive Philip Chen to step down
03.08.07, 7:04 AM ET

HONG KONG (XFN-ASIA) - Swire Pacific Ltd and Cathay Pacific Airways chairman Christopher Pratt said Philip Chen is to step down as chief executive of Cathay Pacific Airways but remain on the board as a non-executive deputy chairman.
Chen will take up a new role within Swire Pacific as the director responsible for the company's overall China investment strategy.
Chen is also to be appointed chairman of John Swire & Sons (China) Ltd, as well as sit on the boards of Swire Properties Ltd and Swire Beverages Ltd.
Tony Tyler, the chief operating officer of Cathay Pacific, is to be promoted to the position of chief executive.
John Slosar, managing director of Swire Beverages and a Swire Pacific executive director, is to be appointed chief operating officer of Cathay Pacific Airways. He will remain a director of Swire Pacific
The senior management changes in both companies will take place with effect from July 1, 2007.
[email protected]
rl/km

tx_dfw
8th Mar 2007, 11:57
Not sure what it really means for CX. Ive been throught a few CEO's at my present company, It seems they are all just puppets on a stick. Most lack any real leadership ability.

cpdude
8th Mar 2007, 18:45
I don't think we need to see the crass language you obviously use...grow up!:*

Glass Half Empty
8th Mar 2007, 22:30
There is only one word for it

BYE

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Penske
9th Mar 2007, 02:15
Extremely bad taste Jose. Please edit and remove.

Flying Bagel
9th Mar 2007, 13:19
Certain people think they can lambaste anything and everything that comes across their path, when they themselves are cut from the same cloth (if not worse) of the people they so desperately despise.

It's ironic, and sad, really.

mayday911
9th Mar 2007, 16:58
Not only is the Chinese CEO leaving, but the new COO will be a YANK!!! What is this world coming to?

Mayday

Saturn
9th Mar 2007, 17:43
I like Philip Chen. He was a gentlemen and always said hello and remembered my name as well. He always had time to shake hands and talk for a bit. He always had a smile on his face as well. He would eat at the cantine with all the other worker bees. Say what you want about him but personally, I will miss the guy. Not many CEO's at big companies like him. So, I wish him all the best.
Now I am sure I am going to get totally flamed for this post by the ususal suspects.
Let me also just say this, a friend of mine just interviewed at Emirates and has met quite a few pilots from there, WE ARE LUCKY TO BE AT CX AND HAVE WHAT WE HAVE! This includes places like Ryanair and Korean and such. Grass is always greener etc etc... So for all you naysayers about CX-be careful what you wish for, you may just get it.
Flame away flamers:8

N1 Vibes
10th Mar 2007, 04:35
mayday911,

thought I would look up xenophobic in the dictionary for you:

[adjective] suffering from xenophobia; having abnormal fear or hatred of the strange or foreign

I also notice from your PP location you live in the USA, do you have a problem with American or Chinese people?

I suggest that if you are CX worker or flight crew that you depart CX now. Since a large number of your co-workers, and I also include those on the other side of the cockpit door, in Cathay City, at outstations, in the Gay Bar etc, are going to be American and Chinese.

I believe the North Pole has no official nationality, suggest this is your next destination. By the way you'll need a life raft in about 40 years, as your igloo will have melted.

Simply put a sock in it! :mad:

mayday911
11th Mar 2007, 15:06
Well I guess since you can't type sarcasm, I guess I can understand why you would mis read my post. I am American and look forward to moving to Hong Kong in the future.

Saying I should leave my job, that I like by the way, based on one post on an anonymous site....save your dictionary terms for someone who gives a sh!t.

Mayday

N1 Vibes
12th Mar 2007, 02:07
Mayday,

just so I'm clear on your point, it's because you enjoy anonymity that you use sarcasm as if it were your own 'normal' opinion. Most people will give a hint to their sarcasm here, so as not to draw censorship. If I've got the wrong end of the stick then apologies. And I'm sure Hong Kong will benefit from you being here.

Brgd's

N1 Vibes
Long Term HK Resident

act700
12th Mar 2007, 03:32
You're people sphincters are wound too tight; relax.

With globalization, we're all going to be one big happy, family, soon.

At least that's what my therapist keeps telling me.

Note: Preceeding to be taken as a joke. (My lawyer told me to put this here).