PDA

View Full Version : Asymmetric Ops in PA 44 - Seminole

training wheels
5th Mar 2007, 23:50
Just wondering whether there's a recommended setting for manifold pressure and RPM for the live engine in asymmetric ops in a Piper Seminole? IE, when flying straight and level asymmetrically, what power settings do you use on the live engine?

I know the drills for a single engine failure but no concrete settings have been given to me to fly it straight and level. Or is it just a matter of playing it by ear?

Hour Builder
6th Mar 2007, 06:50
Isnt it full power initially?

Mixtures, Props and Throttle forward to identify dead engine.

Dead leg (rudder pedal)=dead engine.

Then descide what to do (ie feather)

HB

A and C
6th Mar 2007, 07:15
There is so little surplus power avalable to the single engine PA44 that the throttle will be almost fully forward at all times.

25in and 2500RPM is a good place to start but you will require max RPM and the throttle fully open and still not maintain altitude above 5500ft (IAS STD day Vyse) at MTOW.

I enjoyed flying the PA44, I think it is one of the nicest small twins to fly but like all light twins it is a very poor single engine aircraft and in the case of engine failing sometimes the good engine should only be used to get you to the "best" field. Please don't think that a light twin will always fly away from an engine failing.