PDA

View Full Version : Wireless home networks/WinXp

BOAC
8th Mar 2007, 06:41
Hopelessly lost in wireless and network setup, and would appreciate some simple 'do this', tick that help.

Host has PCI wifi card: WinXP Pro SP2
New Laptop wifi enabled:Win XP Home (SP2)
Wireless modem/router (3Com)

Last night I was quite pleased - I had set up 2 wifi networks to connect:-

1) Host (desktop) to Client (laptop)
and

2)Host and Laptop to router

What I could not do was to get 1) to allow me to access files etc on other computer. Both individually showed themselves as Network places but did not show the other.

This morning I Googled and followed numerous 'advice' pages, setting this, changing that, ticking something else.

Now I can still link the 2 PC's wirelessly but they still cannot access each. I CANNOT access the internet via the router now from the host using wifi 2) Laptop still connects that way. I would like the option of using the Host's ADSL modem as a connection too with network 1), as an alternative to using 2) via the router.

I THOUGHT it was possible to setup a home network using just wifi, but most of the 'help' pages talk of wired ethernet. So, is it possible? If so, could someone please walk me through (or point me to a help site)? As said many times, why is this wifi/networking so complicated? I would have thought by now we luddites would have been offered a 'would you like to connect a to b' prompt etc etc

Bushfiva
8th Mar 2007, 08:43
You want ONE wireless network, controlled by the wireless hub: both computers connect to the wireless hub/router, not to each other. Do you think you may have been paying with "ad-hoc/peer" mode? If so, that's the wrong one, and you need to change that setting on each computer.

Let the router set DHCP.

Let the computers get their IP addresses automatically.

Things may then automagically burst into life.

BOAC
8th Mar 2007, 11:12
Settings are as above; I have tried all the options for peer-to-peer, ad hoc etc, no luck.

I wish to be able to transfer files between machines via wifi - will the connection via the router do that?

Bushfiva
8th Mar 2007, 12:10
Yes, connection via the router is the way to do it. Have you ever set up a wired network? Do you understand the topography? From the router, you have a wire to the internet or an internet-related device, then a wire to each computer. For a wireless network, the wire to each computer is replaced by wireless. Just like the wired version, where there is NO wire running between the computers, you don't want to try to set up a wireless connection between computers.

What 3Com router do you have, and what is between the router and the wall?

Ah, I suddenly noticed the "I Googled" words, so you can connect to the internet from each computer, right? If that's true, then the network side of things is working, and we just need to get the computers sharing files.

In which case, pick a computer, open "My Computer", right click on the C: drive icon, select "Sharing", and select the options that share the drive. From the other computer, you may be able to select "Network Neighborhood", click on the first computer name, and the hard disk will(*) be visible.

If you're not confident doing this, I can repeat using smaller steps.

(*)Actually, sometimes it doesn't become visible. The easiest way to force it is to reboot each computer, and wait 15 minutes or so. Then have another look.

BOAC
8th Mar 2007, 12:35
Sorted out the desktop internet connection problem! I had connected the wifi adaptor to the 'network bridge' (some web page said do it!:eek: ) and with it disconnected I am on line on the desktop via wifi.

Regarding the 'sharing files' thing, this from my post.Both individually showed themselves as Network places but did not show the other.. I select 'Entire Network'? This gives me MS Terminal Services/MS Windows Network and Web Client Network. Selecting (2)) and expanding the the Network name shows ONLY the desktop. Laptop IS connected via wifi to the router. Likewise same steps on Laptop show ONLY LaptopIf you're not confident doing this, I can repeat using smaller steps. - sounds like a good idea if you would:)

UPDATE 15:30 Damned Computer had gone and changed the Workgroup name!! Progress has been made. The Desktop can access the Laptop but the Laptop cannot access the Desktop - Access not allowed.

EDIT 15:43 Beats self with large stick- Firewall now configured.:ugh:

Thanks for the replies.

Cypherus
10th Mar 2007, 22:44
Just for reference you might like to keep hold of this link for the future.

WWW.WOWN.COM (http://www.WOWN.COM)

a great info centre on all things Network.

BOAC
11th Mar 2007, 05:40
Thank you 'Cypher' - looks like a terrific site. I have 'linked' it to number 1 son who does Perl/Network scripting to earn his humble crumb.:)

Loads of good stuff there.