PDA

View Full Version : Commonwealth soldiers form union

ORAC
7th Mar 2007, 05:59
BBC: Commonwealth soldiers form union

Soldiers from the Commonwealth serving in the British army are so dissatisfied with their treatment they are to form a trade union, the BBC has learned. The move comes amid complaints of widespread racism, unfair treatment and a lack of welfare support. The union, while powerless to strike or negotiate, will give advice to members.

The Ministry of Defence said there was no evidence of endemic racism in the Army and special provision was offered to the 6,000 Commonwealth soldiers.

Marlon Clancy, who is setting up the British Commonwealth Soldiers Union, said one issue was preferential treatment. "In some units, the white soldiers will be given priority for courses over the black soldiers, and the black soldier - no matter how long he's been in, if he has been in four years longer than the white soldier - he will be put behind the white soldier," he told the BBC.

Recent years have seen the number of servicemen and women from Commonwealth countries swell as the MoD struggles to recruit people born in the UK. In 2000, there were just 435 from the Commonwealth but that figure has since risen to 6,000 - the bulk of whom are from Fiji.

Samuel
7th Mar 2007, 08:39
It's rather ironic that Fijians are serving when their country is currently under an illegal military government!

Thud_and_Blunder
7th Mar 2007, 08:43
Listened to the article on the "Today" programme. I thought the Adjutant General did a pretty good job when wheeled-on for comment - Humphreys seemed onside when dealing with him.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
7th Mar 2007, 09:52
If I was a politician I would feel eminently qualified to comment on this as I know nothing about it. I did wonder how much of this was normal ribbing and banter that the lads have never experienced from comrades before. As we know, it can seem pretty harsh and, if not responded to in the correct manner, can border on brutal. If it is genuinely malicious, though, I think the perpetrators need some serious wall to wall counselling.

toolongaloafer
7th Mar 2007, 20:26
Samuel - It's rather ironic that Fijians are serving when their country is currently under an illegal military government! :=

Samuel - Do some homework first b4 you post comments like the above

1. The Fiji Islanders (ALL ETHNICITIES) who joined the British Army joined way b4 the happenings in Fiji couple of months ago.
2. Those that joined the pommy army are not affiliated in anyway to the Fiji Army - they as civilians applied directly and not through the Government

L J R
9th Mar 2007, 05:52
And what do the Kiwis who are now on the Typhoon and USAF exchange on Super Hornets etc have to say about this???. What about the other Kiwi / Sth African / Aussie / etc aircrew have to say?

HEDP
9th Mar 2007, 07:35
Am I being dull, I thought that the forces could only have a federation as it was illegal to have a union in the Forces?

Seldomfitforpurpose
9th Mar 2007, 08:07
Not dull just naive, the folk mentioned are not members of the white, heterosexual and perceived normal silent majority therefore to deny them ANYTHING would be seen to be racist/sexist/etc etc........... and we can't have that can we :rolleyes:

blahdeblah
9th Mar 2007, 08:10
Heavy man.

HEDP
9th Mar 2007, 09:47
I guess that what I was hinting at but you put it much clearer than I.

Samuel
10th Mar 2007, 00:34
TooLong
I'm well aware of your 'facts'; my mistake was assuming everyone else did, you being an exception.:rolleyes:

It would be patently obvious they joined before this coup, and that they are not members of the Fijian Army.Had they been they couldn't be both Fijian and British army at the same time!