PDA

View Full Version : Norton says I've got a problem, but needs internet,which is US cos of problem

gingernut
6th Mar 2007, 09:35
Kids laptop has stopped connecting to the internet, via the wireless card, and BT Router. I've tried letting windows automatically connect, but to no avail. Using the ethernet cable direct to the router doesn't work either.

The virus protection software , Norton, keeps flashing a red warning saying that there's a problem it needs to sort out, but it can't do it without a connection.

I get the feeling I'm going round in circles.

Both chavs are big fans of MSN messenger, which I suspect has caused the problem in the first place. Eldest chav thinks she may have a "worm"

My laptop works ok.

Any suggestions. ???? :confused:

amanoffewwords
6th Mar 2007, 19:20
I'd download McAfee' stinger program from another machine, copy to CD or USB key and install on affected chav....ahem laptop.

As it says on their site:

"Stinger is a stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist administrators and users when dealing with an infected system".

It is possible that "It" has downloaded a torjan which is blocking access to the Net, 'xcept for those sites/urls it wishes to use for nefarious reasons.

hth
amofw

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Mar 2007, 19:41
Any suggestions. ????

(1) Destroy every last vestige of MSM messenger.

(2) Destroy every last vestige of every anti-virus and other anti-malware system.

(3) Remove all viruses, spyware ect ect.

(4) See if it works now. (Hint: it will.)

(5) Ban children from downloading and installing any of the above.

(6) Next time they have a problem tell them it's their own fault for deliberately choosing to disobey (5), and reconfigure your network so that it blocks them even if they do clean their machines up again.

frostbite
6th Mar 2007, 19:46
Shouldn't (3) precede (2) ?

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Mar 2007, 20:50
Details, details!! - in my case it was teaching the kids some concept of taking responsibility for their own actions that sorted it in the end. (Well, so far as computers are concerned anyway, still struggling a bit with real life.)

Cypherus
6th Mar 2007, 21:10
So it be fixed we can safely assume, the errant lappie that is....:)

gingernut
7th Mar 2007, 08:01
Thanks chaps, I'll give it a go.:)