PDA

View Full Version : John Nichol captured in Afghanistan?

TorqueOfTheDevil
6th Mar 2007, 13:17
Heard on the lunchtime news that a British journalist called John Nichol has been captured by the Taleban - just hoping it's not 'our' John Nichol. Anyone know more?

samuraimatt
6th Mar 2007, 13:18
No it is not John Nichol from GW1. The journalist just has the same name. So I guess you will be glad it is some other John Nichol now.

TorqueOfTheDevil
6th Mar 2007, 13:24
Slightly harsh SamuraiMatt...! I wouldn't wish that on anyone, even a journo, and I hope that the 'other' JN will be released safe and well, and soon. I think, though, it's reasonable of me to try to establish whether the person involved is both someone I happen to have met and someone who's been imprisoned and mistreated before.

Anyway, thanks for the information,

TOTD

MaroonMan4
6th Mar 2007, 13:31
TQ,

I must be honest, the same thought crossed my mind, but although I do not personally know 'our' John - I didn't think that he would be that daft to bimble off into Helmand with just a couple of interpreters - unless he is really scraping the barrel for a Discovery Wings Documentary ('Wings of the Apache seen from the Taleban Perspective' does have a certain ring to it though).

But as Samsonite is so sure, then my thoughts go to the other John Nichols familiy and friends - it wasn't the fear of death that worried me out there, but the fear of being captured (hence why I get so passionate about the whole JPR/CSAR/CR piece).

But I am sure that this Journo will have the confidence to know that the UK has its own dedicated, resourced, fully funded CSAR/JPR assets all ready to go (as with the Foreign Office Officials in Ethiopia). Or we could give the '20 minuters' a shout and see if they have anything planned for the forseable future as they could just saddle up with a couple of Royal Marines and do the job?

Mmmmnice
6th Mar 2007, 20:52
TOTD - re: 'our' JN. He may be yours, but he's certainly not mine!

Topsy Turvey
6th Mar 2007, 22:25
Not British, or John Nichol,but an Italian Journo.
See Here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/6422671.stm

Samuel
7th Mar 2007, 03:43
Sam-Matt, your last posts are always well-received...possibly in with the hope that they are the last:D

You seem to have infinite capacity for getting it wrong.

betty swallox
7th Mar 2007, 08:11
Is it just me, or is this Samaurimatt guy (maybe intentionally) winding everyone up. Having been an avid PPRUNE dabler for years now, rarely have I seen one who constantly sends terse (and often factually incorrect) posts. Maybe I'm just getting on a bit...oh and by the way...as an Air Force veteran (yes I am still in), I'm no stranger to banter...