PDA

View Full Version : Recently Used Programs fields remain blank in Start Menu

MTOW
7th Mar 2007, 08:12
My problem: I’ve just installed a new version of WinXP with SP2, and have a small problem with the Start Menu.

The recently used programs won’t display in the Start Menu.

I’ve looked online (both the Microsoft site and a couple of computer forums) and yes, the problem has been encountered by others. However, none of the answers I found fixes the problem.

Going Properties/Start Manu/Customise/Advanced doesn’t fix it (unless there’s some selection within the final ‘start manu displayed’ menu that will fix it). There also isn’t a “List my most recently opened documents” check box where the Windows help page says there should be in the Advanced area.

Whatever I do, I still just get a white (blank) field above the Start button and All Programs prompt. I can drag program icons into the field above the recently used programs field (i.e., where the Email and Explorer program icons go if you select them), but the recently used programs field stubbornly remains blank.

Some answers online suggest not using shortcuts to open the programs, but the ‘root’ program icon itself – but I’ve even gone right into program Files/Microsoft Office/Office 11/Winword.exe and saved the document opened – still no result.

I suspect the answer will be an amendment to a registry entry. A couple of the answers given online give registry addresses to alter, but didn’t go on to say what to do having reached the applicable page. Everyone giving such an answer assumed the reader has a far deeper knowledge of registry editing than I have. They are all dating from around 2004 as well, so asking for clarification probably won’t get a quick answer.

I’ve tried using TweakUI, but I’m presented with a blank screen in its Task Menu/Start Bar window and I can’t work out how to add something to that blank window.

It’s not a huge problem. I’m learning to live with it, but I would prefer it to be resolved and have what I’m used to. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cypherus
7th Mar 2007, 09:29
Had this one a few weeks ago, turned out too be the owners daughter had changed the 'Prooerties' settings for the 'Start' Panel to ensure the panel remained clear.

Solution: click Start > Right click the Blue header and click Properties.

Select 'Start Menu' tab this page allows you too change from the XP start menu option too the Classic Start menu option. Which ever you choose to run with click the 'Customize' box.

Under the Programs heading there is a box that can be altered to limit the number of programs that can be displayed, In this case it was set too Zero, default should be Six, altered same to suit owner,

Click OK, page closes, Click Apply then OK on Taskbar and Start Menu Properties page to close page and set new figures.

On the Customize start menu page you will find an advanced option were you can solve the documents dislay problem also.

Worked in this case, suggest you have a look.

MTOW
7th Mar 2007, 10:26
Thanks for the reply, Cypherus, but, as I said in my first post, I've already tried what you'd suggested. As I’ve also mentioned in my first post, I don't have “List my most recently opened documents” check box on the Advanced page, so I suspect I will have to make a Registry change to get that tab to display.

Tarq57
7th Mar 2007, 21:04
Try this site. http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
I haven't tried the fix you need, but #289 or 117 looks promising.
I've read on Ccleaner forum of folks using fixes from this site with success, so am prepared to recommend it.