PDA

View Full Version : Wireless LAN connection keeps loosing connectivity

Oxeagle
5th Mar 2007, 19:47
Evening chaps,

I have had a long running problem with my wireless LAN connection loosing connectivity every minute or so for a few seconds, and its getting infuriating :ugh: .

Basically, I have a bodged wireless setup at home: I have a standard Voyager wired broadband router, which is connected to a desktop computer via a USB port and a Belkin wireless access point via a standard ethernet cable. My laptop recieves it's internet connection over a 802.11G wireless network from the wireless access point. Now the problem is that god only knows what reason my laptop looses connectivity randomly, not the whole connection just the data stream, as if someone has disconnected the network cable between the router and the wireless access point, and then it comes back on after a few seconds.

Can anyone provide any insight into why this is happening, and how I can fix it?

Many thanks,

Ox :ugh:

boguing
5th Mar 2007, 22:55
fwiw.

I've recently had a problem like this. Try removing the Belkin software (via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. Restart and if the cd "autoruns" - stop it, then/or use XP's wireless networking software get the drivers from the Belkin disc. Should work well. I think the problem is a clash between Belkin and Microsoft's drivers. The MS wifi stuff is surprisingly good.

Oxeagle
6th Mar 2007, 19:21
boguing,

I do not have any belkin drivers installed, only windows ones. The actual network card in my laptop is an Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG model. Is it more likely to be this or the Belkin wireless access point?

Cheers,

Ox

Cypherus
6th Mar 2007, 21:27
Suggest the problem is due to incompatiblities in the equipment in the the the AP or the router does not fully support the PSP feature, this can manifest it'self in intermittent disconnections, the may be more frequent when operating under battery power.

Reason: In the mobile computing enviroment some components have a feature that allows the wireless component to periodically power down to extend battery life, this requires a fluid connection between the wireless adapter and the Access point (AP) or Wireless Router (WP) which must communicate correctly to allow the adapter to power back up when required to do so, any incompatibility between the adapter and the AP or WR will therefor cause intermitten signal losses.

Solution: Contact the Adapter Vendor for updated software that may correct the problem.

Workaround: manually set the wireless adapter to CAM (continually aware mode), which disables the PSP capability. To do this, in either Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software or the Network Control Panel Applet (NCPA), in the power management section, uncheck the DEFAULT / AUTO selection and set the slider for HIGHEST / MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE.

Note: this workaround may affect Blue tooth if you use this facility you will need to check with your laptop vendor for more information on how pronounced this will be if at all, it can lead to total blue tooth failure to connect in worse cases.

Oxeagle
8th Mar 2007, 10:37
Cypherus,

Many thanks for your reply. I tried updating the software, power management was already set at maximum performance, and I couldn't find anything reffering to 'continually aware mode' in the Intel software control panel.

What about the wireless access point's settings? Would changing certain settings rectify the problem do you think?

Cheers,

Ox

XXTSGR
9th Mar 2007, 08:41
My suggestion would be to try ditching the 802. It's relatively new technology and not all devices out there support it well. Try downloading new drivers for anything that use it, if none available, dump it and use WPA security.

Cypherus
9th Mar 2007, 10:19
Almost certainly an incompatibility issue here between the Intel and the Belkin. Intel admit they have problems getting the Pro series to work correctly in all enviroments, Belkin on the other hand produce cheap and cheerful Wireless Router/Modems that for the main part are supplied to home users, they work well within the limits of there design but even so have niggling issues that appear to be worse than say Netgear or Dlink on the matter of compatablity, they are also very tender and prone to sudden failures, issues I believe are more related too the firmware than the hardware, they do however make equipment that works with other components supplied by Belkin, so a simple change out of the Laptops adpater for a Belkin one should solve the problem.

If you really do wish to retain the Intel adpater, Intel should be able to recommend a compatible WA for you,

Possible workarounds:

Turn off the encryption facility and the onboard Belkin firewall through the interface....192.168.2.1 (Please make sure your firewalls are running though and be aware that the local Fleas will try to use your connection).

observe the connections progress over a period of time, if a connection is established and remains stable, first turn the firewall back on again and check progress, if it remains connected and stable, ramp up the protection level till it fails to maintain or try placing the Laptop in the DMZ, (Not going to get into Port forwarding here).

if it does not maintain even then the problem is going to require replacement , I would not suggest junking the intel adpater though Belkin do make compatible equipment if you feel you would like to try this solution which will have been tested and will be compatible with the WA.

As for the encryption, again trial and error, turn it off, observe and if it maintains try a lower level of encryption, if it still will not maintain a connection then there is not a lot you can do other than replace either the WA or the adpater with same make equipment.