PDA

View Full Version : Vista problems

cornwallis
5th Mar 2007, 14:27
I have recently bought a computer with vista installed.The problem is that vista does not want to talk to my modem or printer.The modem is a speedtouch 330 supplied by Tiscali.Any help gratefully received.

spannersatcx
5th Mar 2007, 14:46
Oh the joys of a new OS, that nobody has drivers for!

Check with the printer manufacturers website that they have vista drivers, if not you'll probably have to wait for a vista or driver update.

As for the modem again the manufacturer or Tiscali should provide drivers you'll have to check with them. Actually just had a look at speedtouch website and it states NO Vista Drivers available YET!

Sorry but you'll have to wait for drivers or get compatible stuff.:ouch:

OverTq
5th Mar 2007, 14:51
Here http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=8579 is PCAdvisor's spin on the problem

cornwallis
5th Mar 2007, 15:04
Has anybody had any experience of replacing vista with windows?I have spoken to the manufacturer and they don't really know if it is possible.:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

cornwallis
5th Mar 2007, 16:08
Computer manufacturer now suggests an ethernet connection and not a usb modem.Watch this space.

frostbite
5th Mar 2007, 16:56
I suspect (hell no, I'm certain) that we are going to see loads of problems like this.

What really annoys me is that, imminently, there will be no choice unless you can find a supplier who will supply e.g., a Linux based system.

When the great god M$ decides 'this is now the ONLY o/s' that's it.

Who else behaves like this?

Cypherus
5th Mar 2007, 18:36
Replacing Vista with XP should not present a problem on most systems, those with OEM partitioned recovery options though might need a little wizardry to get around the fact that the partition is often hidden and protected, even so a simple format of the HDD will oblitorate the dreaded Vista leaving a clean slate to install a fresh new copy of XP on. yummy!. and with a five year ongoing support program now assured by Microsoft it is a fair bet that a lot of people will stick with XP for the forseeable future, much to Bills disgust.

The ongoing problem of driver supllies for Vista will haunt the community for many months, and a lot of peripheral suppliers will take the chance to force a sales boom by not updating there driver files to accomodate Vista for older models.

The trouble does not stp there however as many purchasers of the latest games are now finding out, Vista comes with the all singing and dancing DirectX 10 for which all new games are now being drawn up, they are not in anyway backwards compatible and will not run correctly or at all on DX9c and there is no fix or workaround that can be had that will ever make them, so beware, read the box carefully, a number of contacts are already getting enquiries about this one numbering in the thousands per day.

Graphics cards to are also going too feel the effects as older models, those older than a few months ago will struggle with DX 10 and the vista interface which sapped the life out of my own workshop model until shut off.

So with Vista, you pays your money and you takes Bills choice, a warmed over version of XP untill you get too the top end enterprise versions good only as a marketing excersise and for Bills wallet.

My own thoughts........ :mad:

unclenelli
9th Mar 2007, 07:42
My neighbour has exactly the same problem
I downloaded the latest Speedtouch drivers (v3.01) from the website for him, but when we installed it, the device manager keeps refreshing and disconnecting the modem.

When i re-checked the website it said if you're upgrading from XP to Vista, the drivers will work, but if you're installing on a new machine, you'll have to wait until March 07 for the new drivers - There are 3 weeks of March left to go, so just wait for it.

My neighbour is ditching the modem (supplied by Tesco) and is going for a new account with Tiscali (using the CD provided by Dell in partnership with Tiscali - hopefully they're providing different modems now)

vapilot2004
9th Mar 2007, 09:02
The same issues were widespread when Win 95/2000/XP was introduced.

Over 90 percent of manufacturers had no interest in revisiting 'older' hardware for driver updates.

....."Please trash your current thingie and buy a new one (from us if you please) when upgrading your OS to the next generation."

For those with legacy devices considering a Vista PC, see this site. (http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Default.aspx)

For anyone upgrading an existing system, this site (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx) will check your attached hardware for compatibility.

Good Luck!

BDiONU
9th Mar 2007, 09:12
it is a fair bet that a lot of people will stick with XP for the forseeable future, much to Bills disgust.

The ongoing problem of driver supllies for Vista will haunt the community for many months, and a lot of peripheral suppliers will take the chance to force a sales boom by not updating there driver files to accomodate Vista for older models.

a number of contacts are already getting enquiries about this one numbering in the thousands per day.
Interestingly a friends father phoned Dell to purchase a new PC. When it got around to discussing the OS the Dell sales person said "I must warn you that there are significant issues with Vista". Surprised that such a major manufacturer are being 'straight' with customers.

BD

vapilot2004
9th Mar 2007, 09:22
Has anybody had any experience of replacing vista with windows?I have spoken to the manufacturer and they don't really know if it is possible.
There is a good chance your new hardware will be very happy with XP (or Linux). Note:Any bundled software may not survive the reformat.

Here (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) is the HCL starting point at SirGate$.com :} or you can also proceed directly to this site (http://testedproducts.windowsmarketplace.com/) for the short story. Be sure to select the XP OS on the lower left side.

Good Luck!

cornwallis
10th Mar 2007, 19:58
BDioNU,when did your friend call Dell?They certainly didn't tell me!!

BDiONU
11th Mar 2007, 06:55
BDioNU,when did your friend call Dell?They certainly didn't tell me!!
Was around last weekend (4th March), he works in the training section at Swanwick.

BD

Mr Grumps
11th Mar 2007, 20:16
If you don't want Vista and still want XP on a new machine then the Business section of PC World can get them. I run a laptop for a charity which died 10 days ago. The only XP replacement was fron this source. It took a bit of finding and you won't get a cheap one though. The only problem is finding a 'business' to register with them.

MadsDad
11th Mar 2007, 22:17
I'm looking for a laptop for my wife and you cab certainly get new XP notebooks from e-stores (I checked on one an hour ago and they had 97 different models, XP-PRO and XP-MCE).

PM me if you need a name.

planecrazy.eu
12th Mar 2007, 16:16
Does any one agree that its just mad of Dell and others to install Vista on there Budget PC's. Its just a joke, to run vista with any good results you need, as the bare minimum.

A 128 Dedicated Graphics Card
A 3Ghz or higher processor
A Gig of RAM

If you have less than that, or the manufacture is supplying pcs less than that spec, they should be bundled with XP for sure.

My partners laptop has more or less come to a halt with Vista, and hers is lower than the spec i put above, but its higher than the Windows Spec.

Now mines more than the spec i posted, and its flying...