PDA

View Full Version : California

Bandit650
6th Mar 2007, 10:20
Hi All

Am looking for suggestions for somewhere in north California (N of San Fran) where I can base myself for a few weeks for some flying and a holiday...criteria includes:

* good FTO with competive rates, good choice of a/c and availability plus tailwheel conversions
* near coast
* good location for a young family (good amenties etc etc)..i.e not to far away from a town.

Anything spring to mind? I know there must be dozens, but looking for any specific recommendations.

Cheers

Cusco
6th Mar 2007, 10:26
Napa.

Cusco

david viewing
6th Mar 2007, 13:20
It's a bit far north of SFO, but it might be worth considering Boundary Bay Canada, where rental is significantly cheaper than the US and amenities around Vancouver second to none.

stickandrudderman
7th Mar 2007, 22:13
I flew with an outfit near Venice beach. I can't remember the name but they were based at Santa Monica airfield.
I flew a Mooney up to Lake Tahoe and the hourly rate was less than for a PA28 at Cabair!:ok:

Bandit650
8th Mar 2007, 09:27
Thanks all.

SoCal: South would be okay - I said North as I spent some time there before and i liked it, but that doesn't exclude the South obviously.

I would prefer to avoid the LA area though for a number of reasons.

n5296s
8th Mar 2007, 15:08
Palo Alto, San Carlos, Livermore... they all have what you want. West Valley at PAO and SQL, Attitude at LVK, can do the taildragger conversion. I don't know what training there is at Monterey and Santa Rosa, and whether you could do the taildragger bit, but they fit your other criteria. Same goes for San Luis Obispo in the Central Coast area.

n5296s