PDA

View Full Version : Concurrent FI & CPL Training

2close
4th Mar 2007, 20:45
I am about to launch onto both courses, consecutively.

But of course, at this time of the year, in the UK I am somewhat in the lap of the gods regarding weather.

With the FI course, one has the advantage of a significant amount of GS therefore it is easier to reschedule flying and ground training as and when weather permits, not so much with the CPL.

But if both courses are to be run within the same 8 - 10 week period, why can't both courses be run concurrently, thus maximising any periods of good weather for the appropriate sections of flight training from both courses?

As the flight tests for both courses require a high standard of precision during the flight phase the way I see it I'd be getting 55 hours of flying training for each course, as opposed to 30 & 25. There is no regulatory requirement for me to have completed either qualification before the other and in theory I could undertake the FI course training then the CPL course training and afterwards undertake the two flight tests so in this respect I return to my original question. As I intend to undertake both courses with the same provider there is no financial loss to them.

My homework so far seems to indicate that persons undertaking the FI course first seem to find the CPL very straightforward as the level of precision required for the CPL has already been attained on the FI course. This again leads me to the conclusion that it would be of no harm if not beneficial to run both flight training phases concurrently, provided that the FTO maintains separate training records (which they do in any case) and that the training in the pilot's log book is clearly identified.

The good old British weather is so demoralising as far as training goes that I have considered (and still do) going overseas where the sun doth shine but I feel that I would be better off training in the environment I will be teaching, despite the extra cost....grrrrrrr - damned authorities!!!

Any opinions on this?

2close

JUST-local
4th Mar 2007, 22:54
Sounds like a nice way to complete the training.

You must however have the cpl/atpl theory, 150 hours P1 or a CPL to commence the FI(r) course this is a pre-entry requirment. If you have ask your training provider.

Cheers...........

pilgrim flyer
4th Mar 2007, 23:10
Did it myself 4 years ago at the late (though apparently not much lamented) I.F.T.A. in Florida.

Worked fine, did it in a month and a day - April - and only lost a couple of half days due weather.

Bloody hard work, though enjoyable.

PF

2close
5th Mar 2007, 07:34
Thanks for the replies, troops.

I have the ATPL theory exams stowed away, along with 400 hrs TT, a Night Qual (20 hrs night), IMC (55 hrs IF) and an Aeros Cert so I'm all clear on that front and used to unusual attitudes but what is particularly encouraging is that it's been done before, which is always useful ammunition to have when I approach the FTO.

I hadn; really thought of doing it in any shorter period of time than that for running them consecutively - my main reason was to make the best use of any good weather - but of course if it can be done that would help save money on the accommodation fees.

Cheers

2close