PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Liquid

Rwy in Sight
3rd Mar 2007, 09:20
Last month I had my first contact with the new liquid regulations involving two bottles of wine and my worries about clothes in my bag where bottles where stored for the flight. Bad bad experience...

During my talk with the airport officials I was told that the liquid definition is very very wide including gels, or thick marmelade kind of food. So the question is where is a precise definition of what is a liquid according to the rule making authorities or an official with a lack of leadership concept can confiscate practically everything not rock solid?

I am concerned about the toiletries (foam tootpaste and deodorant) that I like to take on board. And one more question: What do you do about your shaving gear (put in check in bag and pray that it's not lost?)

Rwy in Sight

CHIVILCOY
3rd Mar 2007, 11:42
I just carry everything I want to take on board in 100ml containers - don't know where you are based but in the UK Tesco do a travel range of every product imaginable in 100ml sizes.
As for shaving I have never encountered any problems with my throw away razors, after all every decent amenity kit has them.
Duty free booze is something I just don't buy nowadays as I can't be bothered to find out what the regualtions are in every country or continent I go to - flying is not much of a pleasure anymore.:*

Departures Beckham
3rd Mar 2007, 12:28
Take a look at www.dft.gov.uk/airportsecurity for what is included in the list of "liquids" ... but this doesn't neccesarily mean that everything else isn't!

PAXboy
3rd Mar 2007, 12:34
DP from all that I have seen and read about this farrago, the answers are:-So the question is where is a precise definition of what is a liquid according to the rule making authoritiesAny definition that exists may be ignored by ...

an official with a lack of leadership concept can confiscate practically everything not rock solid?Yes they can and do.

As in so many things in the UK, 'discretion' is placed into the regulation with the purported intention of allowing flexibility and local variations and "so as not to be handing down instructions from above" and other politico speak. The result is that they can what they want and it is worse than having central control because there is no control.

3rd Mar 2007, 17:53
I suppose a block of ice is technically within the regulations...

lexxity
3rd Mar 2007, 19:39
At Manchester it definitely falls within the regulations, as reported in "Plane Talking" last month a lady tried to take two bottles of frozen water through.

Married a Canadian
3rd Mar 2007, 19:48
I had two tins of Baked beans (sealed/unopened with shopping receipt) confiscated from my hand luggage at Heathrow because in the words of the security officer...."they are dipped in liquid"

So there ye go...add Heinz tomato baked bean sauce to the list of banned liquids.

Rush2112
4th Mar 2007, 00:54
"Baked beans in terror alert at airports across the world!" - I can just see the Daily Mail now...

I have to go to Taipei tomorrow and see from SIA's website they have upped their regs. Presumably I will have to go to my meetings sans deoderant and aftershave, nice.

I guess if you can take the amenity kits off the plane you are OK for brushing teeth or shaving although I use an electric shaver, but mouthwash? Also, can the airlines supply enough amenity kits?!!?

The backlash will eventually come from the duty free retailers I suppose.

Rwy in Sight
4th Mar 2007, 07:38
Rush2112,

Thanks for raising my second point:

Since the definition depends on the mood of the controling official (God save us from the frustration and complexes from ladies with PMT and Gents that cant get laid) I am concerned about having to buy shaving foam, toothpaste, deodorant in small 100 cc containers. I understand one may find them small package now and then but unfortunately they are not easy to find.

Rwy in Sight

Rush2112
4th Mar 2007, 09:55
Rwy in Sight:

As a previous poster noted, in the UK you can easily find them, Body Shop in particular has lots of sizes has done for years.

I've just spent a fruitless 2 hours trogging round Singers looking for mini-sized packs and struck out totally. Even Body Shop which we have here is hopeless. To be fair there were some women's toiletries even in a handy zippable clear plastic bag which I nearly bought just for the bag but the mrs wasn't keen on the stuff in there(!)

Luckily my toothpaste is a small tube and I have some deodourant which is almost finished - hopefully enough for a squirting Tuesday morning!! if not... :eek:

Llademos
5th Mar 2007, 12:32
RiS,
It is possible to have no liquids in a toiletries bag ... right down to the powder toothpaste! Dove soap foams enough to treble up as shaving foam and shampoo. For anti-perspirant, there is now powder deoderant. And it is very satisfying to take everything through without having to unpack/bag up, although the other day the BAA muppets were stopping everyone just before the entrance to T1 security and insisting they bagged up liquids/put handbags in cases etc etc there and then, thuis holding everyone else up too.
Ll