PDA

View Full Version : PDA/BT GPS Timeout Problem

Curtis E Carr
3rd Mar 2007, 10:52
I have just purchased a Dell Axim X51v, a Holux GPSlim240 and Pocket Nav. For a week, the GPS was working fine but when I came to fire it up the other day, no joy. The BT conection seems to be ok but I am getting a "GPS: Timeout" message. Settings are as follows:

For the Bluetooth connection:

"Turn on Bluetooth" Checked
"Make this device discoverable...etc" Unchecked
Devices - HOLUX GPSlim240 with "Serial Port" checked
COM Ports - HOLUX GPSlim240 (COM7) with "Secure Connection" checked

In Pocket Nav:

Manufacturer SiRF
Model Binary Mode (greyed out)
Port COM 7
Baud 38400

"Disable auto power-off" Checked
"Debug" Unchecked

Under Start--->Settings--->System--->GPS:

GPS Program port - none
GPS Hardware port - none
Access - "Manage GPS Automatically" checked.

When tapping the blue "i" icon bottom right of Pockect Nav, all I get is a "GPS: Timeout" dialgue box.

Needless to say, I am not getting a poistion shown on the map, nether can I pickup any satellites.

Any assistance will be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Curtis

Keef
3rd Mar 2007, 13:03
I don't know that model, but it looks to me as if the GPS isn't connected.

I'd be inclined to go through the Bluetooth "pairing" routine again.

I assume the GPS battery is fully charged?

Curtis E Carr
3rd Mar 2007, 13:09
Hi Keef

It is fully charged and have re-pairedit several times.

I'm forming the opinion that the BT GPS is faulty.

Thanks, anyway.

Keef
3rd Mar 2007, 13:26
Is it actually pairing, and reporting as "paired"?

If you go into Control Panel - System- Hardware - Device Manager, does the GPS appear anywhere? Is there any error message?

Take a look there in Ports (COM & LPT) to see what it says about COM7. I had terrible trouble with a Bluetooth dongle that added another batch of COM ports every time it was plugged in. The software was looking for it on COM8; it had got to something like COM96 when I finally went into "proper diagnosis" mode.

You might need to turn on "View" - "Show hidden devices" to see all the COM ports that have been allocated, if they aren't connected at the time.

IO540
3rd Mar 2007, 17:43
I can't help in this case but have played enough with bluetooth to offer this advice:

1) Bluetooth is cr*p and often simply doesn't work (outside the "high street" scene e.g. mobile phone headsets)

2) When you get it working, don't play with it. Just leave it. Use the absolute minimal function set.

Curtis E Carr
4th Mar 2007, 20:28
Thanks for the replies, y'all.

Have taken it to a friend that knows about these things. He ran a hyperterminal session which generated strange replies from the GPS. There seems to be a problem with the bluetooth connection from the GPS (tried unsuccessfully to connect to another machine).

Back to the supplier next week, methinks.

planecrazy.eu
5th Mar 2007, 11:00
I had some problems with my IPAQ...

It wouldnt connect to my Nokia phone, but i went to the HP website and downloaded a bluetooth update, and now it works perfect...

TOMTOM Bluetooth gps works fine too, but i had installed this after the update, some maybe its in the update???

Might help, but doubt it...