PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Hibernation Probs - Help

planecrazy.eu
6th Mar 2007, 13:13
Hey, when my laptop goes into Hibernation mode the following happens

- The first windows hibernation screen is fine (windows themed one)

but when the second screen comes up, the black one with the hibernation status percentage bar, the screen starts to flick from the screen to a dark screen and back and forth every second at least untill hibernation is done...

It never used to do this... So any ideas what the problem is?

Also, when i am using the laptop, 3+ hours, i get the same problem, the screen going on and off as such on just general applications...

Acer, the helpful people they are say "its software" so no we wont look at it, and if we do, we'll charge.

So i have took there advice, re-install the whole os from fresh, but the prob is still here, i have installed a copy of XP Pro just to make sure, but no, prob is here...

I have checked my partners and sisters acer laptops and they hibernate as mine used to...

So any ideas what it could be?

My main concern as such is the RAM, could it be a ram or graphics related problem?

I am pretty sure its not the screen too...

Cypherus
6th Mar 2007, 22:06
Two things spring to mind here, Heat related problem, in that you get intermittent screen interupts after 3+ hours, suggest you give the thing a good clean out inside with some canned air and make sure when you use it that the vents are not restricted and that it is not placed on an insulating material, Duvets make good laptop killers.

Second one, problems entering hibernation, from past experience, suggest you turn off 'Wake on LAN' feature and give it a good clean.

Other than that Acer are probably correct in that it is a software related problem, if you can try using system restore and take it back to a time prior to you having this problem.

planecrazy.eu
7th Mar 2007, 13:01
Thanks, the laptop did need a good clean, but the problem was i updated the BIOS to a new version for Vista, and thinking about it, i have only had issues with Win XP Hibernation since, so could have been either things. Sorted, well not sorted but under standed now, but Vista works fine, so looks like i'll go vista full time...