PDA

View Full Version : iTunes/WinXP - changing mobo and CPU

Gonzo
5th Mar 2007, 08:39
Hi Guys,

Thought I'd try here first. I've just bought a new CPU (Intel C2D E6300) and appropriate motherboard (My 'silent but fast' Pentium M 750 - http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=184453 - based system is still 'silent' but no longer fast!).

If I just straight swap the components, will iTunes think it's a new computer and ask me to authorise it? I only have one authorisation left!

Also, I've heard that Windows XP might start having issues if you keep installing it on different motherboard/CPU combinations. This new setup will be the third different one my copy of WinXP Home has been installed on. There are stories that it might refuse to work with the product code on the label, and one then has to phone up MS and somehow persuade them that you've only upgraded your computer, and that you're not trying to use it on more than one PC at a time.

Cypherus
5th Mar 2007, 08:55
Not sure about the Itunes issues, not had anyone ask about it yet so am assuming it can be transplanted without a problem, maybe a visit to their website FAQ might reveal more though I have found the site to be high on adverts and low on info in the past.

As to XP, to date I have had no problems at all tossing one of my hard drives loaded with XP Pro and a full range of generic drivers and diagnostic software into any machine I come across without the dreaded reactivation thingy coming up once, however this involves only plugging it in, the times I have had to reload XP it has always demanded reactivation and of course the key has long since expired and I have had to rely on the automated system which has always given out a new key along with instructions on how to install same, Process takes an age to complete though but does work and the only time any explanation has been asked for a simple HDD replacement answer returned the desired response.

Gonzo
5th Mar 2007, 09:00
Cypherus, thanks for the reply. Of course, I was forgetting that all I'm doing this time is swapping motherboards, so won't be re-installing XP.

terrain safe
5th Mar 2007, 19:52
Gonzo,

From memory as I'm about to dash for a night shift, can't you de-authorise a computer from I tunes and then authorise again when you done your re-installation?

cheers

Gonzo
5th Mar 2007, 20:04
Yes, that's probably what I'll do to be on the safe side.

But I've said that on the last two occasions, and promptly forgotten to do so, hence only one deauth/authorisation left! :ugh: :p

Bushfiva
6th Mar 2007, 04:50
If you run out of authorizations, it's worth giving Apple a call, explaining it's because of routine equipment upgrades, etc., and they can automagically restore authorizations to you if they're felling kind and understanding.

Golden Ticket
6th Mar 2007, 10:14
Gonzo, I had this issue with iTunes once when it first came out. Managed to get my account locked. All I did email iTunes support (via website) and they informed me it wasn't normal to reset but they would this time. Email should read like you need tech support to plug the computer in, iTunes support were very helpful.

Hope this would sort things out for you, they also reset the whole account so all five activation permissions were restored.

Gonzo
6th Mar 2007, 10:20
Thanks GT.:ok: