PDA

View Full Version : Sioux mounted a Scout

ericferret
4th Mar 2007, 23:46
I've put a thread on the helicopter section about an accident at Wallop in the 70's. Someone suggested posting it hear as well. Before anybody else asks I am not the press!!!!!!

The reason for asking is that a local historian maintains a list of all aircraft accidents in Hampshire going back to WW1 and this one is not listed.

A Scout carried out an auto to the ground on a very wet day and slid for an eternity on the wet grass to a point coinciding with the Siouxs auto landing point. Horrible noisy mess ensued with only minor injuries to person.
Possibly more serious injuries to pride.

The exact date and the aircraft serial numbers are all that is required.
Nobody need know it was you!

ericferret

jonwilly
7th Jan 2009, 00:17
Just to confirm that it did happen. Can't be more helpful other than to say your on the right track.
john

breakscrew
7th Jan 2009, 07:51
Apart from being there at the time, I cannot remember the aircraft numbers. However, I do remember that it has been a topic in the past on these forums, with the answer to the detail you require, so a search should throw up the information.

ericferret
7th Jan 2009, 13:09
I did get the info in the end.

The aircraft that the Scout attempted to mate with was one of Bristows Bell 47G4A's.
The AAIB kindly sent me a copy of the accident report.

ericferret
28th May 2020, 09:55
http://www.ukserials.com/images/losses/xp890.jpg

Came across this.
How nobody was killed is a near miracle.

unclenelli
28th May 2020, 18:57
Eric
The destroyed Westland Bell 47G4A was G-AXKT, registered 22 Jul 1969 at Redhill to Bristows, de-registered 5 Nov 1981 (hours recored as 3571 as at 31 Dec 1979)
(Source: G-INFO)